Author Topic: So how much do we care that O'Reilly's gone?  (Read 8345 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: So how much do we care that O'Reilly's gone?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 01:44:40 PM »
From the few times I'd actually watched him, he was constantly staking out a "middle ground" on guns and 2A issues. Pro ownership of whatever constituted "regular guns" in his mind, pro carry, but constantly harping on guns that were "too dangerous" or "too extreme" and thought there should be a rigorous application process, should people even be allowed to own them at all. Seemingly completely ignorant of the NFA which pretty much is just that.

No loss.
I promise not to duck.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »
He was just enough of a "conservative" to cause almost as much damage to the causes as he helped, especially when it comes to gun "rights."

I had stopped paying attention to him several years ago.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »
I saw somewhere this morning that he got a 25 million dollar going away present.  The Left will crow about getting his scalp because that's what they do.  It doesn't matter that he wasn't a conservative, they will paint him as one and how they brought his evil heiney down.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 03:04:08 PM »
I saw somewhere this morning that he got a 25 million dollar going away present.  The Left will crow about getting his scalp because that's what they do.  It doesn't matter that he wasn't a conservative, they will paint him as one and how they brought his evil heiney down.

How did him sexually harassing women turn into the left getting his scalp?  Guy sounds like a sleaze.

Unless that's ok now?

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »
My dad always liked him and watched him every night.  I thought he was mostly a blow hard.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 04:05:29 PM »
How did him sexually harassing women turn into the left getting his scalp?  Guy sounds like a sleaze.

Unless that's ok now?

Chris

That makes sense to the Left, though. In their narrative, O'Reilly was a conservative stalwart; a leader in our war on women (though we're also somehow religious extremists waging war on sex - I'm not sure how that works). To them, O'Reilly's only doing what conservatives do.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 05:21:53 PM »
How did him sexually harassing women turn into the left getting his scalp?  Guy sounds like a sleaze.

Unless that's ok now?

Chris

So,  I guess you actually believe he really did sexually harass women? ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »

In this day and age it doesn't take much more than looking at a woman for more 6 seconds without blinking for some of them to claim you were harassing them.  =|

It is one of those subjective things, what many would consider normal the outliers believe it is something else. :(

bob

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 05:53:51 PM »
Don't even need to look their way. be involved in your own life & they claim to be harassed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-gE7PGJtRc

BobR

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »
Don't even need to look their way. be involved in your own life & they claim to be harassed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-gE7PGJtRc

@AnnaStorelli

Only for the brave, or foolish.  :O

bob

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 06:22:11 PM »

You have proof he didn't?  You don't settle multiple claims if you're innocent.

Chris

BobR

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 06:23:50 PM »
You have proof he didn't?  You don't settle multiple million dollar plus claims if you're innocent.

Chris

FTFY

bob

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 06:47:31 PM »
FTFY

bob

It's all a libtard conspiracy.

Chris

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 07:36:51 PM »
You have proof he didn't?  You don't settle multiple claims if you're innocent.

Chris

Who wrote THAT law?

While I certainly understand that settling FIVE  sex harassment charges sure looks BAD, the fact is that the corporate lawyers (who defend the CORPORATE'S interest -- not the "defendant's") have long maintained the nasty habit of paying off ... "troublemakers" to make them "go away."  It has been viewed as an economy measure -- the fear of losing in court and having to pay off big $$$$$ and suffer the publicity that results ... or paying the complainant off with a few million and a nondisclosure agreement, thus limiting the public awareness of the problem.

From what I glean, people who gain power and sexually harass tend to keep doing it.  A habit they maintain so long as they can get away with it, until they are stopped .... like an "irresistable force" that finally discovers an "immoveable object."  From this logic it would appear, perhaps (and not unreasonably) that O'Reilly is guilty.  
Perhaps he is.
But, people who "pay off" troublemakers tend to create patterns as well.  As I said, lawyers pay them off even when the accused is innocent.  But this means, to the unethical "gold-digger" that all she need do if she wants a big settlement is to create a situation where, as they say, it's "he said versus she said,"  and if the pattern rings true, the lawyers will again settle.
To add to the matter, there's other motives as well.  With O'Reilly, his perceived rightwing bent as well as Fox News' could easily create a political motive -- someone who is a strong leftist out to "get" both O'Reilly and maybe Fox News as well.

Of course, it might also not be quit this simple.  Some COULD be phony charges and some COULD be legitimate charges where O'Reilly DID sexually harass a lady.   Or maybe he just looked at her too long without blinking.   I hear in someplace the cut off is 6 seconds......

I wasn't there.  I DON'T KNOW THE TRUTH.  AND NEITHER DO YOU.  AS the credit on the old "X Files" stated; "The truth is Out There."  Maybe, but it's not in either of ours' heads!  
Maybe it will come out someday, maybe not.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
But let's not be so sure we actually have some real insight into the truth, 'cause we don't.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 08:36:03 PM »
You're really stretching to make this a liberal plot. 

He's been fighting these allegations from coworkers since 2004.  His boss, who he supported until the guy was fired, was also accused by coworkers. 

Where there's smoke, there's fire.  But it's ok as long as it's a "conservative" pundit.  We only assume the worst when it's a libtard being accused, amirite? ;)

Chris

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 11:18:08 PM »
You're really stretching to make this a liberal plot.  

