Author Topic: Oklahoma botches double execution. Crap.  (Read 7660 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Oklahoma botches double execution. Crap.
« on: April 29, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »
Well, this won't bode well for continued death penalaties in Oklahoma.

http://www.newson6.com/story/25384453/execution-fails-on-oklahoma-man
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Oklahoma botches double execution. Crap.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:44:44 PM »
So either his vein failed or the chemicals extravasated into the muscle tissue where they were slowly absorbed by the body, as opposed to the much quicker effect had they made it to the circulation.  Potassium chloride, which is used to stop the heart, burns terribly if it leaks outside of the blood vessel.  And the drugs used to render him unconscious (midazolam) and to paralyze him and stop his breathing (pancuronium bromide) also were slowly absorbed.  There is a pretty good chance that he was in terrible pain, partially or completely paralyzed and not unconscious when enough of the potassium chloride was absorbed to give him a heart attack. 

There are many people who will say that he got what he deserved, and his crime was horrendous and not deserving of mercy.  But if the State is going to execute people on my behalf, I ask that it be done quickly and humanely. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:49:41 PM »
So either his vein failed or the chemicals extravasated into the muscle tissue where they were slowly absorbed by the body, as opposed to the much quicker effect had they made it to the circulation.  Potassium chloride, which is used to stop the heart, burns terribly if it leaks outside of the blood vessel.  And the drugs used to render him unconscious (midazolam) and to paralyze him and stop his breathing (pancuronium bromide) also were slowly absorbed.  There is a pretty good chance that he was in terrible pain, partially or completely paralyzed and not unconscious when enough of the potassium chloride was absorbed to give him a heart attack. 

There are many people who will say that he got what he deserved, and his crime was horrendous and not deserving of mercy.  But if the State is going to execute people on my behalf, I ask that it be done quickly and humanely. 
which brings me back to just put a bullet in their head. Hell, you could rig it up just about the same as they do now just with a gun instead of an IV. Bit more messy, I suppose. But oh well.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:05:37 PM »
Thread title is misleading.

Dude was injected

Dude died.

Execution was successful. *expletive deleted*ck him
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:14:16 PM »
3 drugs?  i bet they prep a week spend thousands for what i could do in 5 mins for under a 100 bucks,
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 10:19:41 PM »
It was supposed to be a double execution.  Only one dude got injected/died.  Thus botched.  Thread title accurate.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Oklahoma botches double execution. Crap.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 10:31:58 PM »
I don't know why we waste drugs on executions. Rope is better for the environment, cheaper, and reusable.

Win-win-win.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 10:47:15 PM »
It's been a big deal here for the last month or so. These 2 dirtbags had there executio stayed a couple of times over the drug mix being used. This go around was a "new" cocktail. I suspect that we won't see another execution in Oklahoma for quite a while.

I also wouldn't be surprised to find that a sympathetic anti-death penalty insider managed to sabotage the event.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:21:49 PM »
The odd thing is that if they had good vascular access, it should have gone swimmingly.  The failure of the execution is not a function of the drugs being used, it was a failure of not having rapid access of the drugs to the blood stream.  The drugs are the standard execution drug protocol with substituting the midazolam (Versed) for the phenobarbital that is now almost impossible to get.  Theoretically, he should have been snowed under with a heavy dose of the sedative Versed, and then while unconscious, they would have followed with the pancuronium bromide to paralyze his respiratory muscles and then the potassium chloride to stop his heart.   After the potassium chloride hit his bloodstream, he would have been dead in seconds.

All the crap about not knowing where the drugs came from and were they FDA approved and all that was just a smokescreen to stop the penalty period.  But with this latest event, the opponents have more arrows in the quiver, that is for sure.  Some of these prisoners have just crappy vascular access due to years of drug use.  In some cases, they have to do a vascular cutdown in the execution chamber in order to ensure that the drugs can get into the bloodstream ASAP.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:25:15 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 12:29:27 AM »
I still don't understand what the hell is wrong with pushing an LD100 bolus of Etomidate, Fentanayl, and Succinylcholine like you were going to intubate, then uh... just don't intubate.  =| Every ER in America has those drugs.

