Author Topic: The media picked Trump...  (Read 1485 times)

Pb

• friend
The media picked Trump...
« on: May 04, 2016, 03:05:17 PM »
for the one to be beaten by Hillary.

Now they will turn on him.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: The media picked Trump...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 03:14:20 PM »
Cart before horse, confusing cause with effect, etc.

Oh, sure, they'll try to destroy him.  They've been trying to destroy him.  But they kept talking Trump all these months because that is what has gotten them ratings.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 03:28:49 PM »
Cart before horse, confusing cause with effect, etc.

Oh, sure, they'll try to destroy him.  They've been trying to destroy him.  But they kept talking Trump all these months because that is what has gotten them ratings.

Part of the reason Trump is so teflon to scandal, or even the consistency in what he says/promises on the campaign trail, is that most of his supporters despise the mainstream media. They know, either directly, or instinctively/subconsciously that the media is "part of the problem" that they're railing against with their Trump support.

So a big part of Trump's success is a lesson the rest of the GOP learned far, far, too late, and probably still hasn't learned. The more the MSM is gunning for you, the better the job you are doing.

For everything else wrong with him, Trump's view is that the MSM "works for him", he's not their trained monkey. That he should ever try to appease the media is insanity to him. The media is the maids, the help.... And whenever they try to use him as their trained monkey, or a foil, it just backfires. At a minimum, whatever hits to his reputation negative coverage causes, at worst, it's a wash, because he gets it right back in his voting base's respect for the honeybadger attitude.

The conventional wisdom that "They haven't even started to bash Trump, wait until he's the nominee..." will most likely backfire spectacularly.

And as pundits and protesters, SJW's, lefties, Illegals etc. all protest harder and harder, Trump is going to look more and more appealing to even those who currently have #neverTrump sympathies. (That and my own MSM disdain... It's certainly the only thing I like about him) Even knowing there's about a 99.5% chance he'll be a Pyrrhic victory.  =|
I promise not to duck.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 03:39:05 PM »
Trump's voters may like him more when the media unleashes on him, but they are a small fraction of the electorate.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 04:18:43 PM »
Trump's voters may like him more when the media unleashes on him, but they are a small fraction of the electorate.

I was a Cruz-man... before it was cool.

That said. I hate the MSM.

I hate Hillary.

I am merely appalled at Trump.

So there is that...
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 05:00:47 PM »

When a lifelong Democrat who loved Hilary before the email server scandal says that it is possible she would vote for Trump come election time, you have to consider the large fraction of the electorate that is saying what AJ is saying about him.

Merely appalling for POTUS  =|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 06:09:35 PM »
The coverage of Trump by the MSM was quite a bit different than the coverage of McCain when they actively supported him until he was the nominee.
The worm has turned, now it'll get interesting ( in a sick, twisted sort of fashion) to see the next strategy by Trump as he fixes is attention on the Hillary.
I'd like to see him keep his attacks strictly on actual verifiable failings of Hillary and watch the MSM go after him with the war on women mantra.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 06:33:02 PM »
Trump is not succeeding because the media bash him and along with the establishment have written blatant propaganda pieces to tear him down.

He is succeeding because he approaches policy with common sense.  The media and the political classes would have us believe that apart from their mostly groundless talking points, politics is rocket science and only the likes of people who ape Alan Greenspan and Charles Krauthammer can understand it.

Trump comes along and challenges the boat loads of garbage used to justify "free trade" (read: multinational lawlessness) agreements, immigration, and social services with the bleeping obvious.  30 years of Clinton-Bush neoliberal economics have beggared America, Trump calls it what it is and says eminently realistic ways to change it.

That is why the media hates him, and also why he's winning.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 06:57:17 PM »
 :lol:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 07:35:30 PM »
Whether he is right or not, Trump doesn't back up and apologize when he is attacked.  He just keeps right on moving forward and attacking back.  That alone is a departure from past candidates.  IMO, it is actually a lesson learned from the Clintons.  They have had scandal after scandal but they just keep going until the media's short attention span moves on to the next squirrel.  I am not sure if Trump can do it the same way they do, but nothing is gained by retreating. 

I also think the media's power to affect elections has been falling off the last couple decades.  They are still a big influence, but more and more people discount much of what they hear.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Re: The media picked Trump...
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 08:15:56 PM »
:lol:
Laugh all you want, ds has a better grasp of it than most pundits.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 09:30:44 PM »
Laugh all you want, ds has a better grasp of it than most pundits.
That you and De Selby would both think so highly of Trump was exactly what I was laughing about.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 02:20:45 AM »
That you and De Selby would both think so highly of Trump was exactly what I was laughing about.
Trump unites the strangest groups. I've seen it on other forums, where a pair of people who want to disembowell each other over most other issues come together in support of Trump.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 05:57:56 AM »
http://www.unz.com/isteve/its-the-immigration-stupid/
"You know, “Americans First” does make a certain amount of sense to American voters. This idea strikes me as pretty sensible: that there are a lot of things Americans disagree over, but one thing we can agree upon is that we Americans are in this together and we need to work out our issues with each other, not try to stab our fellow Americans in the back by importing ringers from other countries. Of course, I am a wacko extremist who doesn’t believe in the Establishment wisdom of Invade the World / Invite the World, so don’t pay any attention to my unhinged rantings."
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 07:56:54 AM »
Trump is not succeeding because the media bash him and along with the establishment have written blatant propaganda pieces to tear him down.

He is succeeding because he approaches policy with common sense.  The media and the political classes would have us believe that apart from their mostly groundless talking points, politics is rocket science and only the likes of people who ape Alan Greenspan and Charles Krauthammer can understand it.

Trump comes along and challenges the boat loads of garbage used to justify "free trade" (read: multinational lawlessness) agreements, immigration, and social services with the bleeping obvious.  30 years of Clinton-Bush neoliberal economics have beggared America, Trump calls it what it is and says eminently realistic ways to change it.

That is why the media hates him, and also why he's winning.

IOW, populism is popular. Story at 10.

If media disdain/horror/posterior-discomfort did not make Trump the candidate he is today, then it was his response to it. The notion that The Stupid Party (or at least some of its future candidates) might actually learn something from that is the only reason Trump would get my vote in the general.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife