Author Topic: Got a new roof today.  (Read 752 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Got a new roof today.
« on: July 24, 2020, 10:10:53 PM »
We had a hail storm come through in late Spring, I didn't think too much of it. Our insurance company decided they were no longer going to cover our rural area and I was informed they would not renew my policy at the end of June.
I was a bit pissed off about it as that is the third time and insurance company has done that to me in the last 15 years.
My insurance agent (also brother-in-law) suggested that I get my roof checked for damage that occurred during the storm. In the 25 years I've been here I never filed a claim. I really didn't expect anything but the adjuster came out and checked the house and my shop building and we got a significant settlement.
BIL suggested a good contractor he has worked with and I called him Tuesday.
The crew showed up this morning and got to work about 7:30 am. The drove away about 7:30 pm leaving me with a shiny new roof.
Complete tear off, repair some minor decking issues and re-shingle 28 squares and clean up in 12 hours. I think there were 7 of them but there may have been one more. Those fellows busted their asses in 95° F and blazing sun.
Just over $7K. and I have enough left over to do some significant repair and renovations to the rest of the house.
I'm actually in a pretty good mood.
Of course I'm also wondering whats going to come along next and *expletive deleted*ck me =|
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
Re: Got a new roof today.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 11:07:46 PM »
We had a big hail storm hit north of here years ago. Insurance company decided to double the deductible. Then I got hit. Had a guy i know come over do the roof another friend loaned me a roll off and I billed the insurance company for it. I came out ok.

When I got the cancer diagnosis I payed off the house and dropped them. We have been lucky nothing has happened. We are looking for a new company but have got by for over five years with nothing.

Knock on wood.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 05:38:51 AM »
A neighbor I knew who moved out a few years back told me he had gone several years without insurance.  He saved at least 3K a year.  Hard to argue with that after the fact.  We are behind a levee here so any storm likely to go over that will be very bad.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 09:55:18 AM »
Yeah, I don't like the idea of no insurance but I'll be running barefoot for a while at least. My insurance agent/brother in law says he's got something for us and we'll look at it next week. The small stuff I can still fix by myself but I'd really like to have some kind of coverage for catastrophic stuff like a major hail storm or big wind event.
I don't have to worry about flooding. I'm on top of one of the biggest hills around and for me to get flooded most of the county would have to be under 100' of water.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 10:05:30 AM »
My flood insurance is about $400 per year and I am behind a levee where the risk is low.  People out in the county not behind the levee pay a good bit more.  Windstorm insurance near the coast is expensive.  Bigger houses out in the county might be $5K or $6K in insurance per year.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 10:07:09 AM »
I have absolutely no clue how much I pay in insurance for my townhouse. Last time I looked it was something like $750 a year, but that was years and years ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 10:47:15 AM »
I pay approximately $ 1200/year to Safeco for homeowner's on a 2200 square foot rambler on an acre of land.  Five months after moving in, an 85 foot western hemlock on the neighbor's property fell over during a windstorm onto the house.  11 months and $ 68,000 of repairs later, the homeowner's insurance was a good return on investment.  In our previous house, the washing machine malfunctioned and overflowed all through the night, flooding the first floor.  That was a $ 18,000 claim.  So I suspect that Safeco has paid more on me to date than all of my homeowners premiums in 36 years of owning houses.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 10:53:00 AM »
My current premium for both home and farm is $850, which includes liability for stuff like my cow guy and bee guy, but I also carry an additional $2mil umbrella policy for another $250. Insurance is unbelievably dirt cheap in Idaho. When I first moved here, I thought my insurance agent made a mistake when he quoted me a price for both my vehicles that was less than half of what I paid in CA for the identical policy. Literally saving $1800/yr just on that.

On roofs, I got lucky when I bought the house. I had a really great home inspector who saw some wear on the shingles that was connected to a class action suit against the shingle manufacturer. I was covered under the suit, so ended up getting a new roof for basically free. The manufacturer paid the $9K for roof install, but then I had the roofer add a couple of recommended things that cost me around $800.

The only bummer was that I would have liked to go for a premium shingle and pay the difference, but the terms of the suit did not allow for that, so I had to go for the standard shingle. Still, the roofers did a good job, so hopefully I won't have to worry about anything for 15 years or so.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 10:03:07 PM »
In the 12 1/2 years here we've had two claims.  The water heater sprung a leak that got half of the house carpeted and half of the underbelly replaced - the other half of the underbelly was/is still perfect.  We'll get the other half of the house carpeted after the new pup's finished training...

The second claim was for hail damage - got payment for windows & screens, roof and some painting.  We ended up with a metal roof and double pane windows, both of which should outlast our staying here.  Had a new AC/heater installed too.

With the new windows & AC (and maybe the roof) our electric bill has been cut by at least 1/3 over the last full summer with the old.  And since the insurance company's been raising our rate every year for the last 12, I don't feel too bad about taking the offer from another company that's saving us over $75 per month.  New payment's right at a grand for the house & two outbuildings on 5 acres.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 10:53:01 PM »
Our rate is around $700.00 a year with a $1000.00 deductible.  I've got all risk guaranteed replacement cost on the house (up to 20% above the face amount on the dwelling and if it's not excluded it's included), replacement cost on contents with an all risk rather than named perils rider(new for old, no depreciation and if it doesn't say it's excluded, it included), $25,000 coverage for sump pump failure and septic tank back up.  Earthquake and flood and having your foundation give in from earth movement are the only serious perils not covered.  Earthquake can be added for about $100.00.  Flood is not obtainable as I'm not in a flood plain on top of a ridge.  Foundations giving away is hard to get coverage for unless the foundation is damaged from something that is covered like fire, wind etc..

Mike do you have a HOA general policy covering the exterior of your building and you are responsible for every portion of the building interior, plus your contents?  I used to be quite an expert on those types of policies before I retired.  You are in another state, too.  But I bet I could give you a bit of helpful info to follow up on.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 06:59:18 AM »
"Mike do you have a HOA general policy covering the exterior of your building and you are responsible for every portion of the building interior, plus your contents?  I used to be quite an expert on those types of policies before I retired.  You are in another state, too.  But I bet I could give you a bit of helpful info to follow up on."

In Virginia the homeowner is responsible for the interior and exterior of his townhouse. Multi-unit condos are different, of course.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.