Author Topic: Journalism 'Reinvention'  (Read 2432 times)

esheato

• friend
Journalism 'Reinvention'
« on: June 03, 2010, 07:04:41 PM »
This is interesting...

Journalism 'Reinvention' Smacks of Government Control, Critics Say

A list of potential policy recommendations to reinvent the field of journalism that has been compiled by the Federal Trade Commission is a "dangerous" overreach of power and a waste of taxpayer funds, critics of the project told FoxNews.com.

FTC officials began a project  in May 2009 to consider the challenges the journalism industry faces in the digital age. The federal agency recently released a discussion draft titled "Potential Policy Recommendations to Support the Reinvention of Journalism," a 47-page document that outlines a major government push to rescue the country's flailing media platforms -- specifically newspapers, which have seen advertising revenues drop roughly 45 percent since 2000.

Among the numerous proposals mentioned in the document are:

-- the creation of a "journalism" division of AmeriCorps, the federal program that places 75,000 people with local and national nonprofit groups annually;

-- tax credits to news organizations for every journalist employed;

-- establishing citizenship news vouchers, which "would allow every American tax payer to allocate some amount of government funds to the non-profit media organization" of their choice;

-- increased funding for public radio and television;

-- providing grants to universities to conduct investigative journalism;

-- increased postal subsidies for newspapers and periodicals;

-- a 5 percent tax on consumer electronics, which would generate roughly $4 billion annually, to pay for increased public funding.

But some critics are voicing concerns about the draft document, saying that if the government has any influence over the Fourth Estate, it could lead to a dizzying web of conflicting interests and the eradication of independent journalism.

"I find it dangerous for government to have a role in speech because the government gives and the government taketh away," Jeff Jarvis, an associate professor at the City University of New York's Graduate School of Journalism, told FoxNews.com.

"Most of the ideas examined in this are politically untenable," Jarvis said. "The problem with this is that the FTC is trying to set an agenda here, that some sort of government intervention is necessary. It's a power grab by the FTC and it's also an example of one old power structure circling its wagons around another."

But the FTC stressed that the draft is just that -- a draft --  and it said it does not represent conclusions or recommendations by the agency. Officials cited excerpts from the document as their response to criticism:

"Rather, through this document, we seek to prompt discussion of whether to recommend policy changes to support the ongoing 'reinvention' of journalism, and, if so, which specific proposals appear most useful, feasible, platform-neutral, resistant to bias, and unlikely to cause unintended consequences in addressing emerging gaps in news coverage," the report reads.

The list of proposals is "no doubt incomplete," the report continues, and members of the public are encouraged to submit additional proposals.

"We anticipate that different participants in the roundtables at which this document will be discussed will criticize some or all proposals, improve others, and add ideas of their own," the report reads. "The purpose of this document is precisely to encourage such additional analyses and brainstorming."

But Cliff Kincaid, editor of Accuracy in Media, a Washington-based media watchdog group, questioned the "legal and constitutional justification" for the FTC's involvement in the news industry, noting that the agency's website indicates its mission is to protect the American consumer.

"It seems to me America's consumers are making their choices," he said. "I don't know why the FTC should interfere with that. [The report] seems to lament the decline of old liberal newspapers. But they're in decline because consumers are finding their news and information elsewhere."

Kincaid also questioned the time, money and effort devoted to the FTC project.

"If there was evidence that consumers were somehow being shortchanged, that'd be one thing," he said. "But consumers have more choices than ever before."

Dan Gainor, vice president of business and culture for the Media Research Center, a Washington-based media watchdog group, put his take on the proposals more succinctly.

"The mere fact that they're holding these hearings is the beginning of the problem," Gainor said. "They should have no hand in the future of journalism."

Jarvis, who attended the FTC's December roundtable and will attend the final session on June 15 in Washington, said Capitol Hill should stay out of the news business -- period.

He said he found the potential policy recommendations "disturbing," since they used the perspective of newspapers to show the issues facing journalism as a whole. He noted that the word "blog" appears only once within the 47-page report. (It appears several times in the report's footnotes.)

He said all of the proposals seek to "support the old power structure of the dying model of newspapers" rather than searching for new growth opportunities.

"No one is going to support a tax to support old newspapers," he said. "They're talking about the future of journalism, but they only talk about the past of journalism.  They equate journalism with newspapers strictly."

"It's too soon to give up on the market, which is what the FTC is doing," he added. "Everything you see in that document is an attempt to stifle new competition by sustaining the incumbents."

He said he expects "more wasting of tax dollars" at the FTC's next meeting in two weeks.

"I don't even understand why they're doing this," he said. "This document is an anti-competitive and even unconstitutional world view."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Journalism 'Reinvention'
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 07:27:49 PM »
ministry of information?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:30:47 PM »
An attempt to throw a blanket over the internet in general and the alternative media in particular.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:00:22 PM »
Those people are nucking futs!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:54:42 PM »
It isn't the job of the Federal government to "save" journalism, even if that were really their intention.  This is dangerous and subversive.  Good journalism is the natural enemy of government.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

taurusowner

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 12:28:39 AM »
I'm not gonna Godwin the thread, so I'll just say it's right out of the playbook.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 12:38:16 AM »
I'm not gonna Godwin the thread, so I'll just say it's right out of the playbook.

Well, it's not really Godwining when pretty much all heavily controlled societies heavily restrict the media and free speech...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:42:06 AM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 12:42:05 AM »
It isn't the job of the Federal government to "save" journalism, even if that were really their intention.  This is dangerous and subversive.  Good journalism is the natural enemy of government.

+1

The reason why journalism is dying isn't specifically the internet.  Modern journalism is mostly the following: repackaging press releases, sensational speculation, sucking up to a specific party, sucking up to the govt or furthering a personal agenda.  In short, they have become the natural best friend of the government which is the direct opposite of what they should be doing.  Folks have taken notice and went looking for alternative sources.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 06:09:46 AM »
Journalism isn't in trouble.....the MSM is....

It should die a natural death and let the bloggers take over.....esp. since they're doing so anyway....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 09:23:22 AM »
Journalism has long dispensed with ferreting facts.  Advocacy is now the driving force of "journalism".  Consumers of news want facts.  MSM hasn't caught up.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 09:32:33 AM »
The noose around the First Amendment is tightening, fast.  It's not just a proposed bail-out of "journalism," aka Federal subsidization of propaganda, it's "local control"/"Fairness Doctrine," and "hate speech" legislation that will criminalize "offensive" speech.  All of these things, together and separately, are aimed at muzzling us and depriving us of knowledge and communication.  It's the boot on our throats.

Everyone here is conscious of threats to our Second Amendment rights, but to me it looks as if the First Amendment is in a lot more serious jeopardy right now.

All of these anti-1A maneuvers must be fought strenuously and resisted to the precipice, ad finem.  There is no room for Republican "compromise" on matters like these.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:39:37 AM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »
ministry of information?
People's Commisariat of Internal Informational Affairs

Tax people to subsidize media that the market won't support, and then use it to control what the people are allowed to hear.

Any elected official that speaks on this without condemning it outright needs to go.

This is possibly the most Un-American idea yet to surface in the Obama Administration.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 10:08:32 AM »
+1

The reason why journalism is dying isn't specifically the internet.  Modern journalism is mostly the following: repackaging press releases, sensational speculation, sucking up to a specific party, sucking up to the govt or furthering a personal agenda.  In short, they have become the natural best friend of the government which is the direct opposite of what they should be doing.  Folks have taken notice and went looking for alternative sources.

I see your +1 and raise you a +1.  =)

I see the above in newsclip emails I get from work every week. It sometimes looks like the "journalist" is on our payroll. I also notice that Obama has mentioned blogs in a negative light, however I see blog stories in our newsclips all the time (at least the positive ones), so I guess if they say the right thing, they get the .gov seal of approval. I also always see stories in the clips by places like Environmental News Service, but never anything from say, Conservative News Service.

I would prefer who, what, where, when. Let me make up my own damn mind.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 10:22:23 AM »
Modern journalism has been co-opted by the American university, with all that implies.  What most people have come to resist and resent is the gulf between what so many mainstream journalists think, see, and write, and what they themselves know as reality.  This is the result of academic indoctrination of reporters but also the hierarchical nature of mainstream media editorial boards where a very few people decide what the news is, how important a story is, and how it should be covered and presented.  A lot of reporters are also lazy and don't dig enough, often just re-hashing what other journalists like themselves have already said; they are also afraid to "embed" themselves sufficiently into American life to get to the granular truths.  Bloggers have become popular because they are mavericks, autonomous units, first-person observers unaffiliated with power structures.  They have brought the "I" back into journalism in a way that is energizing but also clearly makes the top-down, aristocratic power structure of the MSM very, very uncomfortable.

There is no "cure" for what ails mainstream journalism, but what they will try first is to amputate alternative sources and muzzle outsiders if at all possible.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 10:02:24 PM »
Government Intervention in Newspapers Will Cause Serious Harm
Posted On June 4, 2010

Jason Stverak, President of the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity, a national leading organization on nonprofit journalism, released the following statement concerning the Federal Trade Commission releasing a 47-page staff discussion draft purposed for “reinventing journalism.” The draft discussion entitled “Potential Policy Recommendations to Support the Reinvention of Journalism,” outlines major government intervention to help the struggling newspaper business.

“The recent decline in the newspaper business has left many wondering what will come of this struggling industry. However, expanded government influence on journalism would be disastrous to the reputation and credibility of journalists.

If government intervenes in the news industry, journalists no longer will be able to report credibly on stories that matter to the people, but ultimately only on what matters to officials. Journalists will ignore scandal and corruption for fear of losing government funds. They will become political flacks and write to appease government instead of investigating it.

In addition, throwing government funding into a traditional media is a blatant failure to recognize that newspapers are not the future of journalism. At best, throwing government subsidies at newspapers is only a short-term fix and that compromise to the news industry would do irreparable harm. The reanimation of journalism arises in new online nonprofit news ventures, not government intervention.”

For more information, please visit FranklinCenterHQ.org

heres the doc:
http://www.ftc.gov/opp/workshops/news/jun15/docs/new-staff-discussion.pdf
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:14:01 PM by Harold Tuttle »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 05:35:51 PM »
I've always thought main stream journalism print version would go the way of non-profit groups.  They would cease pursuit of filthy lucre and instead go to work for betterment of all person kind.  Funding would come from a list of the usual suspects or perhaps from new suspects.  They only thing they would have to do is dispense with the fiction of being impartial, easy for the news consumer to do but bordering on impossible for participants.  Downsizing would ensue but it will occur with or without their change in tax status.  Government-media establishment would retain the fig leaf of oversight by a press while avoiding the consequences of alienating customers.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 05:53:11 PM by Waitone »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 12:17:34 PM »
We are not that far away from literally having state-controlled media in America.

"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 12:29:55 AM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.