Author Topic: Is the phrase "Connecticut Yankee" or "Connecticut Liar"?  (Read 992 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Is the phrase "Connecticut Yankee" or "Connecticut Liar"?
« on: May 28, 2010, 07:25:40 AM »
Earlier, Quinnipiac University gave Blumenthal good news: Its latest poll found that a majority of residents believed he misspoke, not lied, when referring to service in Vietnam. He leads Republican Linda McMahon by 19 percentage points among military households and 25 points overall.
- http://www.ctmirror.org/story/6223/buoyed-poll-blumenthal-still-steps-carefully-toward-memorial-day

How does this happen?   :facepalm:  Is his opponent so distasteful that a confessed liar outpolls her?  Or is lying becoming a non-issue? Maybe we just have low expectations of our "statesmen" these days.

Maybe it says something about the people of Connecticut...  (not ALL of them, of course!)

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

• friend
Re: Is the phrase "Connecticut Yankee" or "Connecticut Liar"?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 08:19:17 AM »
Connecticut is a pretty liberal state.  Honesty isn't a high priority around here. A candidate with a liberal agenda far overshadows something so trivial.  [barf]

Four years and three months- I'm moving outta here.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 09:39:09 AM »
Honesty isn't a high priority around here.

Real shame!

I saw the infamous press conference last week, with all of the pumped up vets behind him.

Pathetic, enbarassing, obviously staged, arrogant, no apology, playing word salad.

Looks like the political honesty bar is now scraping the ground.

Makes me sick to my stomach.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:21:42 PM »
playing word salad

A lovely phrase!  stolen...

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 06:17:08 PM »
I saw the infamous press conference last week, with all of the pumped up professional vets behind him.

Fixed it for you.  Disgusting, they were.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.