Author Topic: Budget Deal  (Read 4412 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Budget Deal
« on: May 01, 2017, 09:30:39 AM »
Planned Parenthood? Check. No wall funding? Check. Funding the EPA? Check.

I'm leaning towards blaming mostly the Republicans for this because they're fighting Trump's agenda almost as enthusiastically as the dems, but I would have hoped Trump would have more oomph. Maybe he has a rabbit up his sleeve.

http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/04/30/early-reports-on-the-1-trillion-budget-deal-show-a-lot-of-winning-for-dems/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Budget Deal
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:44:26 AM »
No rabbit.  Trump said what he needed to say to get elected, and I'm fine with that since it means Mrs. Clinton lost.  I don't think Trump has the deal making skills that he thinks he has.  Nor do I think the has the ability to get the republicans to back him up.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 09:50:45 AM »

I'm leaning towards blaming mostly the Republicans for this because they're fighting Trump's agenda almost as enthusiastically as the dems, but I would have hoped Trump would have more oomph. Maybe he has a rabbit up his sleeve.

http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/04/30/early-reports-on-the-1-trillion-budget-deal-show-a-lot-of-winning-for-dems/

Republicans are cowards who really didn't want to be in charge and accountable to back up their campaign promises.

Now that they've won unexpectedly, they are doing everything they can to "not rock the boat."

EVERY ONE ought to be voted out of office on principle.

But, most incumbents will win and we'll continue to get the same old, same old every time.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 09:57:53 AM »

First law of modern politics. Democrats stab their party members in the chest. Republican stab their party members in the back.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »
About the only slack I will give the Rs in this is: During the last semi-shutdown, the R&D roles were somewhat reversed. The R's got all the blame for the shutdown in the biased MSM, and of course the Obama admin pulled all kinds of dirty tricks to make the semi-shutdown look like it "hurt". This time around, had the Rs not yielded, they would have again been blamed for a shutdown. Of course the Trump admin could have "made it hurt", but for gov agencies and employees, versus people going to a campground or wanting to use the bathroom at a scenic overlook.

That's not an excuse for them, but it's likely what would have happened. The fact is, the stuff I listed in the OP that got funding was all supposedly opposed by Rs when it made them look good to their base. Suddenly they have no problem with status quo, plus bonus, it makes Trump (the "Jeb for Prez" thief) look ineffectual.

I wish Trump would drop every other damn thing and just push for ramming term limits down all their throats.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 10:39:11 AM »
Funding baby killers but not the wall.  The Republican party is feces.  I wish I could say I was surprised.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 12:25:42 PM »
No rabbit.  Trump said what he needed to say to get elected, and I'm fine with that since it means Mrs. Clinton lost.  I don't think Trump has the deal making skills that he thinks he has.  Nor do I think the has the ability to get the republicans to back him up.

Therein lies the problem. Especially Paul Ryan. Ryan is going to cost the Rs the mid-term elections.

The only bright side is that it's a temporary budget, only to (or is it "through"?) October.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 12:32:27 PM »
Why do I bother to vote for republicans?-- repukeagains?

"Ain't a dimes' worth of  ......."   :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 01:01:09 PM »
Therein lies the problem. Especially Paul Ryan. Ryan is going to cost the Rs the mid-term elections.

The only bright side is that it's a temporary budget, only to (or is it "through"?) October.

That's THE budget. Federal FY is OCT-SEP.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 01:14:55 PM »
Republicans are cowards who really didn't want to be in charge and accountable to back up their campaign promises.

Now that they've won unexpectedly, they are doing everything they can to "not rock the boat."

EVERY ONE ought to be voted out of office on principle.

But, most incumbents will win and we'll continue to get the same old, same old every time.

Quoted for stark truth.

Except for the voted out part.  Should be term limited. Down with career politicians !

"Thank you for your two terms of public service.  Here's your nominally satisfactory pension.  And we hope you enjoy having to live as a regular person under the laws you voted for."

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 02:23:24 PM »
Rush was talking about this today while I was at lunch.  Sounds like there are a number of moderate Republicans who are supporting the establishment and need to go. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »

SEE? It's ok! This just wasn't the hill to die on. They'll FOR SURE put up a fight on the next budget.

Just like last time. And the time before that. And the time before that. And the time before that. And the...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 02:52:33 PM »
At least it's "A" budget. When was the last time that happened and not a continuing resolution.
The wall doesn't have to be in the budget.  We give Mexico $320 million every year. Pay for the wall out of that.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 05:27:37 PM »
SEE? It's ok! This just wasn't the hill to die on. They'll FOR SURE put up a fight on the next budget.

Just like last time. And the time before that. And the time before that. And the time before that. And the...

I'm starting to think we're moving beyond "that awkward stage" that Claire Wolfe talked about.  The torches, pitchforks, tar and feathers beckon.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 11:56:09 PM »
What think of it:

[barf] [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf] [barf]

And the Republicans:

[ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 07:45:25 AM »

And Hillary's still not in prison.
Called it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 01:11:06 PM »
Here's a question for APS members:

Unless you were on vacation and found a national park gate closed or the doors to the Smithsonian locked, would you have even been AWARE of the previous "government shutdowns" without news reports?

(And as for the abuse heaped on Republicans in general and Paul Ryan in particular - there's a REASON that the GOP is known as The Stupid PartyTM. )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »
Our country needs a good "shutdown" in September to fix mess!
He knows he can just veto this if he doesn't like it, right? :P He doesn't have to wait for September...
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 04:56:32 PM »
Here's a question for APS members:

Unless you were on vacation and found a national park gate closed or the doors to the Smithsonian locked, would you have even been AWARE of the previous "government shutdowns" without news reports?

(And as for the abuse heaped on Republicans in general and Paul Ryan in particular - there's a REASON that the GOP is known as The Stupid PartyTM. )
Nope.  Not at all. 

And the national parks closures that Obama did was all theater anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 06:46:20 PM »
All the republican party cares about is the sucking up to rich people and big businesses.  Most of these are leftist who who love illegal immigration so they can drive down the wages of their employees.  We need term limits.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:42:28 AM by BTR »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 07:21:44 PM »
The state of Illinois has not had a budget for over 2 years now....

And other then Lottery winners and Income tax refunds taking longer than "normal" to get their money, no one has noticed.   

Chicago and the Chicago Public Schools are all crying broke and threatening to end the school year 4 weeks early because of lack of funding from the sate.  (Other school districts are dipping into their savings/rainy day funds, needless to say that CPS doesn't have either....go figure...Meanwhile the prior CPS president was sentenced for getting kick-backs on $250million in contracts she steered to the company she had worked for prior to becoming CPS President.) 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 06:28:46 PM »
The Republican bill passed in the house today with more D votes than R votes. I mean really...

http://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/05/03/big-spending-bill-passes-gop-controlled-house-with-more-dem-votes-than-repub/

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 11:45:39 PM »
All the republican party cares about is the sucking up to rich people and big businesses.  Most of these leftist wholes who love illegal immigration so they can drive down the wages of their employees.  We need term limits.

we have term limits.

they're called elections

THe American people are responsible for this. They nominated two of the worst shitheads possible, then elected one.

And people are surprised.

Let's see. No Hillary in jail. No wall. No Obamacare repeal. No balancing of the budget or anything close to it. "rethinking" his stance on various promises. Turning from his anti-interventionist platform.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Pb

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »
we have term limits.

they're called elections

Ideally, that would be the case.  Unfortunately, the longer a congressman stays in power, the more power they accumulate- this allows them to funnel more free goodies for their state much more effectively.  This makes it attractive to voters to have entrenched politicians who stay for decades.

We need term limits to protect us from the horribly entrenched and corrupt congressmen from states other than our own.... rats like McCain and Schumer, who have massive power and influence for their states, but should have been gone decades ago.

Congressmen spend most of their time and influence getting money and whoring themselves to donors to get re-elected (rich people and big business).

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 10:24:20 AM »
Ideally, that would be the case.  Unfortunately, the longer a congressman stays in power, the more power they accumulate- this allows them to funnel more free goodies for their state much more effectively.  This makes it attractive to voters to have entrenched politicians who stay for decades.

We need term limits to protect us from the horribly entrenched and corrupt congressmen from states other than our own.... rats like McCain and Schumer, who have massive power and influence for their states, but should have been gone decades ago.

Congressmen spend most of their time and influence getting money and whoring themselves to donors to get re-elected (rich people and big business).

Agreed, 110%.

We NEED term limits. (Which, of course, is why we don't have them.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design