He's been fighting these allegations from coworkers since 2004.  His boss, who he supported until the guy was fired, was also accused by coworkers.  

Where there's smoke, there's fire.  But it's ok as long as it's a "conservative" pundit.  We only assume the worst when it's a libtard being accused, amirite? ;)

Chris
"Any fact when  viewed from a alternate perspective,  will yield a different interpretation," ~~Sherlock Holmes.

I'm not saying O'Reilly didn't do anything.   I'm saying we don't  KNOW  he did.   Yeah,  the facts stink for him,  and a pattern of behaviour exists.   But as I said,  that pattern  cuts both ways.

Unless you're clairvoyant,  I guess......

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2017, 08:39:01 AM »
I have not watched the great bloviator in years.  In fact, I don't recall having  tuned in Fox News in a long, long time.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2017, 08:55:25 AM »
In this day and age it doesn't take much more than looking at a woman for more 6 seconds without blinking for some of them to claim you were harassing them.  =|
And not looking at that same woman at all could be a micro/milli/mega aggression.

We really don't know what O'Reilly did or didn't do. Maybe they're unjust accusations, maybe he really IS a scumbag off camera.

In any case, his show was becoming . . . tiresome.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2017, 10:51:24 PM »
And not looking at that same woman at all could be a micro/milli/mega aggression.

We really don't know what O'Reilly did or didn't do. Maybe they're unjust accusations, maybe he really IS a scumbag off camera.

In any case, his show was becoming . . . tiresome.

I always thought he came off as something of a scumbag on camera, so I am inclined to believe there is something more to the accusations then him looking cross eyed at a couple pretty ladies. *shrug*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2017, 11:36:19 PM »
I always thought he came off as something of a scumbag on camera, so I am inclined to believe there is something more to the accusations then him looking cross eyed at a couple pretty ladies. *shrug*
People with an ego like he probably has, it is easy to believe.  Regardless, the powers at Fox are using it as an excuse to get rid of him.  I haven't watched Fox in years, but I have been meaning to watch Tucker Carlson.

I am curious if one of the other news networks would pick him up.  Give him an all male staff and try to steal ratings from Fox.  If it were just ratings, I think one of them would. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2017, 08:17:41 PM »
People with an ego like he probably has, it is easy to believe.  Regardless, the powers at Fox are using it as an excuse to get rid of him.  I haven't watched Fox in years, but I have been meaning to watch Tucker Carlson.

I am curious if one of the other news networks would pick him up.  Give him an all male staff and try to steal ratings from Fox.  If it were just ratings, I think one of them would. 

oh, he will resurface with another TV show, I'm sure.
 Like a lot of newyorker rino's who pose as conservatives he was astoundingly ignorant wrt RKBA, to the point of making me wanna scream
However, on other stuff, pretty good sometimes - he made it OK for grumpy old men to care about their diet by touting Wheat Belly Book .
His Killing books, while written for 8th grade literacy are all pretty good ( or at least the ghost writers are )

I liked him and will sortofmisshim.
Tuckers OK ish.

The one thing I heard that he did that sounds totally believable, was to constantly refer to an attractive young African American gal as "hot chocolate"  ;/
Not really sexual harassment but just what a lot of older grumpy males say to waitresses , thinking they're being witty while everyone else is groaning and rolling their eyes .
Not enough to fire him but enough to yell at him.
I only get 4 channels at home, fox news is one so its kept there 90 % of the time-except for those unbearable old people commercials - I'm only over fifty - I'm not going to pick out my nursing home yet!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2017, 02:48:22 AM »

The one thing I heard that he did that sounds totally believable, was to constantly refer to an attractive young African American gal as "hot chocolate"  ;/
Not really sexual harassment but just what a lot of older grumpy males say to waitresses , thinking they're being witty while everyone else is groaning and rolling their eyes .

I only get 4 channels at home, fox news is one so its kept there 90 % of the time-except for those unbearable old people commercials - I'm only over fifty - I'm not going to pick out my nursing home yet!

Just for the record, if that was said in a work place, it is 100% Sexual Harassment, as well as an EO violation, and enough to fire him.  Especially if said more than once.

I am in the camp that doesn't care he's gone.  He seemed like an ahole, was spectacularly wrong on some issues that rank high on my personal "give a damn" scale and had an arrogant, pretty much unwatchable, look how smart I am show.  With a lot of spin in it.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2017, 08:57:56 AM »
. . .
The one thing I heard that he did that sounds totally believable, was to constantly refer to an attractive young African American gal as "hot chocolate"  ;/
Considering that Ray Nagin referred to NOLA as a "chocolate city," why wouldn't that be acceptable?  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2017, 09:17:12 AM »
Considering that Ray Nagin referred to NOLA as a "chocolate city," why wouldn't that be acceptable?  >:D

You should strive to hold yourself to a higher standard than Ray Nagin in .... well everything.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2017, 01:18:56 PM »
You should strive to hold yourself to a higher standard than Ray Nagin in .... well everything.

easy enough

I worked around a lot of attractive young ladies in Reno for awhile and never once thought of saying anything like the hot chocolate
thing ....

I've never fit into the corporate mold , i just don't care much what other people are saying - I hadn't realized that "hot chocolate" could be considered
harassment - I probably need diversity training
http://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2016/05/19/dying-laughing-guy-who-live-tweeted-mandatory-diversity-training-session-might-be-our-new-hero-and-yours-pics/
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."