Author Topic: Buck Shot  (Read 122 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Buck Shot
« on: May 21, 2024, 10:55:40 PM »
 Remington 12ga #4 Buckshot Ballistics Gel Test - Best Home Defense Load? 🇺🇸
Mrgunsngear Channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6cmGHz-4O4

I saw a comment that Mrgunsngear had a gel test for #4 buck on his channel.  Found this one.  About halfway into the video, you can see the gel block.  Looks like no shot went all the way through the block.  The shot is smaller, but that is a lot of wound tracks.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNb2uvezzx0
Federal #1 buck with flight control wad.

A good demonstration of why people like 12 gauge for home defense. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_33USEwWA0
Patterning with a Mossberg Shockwave 590.  Better than I expected.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Buck Shot
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:34:15 AM »
So, the news has a story on right now about a psycho escaping from a transport, and it happened a half mile from your house!

Now... you have the choice between a .32 that holds 9 shots, and a .25 with a frickin' gigglestick and da switch...
Blog under construction

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:59:23 AM »
I run 00 federal flite control in my HD 870. 6 rounds of that and the last round in the pipe is a 3" magnum slug. Side saddle carries 5 more 00 and another slug. I really like how the buck patterns out of my 870 with the flite control wad and unless there's a really compelling reason I likely won't switch to the #1 buck.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:03:21 AM »
Had a discussion the other day about what would be best for drones after watching Ukraine videos. We figured 4 buck would probably have the best combination of range, shot pattern, and power.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:44:06 AM »
Blog under construction

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:57:49 AM »
Had a discussion the other day about what would be best for drones after watching Ukraine videos. We figured 4 buck would probably have the best combination of range, shot pattern, and power.
I'll stick with #4 birdshot for non-military UAVs.  Denser patterns.
7-11 was a part time job.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:11:43 AM »

Likely the better choice for anything within shotgun range. FPV drones are pretty darn fragile.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:01:08 AM »
No. 4 buck has been my round of choice for home defense since I bought my home in 1993.

27 .24-caliber pellets is going to ruin the hell out of someone's day at household distance.

If I do ever need something heavier, there's the 5 rounds of 00 buck in the carrier. It's not the standard load, it's got an extra layer of 00 pellets, for a total payload of 12. Done with a roll crimp and card overwad.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:02:59 AM »
Timing how long it takes for grenades to drop in Ukraine, they are 150-200 ft up. Even #2 birdshot is a little weak at that altitude.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:40:28 AM »
Timing how long it takes for grenades to drop in Ukraine, they are 150-200 ft up. Even #2 birdshot is a little weak at that altitude.

Certainly distance plays a large part. While some guys might, I don't take shots at geese at more than 50 yards with BB. I'm kinda curious if anybody on the youtubes has bought a bundle of the $25 drones on Amazon and tried to shoot them down at various altitudes/speeds with different shotgun loads. If they haven't, maybe Garand Thumb should. It sounds like "science" right up his alley. I know he's done one where they were hunted by a drone, but I don't think they shot back, because it was an expensive drone.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: Today at 09:01:23 AM »
Certainly distance plays a large part. While some guys might, I don't take shots at geese at more than 50 yards with BB. I'm kinda curious if anybody on the youtubes has bought a bundle of the $25 drones on Amazon and tried to shoot them down at various altitudes/speeds with different shotgun loads. If they haven't, maybe Garand Thumb should. It sounds like "science" right up his alley. I know he's done one where they were hunted by a drone, but I don't think they shot back, because it was an expensive drone.
Irangetv did a video, but mentioned some legal issues with doing that.  I think it was around being licensed to fly drones rather than shooting at them. 

My thought is something on the order of a goose gun with shot meant for longer range.  I was thinking some 3" heavy tungsten shot or whatever is similar. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: Today at 09:02:53 AM »
So, the news has a story on right now about a psycho escaping from a transport, and it happened a half mile from your house!

Now... you have the choice between a .32 that holds 9 shots, and a .25 with a frickin' gigglestick and da switch...

My issue with that analogy is normal name-brand 12 gauge has a good bit higher velocity than 32 acp or 25 acp.  1200 to 1300 FPS is normal.  over 1100 FPS for the cheaper stuff.  I thought both of those pistol calibers were under 1000 FPS.

Edit to add:  Wiki says up to 900 FPS for 25 acp and up to 1100 FPS for 32 acp.

IMO, the benefit or trauma is 9 or 20 pellets hitting the target at the same time making separate would tracks (or one big ragged hole at short range). 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: Today at 12:27:48 PM »

Military drones for use at the "Infantryman" level are not physically hardened much more than a DJI drone.  For anyone planning on being a partisan.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: Today at 12:36:33 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: Today at 12:57:46 PM »
Military drones for use at the "Infantryman" level are not physically hardened much more than a DJI drone.  For anyone planning on being a partisan.

Hence gaffer's tape is part of the field kit for at least the RQ-11s and RQ-20s.  =)

Though with their EOIRs, they can get what they need and do their smoke and target painting at well out of resistance fighter range. And with something like a Switchblade, I reckon by the time you see it, it's moving too fast for you to do anything about it.