Author Topic: Pelosi Minority Leader Again  (Read 6266 times)

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Pelosi Minority Leader Again
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2016, 11:40:42 AM »
To me those maps do represent something - identity politics. Slice & dice the electorate into interest groups , promise something to enough groups to get 51%,  and then make the other 49% bend over and take it.

No thank you
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2016, 11:48:57 AM »
To me those maps do represent something - identity politics. Slice & dice the electorate into interest groups , promise something to enough groups to get 51%,  and then make the other 49% bend over and take it.

No thank you

That would be great. However, as I've warned for YEARS that this was the inevitable outcome of Democrat identity group politics.

One side in a battle (political or otherwise) cannot willfully disarm without disastrous consequences. The larger "identities" in the U.S. are waking up to that.

I really wish we could have a polity where identity politics was shunned. We've not had that in my lifetime.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2016, 12:20:39 PM »

No thank you

You may not believe in identity politics, but identity politics believes in you.

Plus, what mak wrote.

You want to go back to a political culture less beholden to identity politics?  Go back to the pre-1965 American population.  Or the pre-1900, more like, and repeal the 19th Amendment.  That oughta get you close.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2016, 12:32:44 PM »

No thank you

I disdain identity politics myself, but it is possible to examine how different "identities" vote, without playing that game oneself.

And for what it's worth, the red v blue county maps aren't identity-related, unless we're counting political parties as an identity. They just show how isolated the support is for the Democratic Party, despite their propaganda organs reaching all over the country.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »
Since there seems to be some consensus about there being such a signficant urban vs rural divide* I decided to look into how that split actually works out. I was surprised at how much of the population lives in urban areas - 70% (or more depending on definition) and growing.

The country is undeniably urban, and the urban majority is counted by population, not by the amount of urban areas. But with such a wide spectrum making up the definition of the word "urban," maybe it makes more sense to think of the U.S. as majority non-rural

*Please don't go on another derail about killin off all them evil city folk, that was kind of disturbing.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2016, 06:05:53 PM »
I was surprised at how much of the population lives in urban areas - 70% (or more depending on definition) and growing.

"Depending on definition" indeed. The census loves to assign people to "metropolitan statistical areas." According to that classification, since I live within a metropolitan statistical area, I am probably classified as "urban." But ... I don't live in a city. Where I live today is borderline between suburban and rural. When I was a kid, it was definitely rural -- we evicted the cows from one of my grandfather's pastures when my parents built the house in 1950.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2016, 06:13:45 PM »
"Depending on definition" indeed. The census loves to assign people to "metropolitan statistical areas." According to that classification, since I live within a metropolitan statistical area, I am probably classified as "urban." But ... I don't live in a city. Where I live today is borderline between suburban and rural. When I was a kid, it was definitely rural -- we evicted the cows from one of my grandfather's pastures when my parents built the house in 1950.

"No Pasture, No Peace!"
----Bovine Lives Matter
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2016, 06:22:32 PM »
Where I live today is borderline between suburban and rural.

Can you shoot some targets in your backyard? Probably not the official measure but it's my requirement for being considered 'rural'. [ar15]

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2016, 06:58:45 PM »
There should be three categories for sure, urban, suburban and rural.

The suburbs are where all the confused moderates and independents live  :P
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2016, 07:02:45 PM »
Can you shoot some targets in your backyard? Probably not the official measure but it's my requirement for being considered 'rural'. [ar15]

My criteria adds "Can you raise pigs in you backyard?".
Both in the affirmative would be a requirement for me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2016, 07:06:49 PM »
I live in the suburbs of Hume. Ha Ha Ha Ha
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2016, 07:34:17 PM »
My criteria adds "Can you raise pigs in you backyard?".

Everyone here knows the only reason that's your criteria is for getting rid of the bodies. :P  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2016, 08:34:18 PM »
Everyone here knows the only reason that's your criteria is for getting rid of the bodies. :P  =D

The bacon is just a fringe benefit =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams