Author Topic: Obama to Landlords: "Rent to Criminals"  (Read 11350 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Obama to Landlords: "Rent to Criminals"
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2016, 12:39:21 PM »
The Certifiably Better Than US(1) sort that runs this country hates you, men and our sort.  Which is why they are planting Sec 8 housing, granting housing vouchers, and suchlike in the 'burbs while simultaneously bulldozing housing projects in places they'd like to gentrify.

We just need to understand that they hate us and want to rub our noses in it.

(1) It's true!  They have degrees in poli-sci or victim-studies from Brown, Yale, or Dartmouth.

Roo_ster gets it.

The section 8 housing in the burbs is not about opportunity, its about political warfare.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2016, 12:42:54 PM »
Keeping in mind from a social aspect, people who have affordable housing tend to commit crime less than those that don't.

I'm not trying to say that criminals shouldn't be punished, but the punishment should end some time, and it's a known fact that failure to re-integrate with society is a prime indicator for further criminals acts, and that gets expensive.

A job, housing, food, etc...  If a ex-con can get these, he's more likely to stay an ex-con rather than revert back to convict.

So, I guess we should give everyone free housing to assure they stay "nice guys."   Sounds expensive....... [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 02:06:33 PM »
Keeping in mind from a social aspect, people who have affordable housing tend to commit crime less than those that don't.

I'm not trying to say that criminals shouldn't be punished, but the punishment should end some time, and it's a known fact that failure to re-integrate with society is a prime indicator for further criminals acts, and that gets expensive.

A job, housing, food, etc...  If a ex-con can get these, he's more likely to stay an ex-con rather than revert back to convict.
If you want to have "affordable" housing, then lets work on affordable housing and NOT government funded housing.  I hope everyone realizes that the same people who are pushing government funded housing are responsible for housing being expensive in the first place.  Zoning, building permits, etc, etc all work together to push up the cost of housing making it more difficult to build and maintain housing that is actually affordable.  You can call them slums, but they used to have cheap stuff that was affordable.  The do-gooders decided to get rid of them then turned around and complained about "affordable housing".  

It doesn't matter how well intended govt regulations are, they almost always increase costs and paperwork and do little to actually improve conditions. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 02:10:29 PM »
If that's the full story, in jail for failing to pay fines on administrative violations sounds a lot like debtor's prison to me.
I don't mean to nit pick, but I thought debtor's prisons were places they stuck people who had debt.  They didn't get any credit for being there.  I don't have any problem with a sentence that is Jail OR fine as long as the extra jail time cancels out the fine.  I have never gotten in that situation so I don't know how it is set up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 02:28:14 PM »
What about the deadbeat dads/moms that won't pay child support.  Too many of them in my experience would go sit in jail and then earn money as a trustee, which went on their commissary account instead of to the support of the child(ren).

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 02:56:56 PM »
If that's the full story, in jail for failing to pay fines on administrative violations sounds a lot like debtor's prison to me.

I saw his release papers once he got out.  (Drove him to the DPS office to get his license reinstated.)  Not a malum in se[/a] among the offenses.  All registration, inspection, driving on suspended license, etc.

I don't have any problem with a sentence that is Jail OR fine as long as the extra jail time cancels out the fine.

This, or more practically, allow some sort of useful service at a significantly higher payoff rate than sitting in a cell eating the county's food.  Parker County was $240/day for just tying up their resources, so $500/8-10hr day of actual productive work that benefits the county seems reasonable when paired with that.  (Personally, I'd but both in half for a base rate in most cases, but allow higher pay for skilled and/or harder work if appropriate, plus merit-based bonuses so the guy working his butt off gets a benefit over the one doing the bare minimum to avoid a contempt charge. After all, why waste a carpenter picking up trash when there's remodeling to be done, or have a mechanic sweeping sidewalks when the county's vehicles need maintenance?)  Provide water and pickle loaf sandwiches for meals, (though since they're not actually in custody, leave the option of buying food elsewhere as long as hours are met) and an unsecured bunk and bathroom (think barracks; could fit a half dozen in any unused office) for the out-of-towners doing multi-day payoffs, and it's still cheaper than dealing with all the hassles of incarcerating them.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 04:07:33 PM »
What about the deadbeat dads/moms that won't pay child support.  Too many of them in my experience would go sit in jail and then earn money as a trustee, which went on their commissary account instead of to the support of the child(ren).

I was thinking of fines.  I don't see where on-going debts to a 3rd party should be included.  They usually dock their pay which is probably all you can do.  At some point, some of that blame goes back to the mother who had a kid with a bum. 

IMO, you can't develop a system that solves everyone's problems for them. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 05:57:39 PM »
I hope everyone realizes that the same people who are pushing government funded housing are responsible for housing being expensive in the first place.  Zoning, building permits, etc, etc all work together to push up the cost of housing making it more difficult to build and maintain housing that is actually affordable.  You can call them slums, but they used to have cheap stuff that was affordable.  The do-gooders decided to get rid of them then turned around and complained about "affordable housing".

Can I get a big AMEN!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 06:06:36 PM »
IMO, you can't develop a system that solves everyone's problems for them.

Think you can convince 535 idiots of that?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 07:12:28 PM »
Great, lets turn your block into a section 8 housing experiment. Leave mine alone.

Certainly, I'll just direct them over your way for their forays into robbery.

Depending on the crime(s) and the length of time being incarcerated, some ex-cons aren't able to be reintegrated.   

No argument there, which is why I emphasized 'tend'. 

You need to realize that a lot of the ones that don't "successfully reintegrate" don't want to do so. They are continuing to commit crimes and return to jail because that is the way of life they love.

You need to realize that a lot of the ones that don't successfully reintegrate are also "let down" by the system, in that they're warehoused for X years, given no skills useful in the outside world, and come out barely qualified to be a janitor. 

Like I've said earlier - I'm not happy about 'giving' criminals benefits like education, but I view it as a practical matter - programs that concentrate on the problems that cause criminals to commit crimes tend to work about 80% of the time at keeping the criminal from coming back.  Not having such a program is about 30% effective.  This is expensive.  It is expensive in crime because you have a revolving door policy.  It's expensive in police, because you have more criminals committing more crimes, and have to catch & process said criminals.  It's expensive in courts, as you have more cases to prosecute.  It's expensive in prison, because you end up with 3X as many people in them.

I don't want those mother *expletive deleted*ers living in my neighborhood or working alongside me because the hug a thug *expletive deleted*tards think "Oh if we just force landlords to give them housing and companies to hire them under threat of being sued then everything will be hunky dory!"

As opposed to them breaking into your place because they can't find a place to live, can't get a job, and thus just go back to the life of crime.  Keep in mind that they also tend to escalate.  I'd rather fix the problem the first time when they're in for something relatively petty.

I want these criminal shits with mile long violent crime rap sheets where they belong- in the bottom of a ditch with a .22 hole in the back of their heads. Problem solved, problem staying solved.

No argument here.  However, you do realize that the article isn't really about them, right?  How about the 'criminal *expletive deleted*it' with a single page rap sheet, one conviction for petty shoplifting?  Or one assault plea?  The discrimination policy isn't that you can't consider their criminal records.  It's that you can't use the mere presence of a criminal record as a disqualifier. 

The Certifiably Better Than US(1) sort that runs this country hates you, men and our sort.  Which is why they are planting Sec 8 housing, granting housing vouchers, and suchlike in the 'burbs while simultaneously bulldozing housing projects in places they'd like to gentrify.

The projects generally turned out to be utter failures.  You get less crime problems, believe it or not, spreading people out.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 07:32:56 PM »
It's expensive in prison, because you end up with 3X as many people in them.

Prisons are a big business.  Recidivism is good for business.
"It's good, though..."

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 07:56:24 PM »
Prisons are a big business.  Recidivism is good for business.

Correct, sadly.  But while I consider prisons a sad necessity of government, it's one of the things that I think should be small.  Keep petty criminals out of them.  You should utilize every measure necessary to keep petty criminals from learning to be major criminals while in them.  It's simply a matter of protection for us, I think.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 08:19:41 PM »
Back to landlords...
The problem with criminals is that they tend to make the wrong decisions- all the time.
If you are forced to rent to someone (or at least cannot vet people based on criminal history) the odds are that you are going to get a tenant that is either going to do a stint in jail while renting from you or is going to make such poor financial decisions that they aren't going to pay you. Either way, the landlord loses.

If I were to get into the property management business, I would run credit checks on potential renters- a credit rating should be enough to tell if they are going to be a good tenant or not.
 Of course if the president makes it illegal to deny a potential renter because 'criminal' is a new protected class, then technically its a usurpation of property rights of the landlord which no amount of liberal drivel and good intentions can whitewash over.

Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 09:28:08 PM »
Certainly, I'll just direct them over your way for their forays into robbery.

No argument there, which is why I emphasized 'tend'. 

You need to realize that a lot of the ones that don't successfully reintegrate are also "let down" by the system, in that they're warehoused for X years, given no skills useful in the outside world, and come out barely qualified to be a janitor. 

Most those who end up in prison are not that bright.  Janitor is their "stretch goal."

Like I've said earlier - I'm not happy about 'giving' criminals benefits like education, but I view it as a practical matter - programs that concentrate on the problems that cause criminals to commit crimes tend to work about 80% of the time at keeping the criminal from coming back.  Not having such a program is about 30% effective.  This is expensive.  It is expensive in crime because you have a revolving door policy.  It's expensive in police, because you have more criminals committing more crimes, and have to catch & process said criminals.  It's expensive in courts, as you have more cases to prosecute.  It's expensive in prison, because you end up with 3X as many people in them.

Fox Butterfield, Is That You?

No matter how long we polish that turd with taxpayer dollars, it will still be a turd.  Programs piled on top of programs does not help.  The number one thing we can do to reduce crime is to keep criminals in jail longer.

Butterfield was noted for writing a sequence of articles[11] discussing the "paradox" of crime rates falling while the prison population grew due to tougher sentencing guidelines, without ever considering the possibility that the tougher sentencing guidelines may have reduced crime by causing criminals to be imprisoned.[6][12] "The Butterfield Effect" is often brought up by James Taranto in his column for the online editorial page of the Wall Street Journal called Best of the Web Today, typically bringing up a headline that displays the effect with the joke "Fox Butterfield, Is That You?".

The thing is, gov't policy has made it harder and harder for law-abiding, hard-working folks with room-temp IQs to get jobs.  Toss in a penchant for criminality and you have a hopeless case amenable to no cure--no matter how many taxpayers' dollars we throw at it.

The projects generally turned out to be utter failures.  You get less crime problems, believe it or not, spreading people out.

No you don't.  The criminals' system is disrupted for a bit, causing crime to go down--until the network is re-established.  Memphis was the first study done on this phenomenon.  Again:
1. Initial period of disruption resulting in lower crime rate / fewer crimes.
2. Crime rate rises to previous level when networks re-established. 

Except that now you have screwed all the folks who assiduously did the right thing all their lives (work hard, stay out of trouble, save for a down payment, etc.) by planting ghetto trash in their neighborhood to flourish.

The social engineers need to shove a social pile driver up their fourth point of contact and let 'er rip.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 12:14:45 AM »
If I were to get into the property management business, I would run credit checks on potential renters- a credit rating should be enough to tell if they are going to be a good tenant or not.
I'd wager there would quickly be a claim of disparate impact there too.

http://www.illinoisassetbuilding.org/sites/default/files/IMPACT_Trapped%20by%20Credit_2014.pdf

brimic

• friends
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 12:19:18 AM »

Barack Obama

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 03:00:52 AM »
No matter how long we polish that turd with taxpayer dollars, it will still be a turd.  Programs piled on top of programs does not help.  The number one thing we can do to reduce crime is to keep criminals in jail longer.

