Author Topic: Hey Vaskidmark !!  (Read 2854 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Hey Vaskidmark !!
« on: July 06, 2015, 12:53:01 AM »
Does this rendition met with your approval?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwxv-EZpb7U
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Hey Vaskidmark !!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 01:16:21 AM »
Not Vaskidmark, but it sure doesn't meet my approval.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:31:04 AM »
Too stylish for my taste.  Too many fancy vocal fiddlings.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »
I can't believe it!!  Some of you are actually coming around to seeing why I am so damned picky.  (We might have to start a club soon.)

Like most rendition attempts it started off with promise.  And then should have been pushed into the fiery volcano's crater and stomped on to drive it to the very center where it could roast for all eternity.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 11:01:37 AM »
Just as the lyrics are established, I believe there should be a standard arrangement and phrasing. Ululation or note-bending belongs in a hardline Pentecostal church or an African battlefield, not the National Anthem. And this men's choir/barbershop quintet fusion isn't up to snuff, either.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 11:46:57 AM »
Ululation or note-bending belongs in a hardline Pentecostal church or an African battlefield, not the National Anthem.

:lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 12:15:52 PM »
When sung well and with reverence, not as an American Idol (idiot is more like it) audition, it can bring a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat. That other crap makes me want to gouge out my eardrums with an icepick and hurt someone!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 03:00:36 PM »
http://starspangledmusic.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/1942AnthemCode.pdf

Among other minor points, please note that is "ban ne-er" and not ban an ner".  Singers will get to that point with me applauding and encouraging them, but screw that up and I'll be chasing you to rip your vocal cords out.

Question (yes, I know it's a stupid one but here it comes anyhow): How come nobody tries to exhibit their vocal styling and contralto/vibrato/ululation abilities when singing, among others God Save the King/Queen, Le Marseilles, The State Anthem of the Russian Federation (Госуда́рственный гимн Росси́йской Федера́ции, tr. Gosudarstvenny Gimn Rossiyskoy Federatsii), or even Oh, Canada?

I do know why nobody tries to screw up/embellish March of the Volunteers (traditional Chinese: 義勇軍進行曲; pinyin: Yìyǒngjūn Jìnxíngqǔ).  Perhaps we should adopt the same official attitude?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 05:06:52 PM »
I just had to listen to 義勇軍進行曲 just to see if I recognised it, and I did.

Years ago, maybe about 1970, a Chinese refugee friend from the mainland, was singing to himself – then with a worried expression asked me not to tell anyone from Taiwan what he had been singing.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 05:58:33 PM »
Does this rendition met with your approval?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwxv-EZpb7U

I'm an old fogie when it comes to this topic, so this is not my favorite rendering of the anthem. But it's restrained enough, I wouldn't complain too much about it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 06:53:53 PM »
The lost me at "perilous".

The song is difficult enough to sing well as written. Adding vocal doo dads to it is like adding ruffles to Kaylee's pretty dress. It doesn't need it.
I sometimes think that the reason they add kerfuffluffal is because they actually can't sing it as written and have to hide the fact.

Example: She probably has more vocal tricks, abilities and whatnot up her sleaves than any of this idiots in the OP. https://youtu.be/7etXoNrwP8c

Doesn't use more than hitting (and sticking) those high notes like a *expletive deleted*ing boss.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 07:50:25 PM »
If a group is singing the Star Spangled Banner and they have a good tenor, there's one or two spots where the harmony should be altered just a little so his voice can "ring" a bit (like "... our flag was still there") no embellishment or flourishes, just loud clear notes.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 08:50:23 PM »
Example: She probably has more vocal tricks, abilities and whatnot up her sleaves than any of this idiots in the OP. https://youtu.be/7etXoNrwP8c

Doesn't use more than hitting (and sticking) those high notes like a *expletive deleted*ing boss.

Doesn't work for me. Too much embellishment.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 08:56:36 PM »
Doesn't work for me. Too much embellishment.

I agree.  She does a good job of sticking the notes (and in tune!) but the notes are not supposed to be there.  (I've heard a *lot* worse)  It wasn't a fail, but not great either.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 09:00:51 PM »
Here's a good instrumental version:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMMY-YHZ7O0 ;)
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 11:30:08 PM »
I guess I have to work on my snobbery.  I happy with anyone that tries to do it with a sense of pride and honor.  It's an English drinking club song that was only crudely mated to the poem many years after.  All the other anthems had words and music penned at the same time, which is why they are easier to sing.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 12:59:26 AM »
I guess I have to work on my snobbery.  I happy with anyone that tries to do it with a sense of pride and honor.  It's an English drinking club song that was only crudely mated to the poem many years after.  All the other anthems had words and music penned at the same time, which is why they are easier to sing.

I'm sure you can do it.  It's actually pretty easy with a little practice ;)

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the Vice President's anthem sounds a lot like "Itsy Bitsy Spider"?  (with ruffles and flourishes, of course)
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 06:11:37 AM »
I guess I have to work on my snobbery.  I happy with anyone that tries to do it with a sense of pride and honor.

Yes, you really must work on that.

The problem I have with all these embellished renditions is that the singer isn't showing respect for the National Anthem, he or she is exhibiting egotistical pride (hubris) in how "well" they can change the Anthem to make it their own. Which happens to be what the Anthem Code specifically says is not to be done.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »
Yes, you really must work on that.

The problem I have with all these embellished renditions is that the singer isn't showing respect for the National Anthem, he or she is exhibiting egotistical pride (hubris) in how "well" they can change the Anthem to make it their own. Which happens to be what the Anthem Code specifically says is not to be done.

Bingdingo. Nail struck square on its head.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 11:47:15 AM »
This one will either put VA into an apoplectic rage or curled-up in into the fetal position and whimpering in the corner.  =D [popcorn] [popcorn]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=122&v=QuEGn8Cn6ms

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 03:53:49 PM »
This one will either put VA into an apoplectic rage or curled-up in into the fetal position and whimpering in the corner.  =D [popcorn] [popcorn]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=122&v=QuEGn8Cn6ms

Where's the Big Yawn emoticon?

A freaking amateur.  Bored.  Pity for the fool showing off for drunks who don't know better.

At least Jimi Hendrix understood the styling.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09QiZml2PTU

A contest between the two of them would be all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPB2qbxuiLM

stay safe.