Author Topic: Terrorist attacks in Norway  (Read 48550 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Terrorist attacks in Norway
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 08:54:17 PM »
1848: Norwegian police say they believe there is a connection between the Oslo bombing and Labour party youth camp shootings on the island of Utoeya.
1854: BBC security correspondent Gordon Correra says it is significant that the Norwegian police say they believe the Oslo bomb and Labour youth camp shootings are related.

"Significant," how?  That they're not braindead enough to bet on this being a really frickin' huge coincidence?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 10:50:20 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43857267/ns/world_news-europe/

The suspect in the twin attacks Friday that killed dozens of people in Norway was identified early Saturday as a 32-year-old Norwegian farmer.

TV2, the country's largest broadcaster, and the newspaper Dagbladet identified him as Anders Behring Breivik, 32, describing him as a member of right-wing extremist groups. Shortly thereafter, The Telegraph newspaper of London reported the same information, citing Norwegian Justice Minister Knut Storberget.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 10:51:03 PM »
All I can say is holy *expletive deleted*.  AP reporting more than 80 dead in the shooting.  NSFW due to a graphic tasteless image.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 11:26:06 PM »
My sympathies and prayers to the Norwegians.   :'(
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 11:53:26 PM »
 Horrifying, apparently he lured the victims by dressing as a police officer.

I expect this to be copied by other terrorist.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2011, 06:05:38 AM »
Horrifying, apparently he lured the victims by dressing as a police officer.

I expect this to be copied by other terrorist.

This is a common terrorist tactic. In conflict zones, some of them will even deliberately pose as government officials and commit war crimes to agitate the population against their enemies.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Iain

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2011, 07:24:22 AM »
There's a photo going round, taken from a helicopter probably, that is the most devastating thing I've ever seen. Blurry but clear enough to see that a child in the water begs for his life, surrounded by bodies as the gunman aims at him from the shore.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2011, 07:52:41 AM »
So they could take pictures of him in action but nobody could shoot back at the SOB. I can't tell you how much that pisses me off.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2011, 10:25:33 AM »
Apparently it was a media helicopter, and they weren't sure what was going on and what they were filming.

Free Republic has been an interesting read.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »
I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the updated toll this morning and started to get the real gist of the thing. Damn, there are no words.  =(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »
Total of 92 dead. Wow.  :mad:
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2011, 11:33:14 AM »
And my wife wonders why I have "arms" in the house ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2011, 12:43:22 PM »
OK, you're in a dam helicopter and you cant think of something? anything? to help save those kids??!! :mad: :facepalm:

1st stop filming and throw things at him! personally I would be tempted to fly right into him ( I don't know how feasible that is/not a copter pilot )

There has got to be something you can do rather than merely observing
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2011, 01:07:32 PM »
I read of at least people on that island that were certainly close enough to the gunman that that could have concievably mounted a counter-attack.  I don't get why somebody didn't try.  Pick up a number of rocks and hurl them at him while charging.  Between that element of surprise and his instinctual reflex to dodge the rocks you might be able to close to contact distance.  Save at least one rock to bash his skull with if you make it to him. 

Might have been futile, but there were charges like that against school shooters here in the USA that were successful (Thurston HS in Springfield, OR comes to mind). 
Formerly sumpnz

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 03:13:22 PM »
Smells to me. If you're a neo-nazi loon, why attack the gov't center? Why a bunch of presumably Norwegian youth? If you're that wound up about immigrants and Muslims wouldn't it make more sense to attack an immigrant population center? It may come out to be a lone neo-nazi nut but if so it is the dumbest attack of all time for furthering their political objectives. Kinda like the McVeigh (had help) attack was soo perfect for shutting up the lunatic fringe here. At a perfect political time no less. I hate coincidences.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2011, 03:39:28 PM »
OK, you're in a dam helicopter and you cant think of something? anything? to help save those kids??!! :mad: :facepalm:

1st stop filming and throw things at him! personally I would be tempted to fly right into him ( I don't know how feasible that is/not a copter pilot )

People fall back to their training/what they know best to do. Journalists know best to take photographs/video. In fact it's in the training of many reporters to keep taking photographs/video even when it's downright death-defying to do so.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2011, 04:30:49 PM »
Smells to me. If you're a neo-nazi loon, why attack the gov't center? Why a bunch of presumably Norwegian youth? If you're that wound up about immigrants and Muslims wouldn't it make more sense to attack an immigrant population center? It may come out to be a lone neo-nazi nut but if so it is the dumbest attack of all time for furthering their political objectives. Kinda like the McVeigh (had help) attack was soo perfect for shutting up the lunatic fringe here. At a perfect political time no less. I hate coincidences.
Social democratic youth org had their annual camp on the island, so I'm guessing it makes perfect sense if you are a fcuking nutcase.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2011, 07:03:59 PM »

the rotars would have made quick work of him. :mad: and yes i would have risked it. =| but then that's probably why i'll never have the chance to fly one. [tinfoil]

birdman

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2011, 09:12:24 PM »
the rotars would have made quick work of him. :mad: and yes i would have risked it. =| but then that's probably why i'll never have the chance to fly one. [tinfoil]

Until he shoots the pilot, who crashes into the crowd he was trying to save...close contact CAS is hard enough for pros, let alone a (probably retired military) civilian pilot.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2011, 09:54:20 PM »
My opinion is that this is a good example of why adults should be able to be armed. A couple of armed individuals might have been able to stop the killer.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2011, 12:19:44 AM »
Yep..  total whacko and yes...  there is a manifesto:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=89a_1311444384

The manifesto is 1500 pages so if somebody wants to gin up the cliff's notes version....

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2011, 01:01:28 AM »
Yep..  total whacko and yes...  there is a manifesto:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=89a_1311444384

The manifesto is 1500 pages so if somebody wants to gin up the cliff's notes version....

My Norwegian isn't that good.

Just horrifying and no, I'm not going to watch the video.   Rumor has it that the max punishment he'll face is 21 years in jail.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2011, 01:39:59 AM »
My opinion is that this is a good example of why adults should be able to be armed. A couple of armed individuals might have been able to stop the killer.

Two with even remotely decent tactics certainly could have; approach from opposite directions, and one will be flanking him regardless of who he focuses on first.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2011, 02:12:00 AM »
I'd think 10 unarmed people could deal with a guy with a Glock if they rushed him all at once.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2011, 04:02:53 AM »
My Norwegian isn't that good.

Just horrifying and no, I'm not going to watch the video.   Rumor has it that the max punishment he'll face is 21 years in jail.
From what I understood, after 21 years he'll be evaluated for release, then again every 5 years...so I don't think he's ever getting out.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila