Author Topic: Need some home network help  (Read 1505 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Need some home network help
« on: August 28, 2009, 06:21:44 PM »
While I'm on the mend I decided to get myself a netbook. Little Acer Aspire job, nothing fancy but it looks like it will do everything I need it to do.
I have an existing wireless setup that was part of my DSL package it is a 2WIRE wireless router/switch.
I was able to easily acces it and get the netbook on the internet.
I have also been able to set up the home network so that when I pull up the network map I see all the components as it should be.
The home computer is set up with Vista home premium SP1. Netbook is running Vista basic.
I want to be able to access and browse the dirves, files and folders on the home computer from the netbook over my wireless connection.
I think I have turned on sharing on the dirves I want to access as well as the printer hanging off the home computer.
So far I am not able to map a network drive on the home computer from he netbook or set up the printer.
What am I missing?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
Re: Need some home network help
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:04:25 PM »
I'm not a Vista expert, but there's an administrative setting, which currently eludes me, that needs to be changed/ switched to allow other computers to access each other.  You are on the same workgroup, right?
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 08:16:29 PM »

Both machines workgroup are set to - "workgroup". Both machines show the proper view of the network map.
If anyone knows a good online home network tutorial for us novices that would be good as well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 08:26:57 PM »
Since you can see all the machines on the network map, then you should be able to go to Control Panel - Network and Sharing Center - and make sure your file and printer sharing are both turned on.  Then make sure both firewalls on both machines are set to allow LAN access.

DON'T do Public sharing over wireless, unless you've secured your wireless connection (encryption or a MAC address access list) and even then, I'd think twice.  Both machines will need to have the same user account names on them to allow for secure access to your folders (meaning if you have an account named Bob on one machine, the other one must have the same name, and Bob must be allowed to have access to that network resource. )

Um, you might try www.practicallynetworked.com and scroll down to the Forum link (in the blue bar on the left,) there should still be a Howto stickied in the forum that walks you through it step-by-step.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:44:55 PM »

thanks I'll look at that

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 03:05:56 PM »
Got It!
Firewall settings. Only had 3 firewalls running, Windows, Norton and the one in the 2Wire router.
Kind of cool to sit on my front porch and listen to tunes on my HDD in the other room.
Thanks for the help guys

Samuel Adams