Except longer prison sentences don't work.  It's lead to the USA having the highest prison population in the world.  Yes, we have more prisoners than China.  Long prison sentences INCREASE the odds they'll reoffend when they get out.  Unless you want to pay for life in prison for just about everything, we need prison reform.  Why?  Because it's cheaper.

Programs piled onto programs?  Generally not.  What you think of as 'programs piled on top of programs' tends to actually be a number of 'pilot projects' at different prisons, and many of them end without renewal, despite promising results.

Now yes, I don't support 'programs piled on programs', instead supporting a consolidated effort, but we at least need to make the effort.

Turns out, polishing a seems to work surprisingly well.

Reform works.

The thing is, gov't policy has made it harder and harder for law-abiding, hard-working folks with room-temp IQs to get jobs.  Toss in a penchant for criminality and you have a hopeless case amenable to no cure--no matter how many taxpayers' dollars we throw at it.

Well, yeah, but how about proposing some specifics?  What sort of changes would you make to increase the number of jobs available?

Except that now you have screwed all the folks who assiduously did the right thing all their lives (work hard, stay out of trouble, save for a down payment, etc.) by planting ghetto trash in their neighborhood to flourish.

Of course, you're projecting that I actually support that stuff.  I was merely reporting what I've heard - you get less crime with them spread out. 

Or don't you realize that crime, especially violent crime, has dropped rather drastically over the last couple decades?

Ghetto trash are that way mostly because they grew up in a ghetto.  Their kids start losing those attributes if not raised there.  Just like immigrants, it's going to take a few generations.  Also, not all of those from a ghetto are criminals.

As for screwing people - when the new system is actually cheaper and lowers crime, I don't see how it's screwing them.

Or are you the type that considers yourself screwed when they take a homeless person costing $40k/year on average and stick them in a house for $16k?  Do they lament all the way to the bank to deposit that $24k?

To be clear, I'm not some sort of liberal.  I'm not for 'pie in the sky' policies.  I'm for evidence based policies.  When people demand the more expensive solution that leads to more human suffering, I see them to be as ignorant as the liberals that put policies in place that destroyed families, economies, etc...

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 07:29:23 AM »
To be clear, I'm not some sort of liberal.  

Yea, you just play one on the internet.

Moving criminals into low crime suburbs and subsidizing them with tax dollars is neither conservative nor libertarian.

Destroying property rights (and property values eventually) by forbidding property owners to take into account credit scores and criminal records when leasing their property is neither conservative nor libertarian.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2016, 07:34:21 AM »

Or don't you realize that crime, especially violent crime, has dropped rather drastically over the last couple decades?

I believe most studies would attribute this to the rise in CCW across the nation.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 07:39:34 AM »
There is a demographic aspect also.

Fewer males in the prime crime committing age brackets IIRC as well as a good percentage of a sub group of that demographic, who commit a disproportionate amount of crime, being in jail.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2016, 08:28:20 AM »
I'm for evidence based policies. 

I've noticed that over the years, but you seem to look for evidence that the government is properly managing the people, to ensure we're all healthy, productive citizens. Like the man said, "I do not hold to that."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 09:33:09 AM »
Except longer prison sentences don't work. 

Shorter prison sentences don't work.  It is a simple matter that if criminals are not punished for their crimes, they will keep doing the crimes.  We should look at what crimes we are focusing on and punishing, but harsher punishment does work.  It is basic human nature. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2016, 09:55:19 AM »
I don't object to shorter prison sentences, so long as we're open to coupling them with hard labor, corporal punishment of violent offenders, etc.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 11:01:53 AM »
Except longer prison sentences don't work. 

Sure they do, Fox.  Every day spent in prison is a day they are unable to victimize the rest of society. 

It's lead to the USA having the highest prison population in the world.  Yes, we have more prisoners than China.  Long prison sentences INCREASE the odds they'll reoffend when they get out.  Unless you want to pay for life in prison for just about everything, we need prison reform.  Why?  Because it's cheaper.

