Author Topic: So how much do we care that O'Reilly's gone?  (Read 8343 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
So how much do we care that O'Reilly's gone?
« on: April 20, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »
'Cuz he was always a jerk, and not the most reliably conservative/libertarian fella out there.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: So how much do we care that O'Reilly's gone?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »
Not that much. I watched him early on, but as his head enlarged, I watched less and less until I completely stopped. He's a bit of a "safety over freedom" guy in my book.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 01:42:21 PM »

I haven't watched him in years and never really cared for him when he was on.

My opinion, though, likely diverges from the large number of people who have been watching him.

It's funny to see the left working so hard to take down a moderate like Mr. O'Reilly, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 01:52:04 PM »
'Cuz he was always a jerk, and not the most reliably conservative/libertarian fella out there.

He was a GOP statist shill and I hope he's gone for good.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »
I, too, watched him early on and had to blink my eyes and shake my head because he was in the face of the MSM.  Pleasant surprise, that.    But slowly but surely his huge ego began to manifest itself and I quit watching as I had with Hannity.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 03:13:01 PM »
O'Reilly Auto Parts?  I like them better than Pep Boys.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 03:30:36 PM »
One word has summed up O'Reilly for me in the recently :

bloviate

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 04:00:46 PM »
I, too, watched him early on and had to blink my eyes and shake my head because he was in the face of the MSM.  Pleasant surprise, that.    But slowly but surely his huge ego began to manifest itself and I quit watching as I had with Hannity.
I felt that way the first time I watched him.  However, I realized pretty quick he did not have a consistent political stance.  Moderate is as good of a description as any.  He just wasn't a raging liberal which was a huge change of pace. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 04:10:21 PM »

I do too.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 04:11:09 PM »
I felt that way the first time I watched him.  However, I realized pretty quick he did not have a consistent political stance.  Moderate is as good of a description as any.  He just wasn't a raging liberal which was a huge change of pace. 

He was a raging populist.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 05:04:51 PM »

My Dad uses them a lot, in his semi-retired, one-man automotive repair shop phase. I don't think they have Pep Boys out there in the boonies.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 05:44:42 PM »
So interesting side note - I'm wondering what the future of Fox News will be?

I read up a bit on the background on the O'Reilly thing, and apparently both O'Reilly and Ailes were ousted by James Murdoch, one of the sons. It seems he's a raging liberal and despises Fox News. He's been complaining about them being part of the Murdoch empire for years. One story suggested he wanted to combine Fox and RT (which they also own) into a "Murdoch global news network". It suggested he might soon be taking over things from his father.

As much as some of the Fox personalities can be asses, I would miss not having a differing viewpoint to every other MSM TV outlet. That said, I've mostly been getting my TV news from Fox Business Network, which seems to be a bit more capitalist/libertarian oriented (Stossel, Kennedy, Napalitano, Pirro, etc.) than Fox News.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 06:18:26 PM »
The Factor was all about O'Reilly.  Current events, and the discussion thereof, were just a prop.  We stopped watching him years ago.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 06:30:07 PM »

Better than Auto Zone too.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

agricola

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 06:51:09 PM »
So interesting side note - I'm wondering what the future of Fox News will be?

I read up a bit on the background on the O'Reilly thing, and apparently both O'Reilly and Ailes were ousted by James Murdoch, one of the sons. It seems he's a raging liberal and despises Fox News. He's been complaining about them being part of the Murdoch empire for years. One story suggested he wanted to combine Fox and RT (which they also own) into a "Murdoch global news network". It suggested he might soon be taking over things from his father.

As much as some of the Fox personalities can be asses, I would miss not having a differing viewpoint to every other MSM TV outlet. That said, I've mostly been getting my TV news from Fox Business Network, which seems to be a bit more capitalist/libertarian oriented (Stossel, Kennedy, Napalitano, Pirro, etc.) than Fox News.

It is James' style to cauterize wounds like that. 

When the Murdoch empire got into trouble over here for malpractice (presented as phone hacking, though they had also been paying cops and other public figures for information), the paper most obviously guilty of the practice was closed and all the records relating to the hacks who had paid for information - and all the sources who had been paid for it - was sorted through by NI's lawyers and then an unknown amount of it was handed over to the Police and Prosecutors. 

IIRC the end result was that all the sources were convicted, as were a couple of the hacks, but none of the suits. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »
Who?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 07:01:28 PM »
Mildly smug that he got himself canned,  he was a pompous jackass.  but otherwise don't care.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 08:04:19 PM »
With regard to Ben's question, I think Fox News will continue its slow slide to the left, though it might move a little faster now.
And the overall quality of its journalism will continue to erode; not that O'Reilly had anything to do with that.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 08:28:33 PM »
I have given up on all news channels. I don't watch the news at all anymore.

O"Reilly getting fired makes no difference to me.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 09:05:51 PM »
He was a GOP statist shill and I hope he's gone for good.

+1
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 11:58:13 PM »

He never claimed to be either conservative or libertarian.   He said he was a "traditionalist."  I liked him and will miss him.  If the  idiot James Murdock does lead  Fox  News to the left I may wind up missing the whole enchilada.
Don't  be fooled; the libtards have scored a hit.  We're down by one.   
O'Reilly may have had a fat head but he was better than 99.99% of all the talking heads on cable and broadcast TV.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »
I always thought he was more of an opportunist.  He found an opportunity to make a name for himself at Fox, and he did so.  I believe that if the opportunity came up at any of the other networks, or the other side of the aisle, he'd be there so long as their checks kept coming.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »
I kind of like the fill in they are using right now, Dana Perino, I had not heard much about her but so far I enjoy the way she handles herself and her guests on the show.

bob

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »
I don't write as goodly as this person but I agree with their take:

If the Right prefers standing firmly on the moral high ground, it can’t cave to the temptation to defend the indefensible. We’re different from the Left, but we’re still made up of flawed individuals who are pulled by fame and money. They’re not worth protecting just because you agree with them on the Second Amendment, taxation, and national security.

Sure, I’ll wait to see if the ongoing drama turns out to be an actual smear campaign as promised facts are presented. For now, though, I don’t put it past Bill O’Reilly to have done exactly what he’s accused of. His spirited crusade against political correctness shouldn’t lure us to ignore his transgressions nor betray our principles.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »
His stance on issues is based upon what's best for him, not an overall philosophy. He allowed guests very little time to speak, instead using them as whipping boys for his own arguements. I tired of him very quickly.

None of the conservative talkers are crying foul, so I assume it's not a liberal conspiracy.