Author Topic: Church shooting near Dallas  (Read 5814 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Church shooting near Dallas
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2020, 04:50:21 PM »
This is probably not going to be popular, but at this stage I'm leaning toward this being a robbery that would likely not have resulted in shooting had the security team not reacted to it.  The bad guy didn't seem like he wanted to shoot until people started drawing down on him and from what has been released the bad guy was upset he had received food from the church but not the money he had requested.  I don't think this was a case of a mass shooting being prevented, but more likely an armed robbery going bad and two good guys dying because of it.

That said, even though it sucks that good guys died when it might have been prevented by rolling over, I think it was the right thing to do to respond with deadly force.  They did the best they could with the information and training they had.

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't.
How do you determine the intent of an armed assailant threatening innocent people?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2020, 05:37:05 PM »
Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't.
How do you determine the intent of an armed assailant threatening innocent people?
Agreed.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2020, 07:16:17 PM »
Even if it was a robbery gone bad it kinda slows down the next guy who thinks he ought to shoot up a texas church. Both in giving him pause and making it way more likely there will be even more guns in any given church.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 07:46:24 PM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2020, 07:05:22 PM »
SNOPES says: Mostly True

What was the question?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2020, 11:50:19 AM »
https://nj1015.com/nj-gave-texas-church-gunman-plea-deal-that-wiped-out-gun-felony/
NJ gave Texas church gunman plea deal that wiped out gun felony

Read More: NJ gave Texas church gunman plea deal that wiped out gun felony | https://nj1015.com/nj-gave-texas-church-gunman-plea-deal-that-wiped-out-gun-felony/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

This article might deserve its own thread.  The article highlights a New Jersey case where the murderer was arrested for possession of an illegal weapon.  However, it isn't just New Jersey.  The article points out he has a history of serious crimes that were plead down in a couple of different states including Texas.  That is the part I was thinking might start a whole new discussion.  I think that sort of thing happens all the time all over the country.  

I know a guy who works at a county jail who is in a position to review criminal histories of inmates.  He said people would be up in arms if they knew the real data on what the prosecutors and courts have been up to.  Few criminals are getting the book thrown at them as long as they are willing to agree to a plea deal and give the prosecutor a win.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge