Author Topic: Grr... Why are bike junkyards so lousy?  (Read 699 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Grr... Why are bike junkyards so lousy?
« on: June 03, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »
I am experiencing a bit of frustration here.

My FJ's fork sprung a leak. I decided this would be a good time for a minor upgrade. FJ prior to 1988 used a 16 inch front wheel and then-fashionable anti-dive mechanism (it's supposed to stiffen the fork when brakes are applied. In reality it does little except introducing a couple of leak points via an extra hose). From 1989 onwards Yamaha switched to normal forks and a 17 inch wheel. Also, the caliper mounts allow using brakes from newer bikes, like R1.  There was no 1988 FJ.

Local yard is a mess. They have a pile of bikes, some piles of parts, never know what they got, don't answer emails, and a phone call is usually along the lines of "we'll call you back in a couple of days" because they literally send a guy out to go look in the pile.

I put in a request at Mr. Cycleparts, which is a website that sends it out to a network of yards all over the place. I got four hits. The two with reasonable price saw full well that I requested 89 and up, but tried to sell me an 86. Both required me telling them to look for a little doohickey over by the thingy while they went to physically see the part because their parts aren't actually marked and they have no inventory lists. The other two must have special edition forks made of solid platinum, if their price is any indication.

Car junkyards at least have a list of what makes/models/years they have in the yard. Better ones have actual inventory lists on computer. Meanwhile, these people apparently have never head of this newfangled thing called a spreadsheet. Or a tag, on which you could put the info on which bike you took it off off.

Ugh. I might call one of the high priced places, but I have a feeling they  aren't any better...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Grr... Why are bike junkyards so lousy?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 05:05:42 PM »
Have you tried Ebay?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »
He's selling the whole bike, and he is in NY, and I'm in MN.

I could ask him if he wants to part it, but I kinda doubt he would, given he has no space to rebuild it.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 06:55:20 PM »
Then keep looking through the classifieds on that site. less than a minute and I found this:

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=11748.0
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 07:13:46 PM »
At $400 it's not exactly cheap, but might be worth it, given that they don't need to be rebuilt.  We'll see what the shipping turns out to be.

The parts yards where people can't read were quoting me $150 and $200 before I figured out they were the wrong year.

Robert A Heinlein