Are you not aware that China is chock full of Chinamen?  AKA, "The demographic on the face of the earth with the lowest rate of violent crime?"  NE asian decent crime rate is a smallish fraction of the white/euro crime rate.  On the scale of 0.25 to 0.33 relative to white/euro rates.  But, America is also ~13% black (~8.0 vs white) and 13+% hispanic (2.5 vs white), with their higher rates of violent crime.

It should come as no surprise that we have more prisoners, since America has a population several times more criminally inclined than China.

======

Prison reform is not cheaper.  Oh, maybe in gov't expenditures, but the cost to the citizens of crime is much, much more than that.  The cost of crime victimization is almost never accounted for.  And almost never comes out of the hides of those proposing the "reforms."

And yes, life in prison for career criminals is cheaper, if we take into account the cost of crimes imposed on victims.

Programs piled onto programs?  Generally not.  What you think of as 'programs piled on top of programs' tends to actually be a number of 'pilot projects' at different prisons, and many of them end without renewal, despite promising results.

Now yes, I don't support 'programs piled on programs', instead supporting a consolidated effort, but we at least need to make the effort.

Turns out, polishing a seems to work surprisingly well.

Reform works.

The New Republic article talks a lot about cost, but never gets down to brass tacks: violent crime rates

Overall, since he was elected at the end of 2010, Georgia’s incarcerated population dropped from an estimated 56,432 to 53,383 at the start of this year. That reduction virtually slashed the state’s backlog of inmates in county jails who were waiting to be transferred to a prison or probation detention center. Keeping inmates in local jails typically cost the state $20 million annually. Without the backlog, the cost associated with transferring inmates “plummeted to $40,720,” per the Georgia Council on Criminal Justice Reform February 2015 report.

Wonderful.  How's about we look at the murder rate in 2010 and 2014?

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/gacrime.htm
Code: [Select]
yr pop         murders rate
2010 9,712,157 555 5.71449E-05
2014 10,097,343 580 5.74409E-05

Slightly UP since 2010.  But, since this is Georgia, most of the increase in murder victims is in the black community, who cares as long as the gov't is spending less?  Amirite?  I guess black lives really don't matter--to prison reformers.  [For an exercise in how policritters manipulate the data, look at the source data.  Most rate calculations carried out to FIVE significant digits.  But not murder, the most reliable (for many reasons) index of violent crime.  Only TWO significant digits.  That allows the data compiler to show no change between 2010 and 2014.  "5.7 per 100k"  Well, if you go out to THREE significant digits, as would be usual mathematical practice when the operation's number with the fewest sig digits is three, you see the rate tick up a smidge.  Granted, this is barely shading hte numbers relative to many other manipulations.]

Given that law & order is one of the few legitimate powers of gov't, I don;t mind paying to keep "Feral Americans" locked up.

Well, yeah, but how about proposing some specifics?  What sort of changes would you make to increase the number of jobs available?

Let me make this as plain as I can: Criminally-inclined low-IQ folks are unemployable.  In past times, before the advent of gov't-run large prison, they would have been hanged and their bodies left hanging to rot as an example to others.  They would have finally become of use as compost.  Seeing as we are so far advanced & all, nowadays we let them out of prison periodically to prey on their communities until they are caught again.

The only thing you can hope for is divine intervention, because it is beyond the power of man and his institutions to fix some problems.

For the non-criminally-inclined low-IQ folk, we can stop kicking them in the gut (while quoting Ayn Rand and ridiculing them by sneering, "Muh jerbs! Muh jerbs!") by reducing the number of immigrants, illegal and otherwise, into the the USA to compete with them for jobs.  We can also keep the criminally-inclined native-born in prison so they neither compete for the same pool of jobs nor victimize them.

Of course, you're projecting that I actually support that stuff.  I was merely reporting what I've heard - you get less crime with them spread out. 

I am sure you would not intend for your social engineering experiment to result in adverse consequences.  But, then, that is the nature of unintended consequences.

Fox Butterfield, Is That You?

Funny how that drop coincides with the drastic increase in incarceration. 

Ghetto trash are that way mostly because they grew up in a ghetto.  Their kids start losing those attributes if not raised there.  Just like immigrants, it's going to take a few generations.  Also, not all of those from a ghetto are criminals.

Yeah, not so much.  Turns out Finns in Minnesota's Iron Range have crime rates similar to those of Finns in Finland.  Han Chinese in Taiwan, Signapore, the USA, and the Chinese mainland have similar crime rates.  And that those with West African heritage have crime rates comparable to one another when living in the USA or West Africa.  I could go on, but shared and non-shared environment account for somewhere south of 50% of outcome.  We understand this with other critters, but develop a block when it comes to humans.  A wolf pup taken from wild wolf parents and raised in a litter of border collies does not become a fine shepherd's companion.

Captive wolf puppies are usually taken from their mother at the age of 14 days, preferably no later than 21 days.[2] Wolf pups require more socialisation than dog pups, and will typically stop responding to socialisation at the age of 19 days, as opposed to dogs which can still be socialised at the age of 16 weeks. For the first four months of their lives, wolf pups need to be kept isolated from adult canines, except for a few brief visits per week, in order for them to properly imprint on humans.[2] Pups will typically develop behavioural abnormalities if raised without another member of their own kind...

American biologist, Stanley P. Young, described tame wolves as thus:
Generally speaking, on the basis of their experience, tame wolves are strictly "one-man dogs". They may be confiding and playful with the man who raised them, or even with his whole family, if fed and cared for by them, but they are suspicious and timid in the presence of strangers. They invariably retain certain reactions of wolf nature, as for instance, an incorrigible desire to kill chickens or other small livestock whenever opportunity arises.

[Now, the liberal/progressive sort have been working backwards in time/age.  Thus the call for "early intervention" and the emphasis on the failed Head Start program.  KG is too late, they find.  So is pre-school.  I guess the next step is to strip the mother of their child at birth and then maybe hte fertilized egg from thier uterus as the final solution when all the other programs fail.]

If we keep our view narrow and look only at the USA, your contention has been shown false.  See just this social engineering experiment in Memphis, TN. 

And your contention that immigrants soak up the magic emanating from the soil over a few generations to become indistinguishable from Americans also has problems with reality on the, uh, ground.  The vast majority do better the second gen due to increased English facility, but then stagnate and become more criminally inclined than their immigrant ancestors.

As for screwing people - when the new system is actually cheaper and lowers crime, I don't see how it's screwing them.

Or are you the type that considers yourself screwed when they take a homeless person costing $40k/year on average and stick them in a house for $16k?  Do they lament all the way to the bank to deposit that $24k?

It may be cheaper for gov't.  And the most reliable crime stat--murder--did not show improvement after implementation. 

Do you meet many "homeless" people?  Most are nucking futz and a small proportion are in their right mind, but scam-minded.  And another small proportion are actually folk who rolled snake eyes, but have hte capacity to recover.  Plainly put: the majority belong in an asylum. 

To be clear, I'm not some sort of liberal.  I'm not for 'pie in the sky' policies.  I'm for evidence based policies.  When people demand the more expensive solution that leads to more human suffering, I see them to be as ignorant as the liberals that put policies in place that destroyed families, economies, etc...

Heh.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2016, 11:08:19 AM »
Are you not aware that China is chock full of Chinamen?  AKA, "The demographic on the face of the earth with the lowest rate of violent crime?"  NE asian decent crime rate is a smallish fraction of the white/euro crime rate.  On the scale of 0.25 to 0.33 relative to white/euro rates.  But, America is also ~13% black (~8.0 vs white) and 13+% hispanic (2.5 vs white), with their higher rates of violent crime.

It should come as no surprise that we have more prisoners, since America has a population several times more criminally inclined than China.

Plus Chinese prisons are very different on ours- hard labor, low protein diets, they 'reform' prisoners by weakening and breaking them, not by mollycoddling them and throwing a bunch of free *expletive deleted*it at them. Its cute that liberals point out lower prison populations in China without all of the relative pertinent facts.

Barack Obama