Author Topic: Enforce Existing Gun Laws: It seemed a Brilliant Idea At The Time  (Read 1553 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Grandmother jailed over WWII 'family heirloom' pistol

Page last updated at 16:48 GMT, Wednesday, 16 June 2010 17:48 UK

* E-mail this to a friend
    * Printable version

Gail Cochrane. Pic by Ciaran Donnelly Gail Cochrane was jailed for five years for possessing the weapon

A grandmother has been jailed for five years for possessing a "family heirloom" World War II pistol.

Gail Cochrane, 53, had kept the gun for 29 years following the death of her father, who had been in the Royal Navy.

Police found the weapon, a Browning self-loading pistol, during a search of her home in Dundee while looking for her son.

She admitted illegal possession of the firearm, an offence with a minimum five-year jail term under Scots law.

Cochrane told the High Court in Edinburgh that she had never contemplated she might be committing a crime by keeping the gun or that she might need to get a licence for the weapon.

She said: "I thought it was just a war trophy."

Defence solicitor advocate Jack Brown argued that the circumstances surrounding the case were exceptional and that it would be "draconian, unjust and disproportionate" to jail the grandmother-of-six.
Prohibited weapon

However, Judge Lady Smith said: "I am not satisfied that a reasonable explanation has been put forward for not handing this gun into the authorities throughout the 29-year period she says she has had it in her possession."

The judge said she was unable to find herself satisfied that this was one of the rare cases in which exceptional circumstances existed.

She said: "The result is I have no alternative but to sentence Mrs Cochrane to a period of five years."

The case began after police arrived at the 53-year-old's home on 17 June 2009 with an arrest warrant for her son who had failed to turn up for a court appearance.

He was not at the flat, but the 80-year-old pistol was found underneath a mattress in her bedroom.

When interviewed, Cochrane told police that the gun had previously belonged to her father and that she had kept it when he died.

She said she believed it was a real gun, but had no ammunition for it.

The weapon was sent for examination by firearms experts who concluded that it was a Czech-made pistol dating back to about 1927.

Cochrane admitted having the 7.65 millimetre Browning self-loading pistol at her home without a firearms certificate and possessing the prohibited weapon without the authority of the Secretary of State or Scottish minister

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/10335003.stm

Micro Asks:

Don't judges in the UK have some discretion in these matters? Couldn't the judge have gone "hey, what now?" and sentenced the lady to a month of community service?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Enforce Existing Gun Laws: It seemed a Brilliant Idea At The Time
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 05:31:22 PM »
Police found the weapon, a Browning self-loading pistol, during a search of her home in Dundee while looking for her son.

The weapon was sent for examination by firearms experts who concluded that it was a Czech-made pistol dating back to about 1927.

Cochrane admitted having the 7.65 millimetre Browning self-loading pistol

Confusing as to what it was.

I was wondering how a Browning pistol would be a war trophy for a UK WWII vet.

Stupid reporter, offering the caliber as a manufacturer.  This is why we need more guns in everyone's hands... it spreads knowledge even into the bowels of the news room.

I'm curious what kind of Czech .30 Browning pistol would be considered a war trophy, though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 05:57:10 PM »
Confusing as to what it was.

I was wondering how a Browning pistol would be a war trophy for a UK WWII vet.

Stupid reporter, offering the caliber as a manufacturer.  This is why we need more guns in everyone's hands... it spreads knowledge even into the bowels of the news room.

I'm curious what kind of Czech .30 Browning pistol would be considered a war trophy, though.

Perhaps the Czechs licensed a Browning design and produced it locally, like they did their Mausers.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 08:36:05 AM »
Police found the weapon, a Browning self-loading pistol, during a search of her home in Dundee while looking for her son. . . . He was not at the flat, but the 80-year-old pistol was found underneath a mattress in her bedroom.
So the coppers were looking to arrest her son and they looked for him under the mattress? In the US, arrest warrants have been interpreted to let police look in places a person who's hiding might reasonably be found - closet, attic, etc., but don't extend to drawers, small boxes, and such. But I guess in Scotland, arrest warrants grant carte blanche for the coppers to toss the entire home.

Must have been a really skinny kid if they expected to find him under a mattress.

I wonder what level of personal security Scotland provides their judiciary . . . handing down decisions like this, one would think Judge Lady Smith would need protection 24/7.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Perhaps she just used a misnomer.  To her, souvenir = "trophy."

The case began after police arrived at the 53-year-old's home on 17 June 2009 with an arrest warrant for her son who had failed to turn up for a court appearance.

He was not at the flat, but the 80-year-old pistol was found underneath a mattress in her bedroom.

That strikes me as odd... did they think he was hiding under that mattress?  Don't they have something akin to this

...and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. (CONUS, Amendment IV)

in their search and seizure laws?  Or is every search a general search warrant:  "He might be under the mattress, so tear the place apart, and don't forget to look in the toilet tank for him."

ETA:  I see HankB also thought it was odd.  He beat me to it with this observation.  I have to learn to type faster.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:47:37 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 11:18:08 AM »
Edited for lack of reading comprehension skills
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 01:07:03 PM »
So what does the idea of enforcing existing gun laws as an argument IN THE US against more gun control have to do with this article?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »
So what does the idea of enforcing existing gun laws as an argument IN THE US against more gun control have to do with this article?

Because this is how they'll be enforced.

Do you think prosecutors wouldn't go after some guy who kept, say his grandfather's trophy gun from WW1? Or his father's Vietnam bringback?

People think "enforcing existing laws" just means going after the gang members with their guns, but it doesn't.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner