Author Topic: The Safety Razor  (Read 47528 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: The Safety Razor
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2013, 07:01:38 AM »
FWIW, I've been using Shark brand blades lately.  I really like them.  They seem to last longer than others and shave better.

Chris

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2013, 11:45:21 AM »
Getting ready to take the plunge... and I'm pretty sure I'm going to permanently replace the cartridge razor for the DE safety razor, so I'm looking at taking a step up from the aforementioned Weishi razors. I'm looking at the Merkur 33C Classic, the 34C Heavy Duty, the 23C Long Handle, and the 47C Long Handle razors. Suggestions on which one to start with?
I have used my Merkur 1904 Classic with a closed comb (pretty similar to the 33C Classic) exclusively for about four months.  Never tried a long handle, but don't think it is necessary for me.  There's a learning curve, but it does a fine job once you get past that.

The cheap Astra blades I bought with the razor are still working okay for me, and changing them out once a week makes it easy to keep a sharp blade.  I did buy some Wilkinson Sword blades recently to try soon.

My first DE shave was with conventional shaving cream.  Meh.  With the Mach 3, I just used water, but knew I'd need something more with the DE.  Later, I tried using my wife's conditioner, which did an okay job but needed to be reapplied between passes.  The past week or so I've used Shave Secret shaving oil.  It has greatly reduced irritation, but it slows the blade down as you shave which makes it feel like it isn't lubricating as much as I'd like.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2013, 11:19:22 PM »
Guess what came today?  =D

An Edwin Jagger 89L, sampler pack of blades, Palmolive shave stick, and shaving brush. Looking forward to trying it this weekend.
Andy

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2013, 02:02:20 PM »
I was in Woodfield Mall the other day (First mall I've been in since the late '80's) and there was a store called "The Art of Shaving".

I got a new pure badger brush, matching stand and a Merkur Solingen Safety Razor.  I just order the $32 blade sampler pack from West Coast Shaving (Their website is very slow and clunky.)

I'll report my findings on blades once they arrive, but barring slicing my face up, I'm not that metrosexual to get into the finer differences.  It either takes off the stubble and lasts more then a couple of shaves or it doesn't.

I've still got 5 or 6 bars of Burma Shave soap, but I'm starting to get worried about my supply. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2013, 02:14:26 PM »
Art of Shaving is terribly expensive.  We've had them here in NoVA for a few years.

Chris

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2013, 02:21:36 PM »
Art of Shaving is terribly expensive.  We've had them here in NoVA for a few years.

Chris

That is because it is owned by Procter & Gamble.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2013, 03:39:25 PM »
Art of Shaving is pricey but their stuff is usually at least decent.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #207 on: March 17, 2013, 11:48:20 PM »
I found a weird place downtown called "Dandy's"  (  http://www.dandysuit.com/ )
Really cool store with  really nice people, but a bunch of their straight razors were in terrible shape.  I saw wavy edges,  and some horrible regrinds.