Junkie with collapsed veins, meh.. PICC line.

Despite my strong Libertarian leanings, I DO think that in theory, people can do things heinous enough that the state/society has the right to kill them.

In practice, the number of people who've been exonerated from death row, the burden all the appeals on the court system, and all the extra expense, which winds up delaying justice, and creating shorter incarcerations for other truly dangerous non-capital case criminals. Every guilty guy who fried wasn't worth one innocent man who did.

The whole penal system is a bunch of conflicting concepts, rehabilitation, punishment, "paying" for what was done. The whole thing needs to be triaged predicated on the idea of protecting innocent society from harm. Capital punishment, however deserved it is in some cases, detracts from that.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 12:36:29 AM »
What's wrong with just injecting heroin or morophine until they just die?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 12:37:21 AM »
The whole thing needs to be triaged predicated on the idea of protecting innocent society from harm.

This.  And, treating it as collective self defense, any method the victim could legitimately have been justified in using, had they been able, should be fair game.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 12:38:33 AM »
I think someone has posted this before, but why not just do a "gas chamber" type of execution and just flood the room with N2?  From my understanding, there's no freak out due to the CO2 chemoceptors being triggered.  I think the nitrogen intoxication gives a bit of an euphoric feeling, and allows for a relatively gentle slip into unconsciousness, and then the oxygen deprivation does the rest.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 12:39:09 AM »
What's wrong with nitrogen?

Refill on a 300 cf cylinder is what, 80 bucks retail?

Dude was injected

Dude died.

Execution was successful. *expletive deleted* him

I literally laughed out loud  =D

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 12:41:50 AM »
I think someone has posted this before, but why not just do a "gas chamber" type of execution and just flood the room with N2?  From my understanding, there's no freak out due to the CO2 chemoceptors being triggered.  I think the nitrogen intoxication gives a bit of an euphoric feeling, and allows for a relatively gentle slip into unconsciousness, and then the oxygen deprivation does the rest.

Beat me to it.

I have a habit of reading the MSDS for whatever chemicals I'm working with.  Once I started doing HVAC and having cylinders of dry nitrogen around, it became apparent that it's ideal for this.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 12:58:41 AM »
What's wrong with nitrogen?

Refill on a 300 cf cylinder is what, 80 bucks retail?

I literally laughed out loud  =D

*bows*
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 05:49:05 AM »

The words "gas" and "chamber" probably. Press would have a field day.
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 07:49:33 AM »

the hypocrisy of our culture looks for a pretty execution
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Pb

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 10:00:25 AM »
This person shot a woman and helped bury her alive.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 10:04:37 AM »
Yes and the one that got at least another 14 days raped and murdered a baby,  11 months old I believe.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »

Yes and the one that got at least another 14 days raped and murdered a baby,  11 months old I believe.

^^^ Bears repeating.

Nitrogen Nook

Sleepy Space

Carbon Sequestration Station

the hypocrisy of our culture looks for a pretty execution

Execution and enforcement.  Many folk are fine give agents of gov't the authority to shoot folk in the face so they don;t have to.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 10:59:58 AM »

Yeah, I'm not very sympathetic  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 11:05:15 AM »
I think they should be checking out Clyde Shelton.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 12:48:02 PM »
They don't even need a gas *chamber*, just a mask.  Give the guy a sedative like diazepam, (if he doesn't take it, that's his problem) strap him to a table, apply face mask with N2 for 5 minutes or whatever it takes.

BTW, I'm generally against the death penalty, but if you're going to do it there doesn't need to be such a ritual about it.
"It's good, though..."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
Beheading can either be quick and virtually painless or slow and agonizing.  Either way works for me.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!