Author Topic: CCW/Self Defense Insurance ??  (Read 761 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
CCW/Self Defense Insurance ??
« on: August 21, 2020, 04:36:41 PM »
For a variety of reasons, mostly the huge number of youtube self defense videos I've been watching while healing up, I've been seeing an increasing number of ads for CCW/Self defense outfits like Lawshield, USCCA and others.

Anyone here have such insurance? Any insight into their value?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: CCW/Self Defense Insurance ??
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 04:39:08 PM »
I have an umbrella policy that would cover me in that situation and many more. The odds of me actually being involved in a SD shooting is extremely remote.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 04:47:36 PM »
Umbrella lawyer insurance?

That's a thing?  Can we get some details?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 04:55:48 PM »
I have posted a lot on this topic on the High Road.  Search for posts by MillCreek on insurance.  KingCreek, if you have the standard homeowner's umbrella liability policy, it likely does not provide coverage for self-defense/shooting incidents due to the 'intentional acts' exclusion.  Shooting someone is an intentional act.  You would possibly be better off arguing it was an accidental discharge, and therefore should be covered. Unfortunately, many appellate courts have ruled it is not, if you are pointing a gun at someone and it 'accidentally' goes off.

Many states, including Washington, have barred the sale of self-defense insurance, because it is not actually insurance in the legal sense, and does not have the necessary financial backing and other regulatory requirements.  I do insurance and liability for a living, and I have never found it necessary to have this type of coverage, given that Washington actually has statutory law providing reimbursement by the state in these situations: https://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.110

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 07:06:45 PM »
The benefit to me is getting a lawyer on call who presumably knows something about self defense law and getting help with bail.  After that getting legal support paid for up to a point.  That for something around $200 a year.  There are probably other ways to get that, but it is inexpensive and easy.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 07:12:57 PM »
Dad had lawsheild and was happy with them. They did raise their rate slightly a few years back because of Sig.  :rofl:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 01:27:01 PM »
The benefit to me is getting a lawyer on call who presumably knows something about self defense law and getting help with bail . . .  
That's why I've been considering getting something like this - the last time I had occasion to talk to a lawyer myself was when I bought a house, and I don't think a real estate attorney would be the best choice for my first phone call after a DGU. I've been considering USCCA . . . though I'm probably being influenced by the the ads I keep getting in my email.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 06:16:29 PM »
I joined Texas Law Shield which become or was absorbed by US Lawshield.  Not sure which came first.  They have a bunch of educational youtube videos on line.  They also have a schedule of seminars and classes on different related subjects.  I figure they have a good presence in my area and have the option of coverage in all 50 states. 

I know a guy who joined USCCA and he was happy. 

https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/
I have heard a lot of well known gun people talk about Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network.  I am not sure how it is set up, but I heard they have good training DVD's they send out when you join.  They don't seem to mind if you join them as well as another group so I think they are a little different. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 12:48:23 PM »
https://youtu.be/tDXLv2mMNKQ?t=639
This was a short talk on Stand Your Ground laws by Massad Ayoob.  After 10 minutes, he mentions a case (Jay Lewis) where a guy defended himself with a gun, was held on a huge bond that he couldn't afford.  He was evicted while in jail and his belongings were cleaned out and dumped.  He was acquitted it seems pretty quickly, but he was essentially homeless. 

I figure it is nice to have a lawyer on call and help to pay a bond if needed. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 03:07:36 PM »
I finally watched this video by Warrior Poet Society on this subject.  Thought I would pass it along. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wilf_R5wlNQ
Do you Need Carry Insurance? Lawyer Andrew Branca shoots us straight
 Warrior Poet Society

I came across this one too.  A different view of things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ZWZ60saeg
Should I Buy Self Defense Insurance?
The Dave Ramsey Show