Author Topic: We're #1!  (Read 1132 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
We're #1!
« on: June 03, 2015, 07:45:13 AM »
Oklahoma cops kill more people than cops in any other state.

http://www.newson6.com/story/29223020/report-oklahoma-leads-nation-in-fatal-police-shooting

"Nine times out of 10 or more they're being confronted by that suspect. It's the suspect's actions that dictate the situation," said George. "If people would just do what they are told, whether they think the officer is right or wrong, they just do what they are told these situations wouldn't happen 99.9% of the time."
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: We're #1!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 08:06:43 AM »

Then there is
Henderson also points to the high rates of mental illness and substance abuse that goes untreated. Case in point: 83-year-old Buddy Weaver, who was threatening officers with a machete when police shot and killed him.

“Those are people, they're not necessarily trying to do anything criminal. They're not there to hurt anybody else. But they can appear dangerous to a law enforcement officer.”
which shows that OK police are not shooting enough people.  Maybe it's that they are shooting too many of the wrong people?

“Nine times out of 10 or more they're being confronted by that suspect. It's the suspect's actions that dictate the situation,” said George. “If people would just do what they are told, whether they think the officer is right or wrong, they just do what they are told these situations wouldn't happen 99.9% of the time.”

While I hate that attitude, I have to agree that on the side of the road is usually the worst place to debate the integrity of your rights.  The only way I know how to remedy the situation is to fatally pierce the veil of qualified immunity.  It is sad that there are not enough people who have never had their rights (directly) violated by the cops that are interested in fixing the situation.  Too bad there is no longer any room in the public indoctrination curriculum for "Identification of Oxes Being Gored).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 09:37:41 AM »
Saying people should do what they are told is probably poor word choice (I hope).  However, seeing some of the worst case scenarios these cops get into at times, it is hard to tell the difference between someone getting out of the car to aggressively argue versus someone getting out to attack.  Not every cop is a hand to hand combat expert. 

Of course, they could give cops back their night sticks and then people would complain about cops beating people up too much. 

Overall, it is tough to judge OK cops without looking at each individual shooting. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 12:56:10 PM »
Overall, it is tough to judge OK cops without looking at each individual shooting

Well, so far we haven't had any riots, yet.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 01:00:22 PM »
Well, so far we haven't had any riots, yet.

I'm sure that was said in ferguson and Baltimore a while back.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:06:35 PM »
I'm sure that was said in ferguson and Baltimore a while back.

I thought the questions in those cities was "When do we start the riot?"

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »

stay safe.

I'm sure that is an accurate description of most who rioted. However, I think the problem is more than that, more deeply ingrained in the LE community. I've lost count of how many times on news channels, just now on fox, that a talking head has asked how do we honor our cops. A major PR campaign is underway to paint police in a favorable light, while ignoring the issues we commonly talk about here:  lack of oversight, militarized police, actions that woukd get a non badge wearing citizen jailed cops walk or at best get NJPed. The problem is much deeper. And I figure it will get much worse.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »

No, the question was, "What can we claim as a reason an excuse for a riot?"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 09:16:32 PM »
A major PR campaign is underway to paint police in a favorable light, while ignoring the issues we commonly talk about here:  lack of oversight, militarized police, actions that woukd get a non badge wearing citizen jailed cops walk or at best get NJPed. The problem is much deeper. And I figure it will get much worse.

I just finished a 12-session Citizens Police Academy offered by the police department in the neighboring town. We met on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and each evening a different officer would explain to us a different aspect of policing. It was obviously an attempt by the police to portray themselves in a more positive, human light, and it largely succeeded. However, I recall at least two nights (and possibly a third) when the presenting officer let slip that "My most important job is to home at night." The night of the class on weaponry I was the only person in the class who asked if their Bushmaster carbines are like the ones I can buy. Of course not -- the officer was happy to show me that theirs have "the switch."

I also noticed that every officer we saw in uniform was equipped with a taser. I know the academies around here make a big deal about teaching "command voice." That's what you call it when a "subject" doesn't immediately kow tow to comply with Officer Friendly's nonsensical order, and he/she simply repeats the nonsensical order in an ever-increasingly forceful voice. They declined to explain to us what the department's taser policy is, but I suspect they're getting tired of using "command voice" and just using "command voltage" instead.

I did get them to acknowledge that they use the SWAT team to serve warrants -- even routine warrants on persons not known to be armed or dangerous. They even told us they do that for our (the citizens') protection. I was proud of myself for not laughing out load.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 12:31:38 AM »
I just finished a 12-session Citizens Police Academy offered by the police department in the neighboring town. We met on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and each evening a different officer would explain to us a different aspect of policing. It was obviously an attempt by the police to portray themselves in a more positive, human light, and it largely succeeded. However, I recall at least two nights (and possibly a third) when the presenting officer let slip that "My most important job is to home at night." The night of the class on weaponry I was the only person in the class who asked if their Bushmaster carbines are like the ones I can buy. Of course not -- the officer was happy to show me that theirs have "the switch."

I also noticed that every officer we saw in uniform was equipped with a taser. I know the academies around here make a big deal about teaching "command voice." That's what you call it when a "subject" doesn't immediately kow tow to comply with Officer Friendly's nonsensical order, and he/she simply repeats the nonsensical order in an ever-increasingly forceful voice. They declined to explain to us what the department's taser policy is, but I suspect they're getting tired of using "command voice" and just using "command voltage" instead.

I did get them to acknowledge that they use the SWAT team to serve warrants -- even routine warrants on persons not known to be armed or dangerous. They even told us they do that for our (the citizens') protection. I was proud of myself for not laughing out load.

I know the type, see the "my job is to go home" every day. Here's s link that's interesting. Posted it a while ago, I figured it made way too much sense to ever really catch on.
http://news.yahoo.com/demilitarizing-cops-states-retool-police-training-143326227.html

Abraham Lincoln

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 12:46:04 AM »
I know the type, see the "my job is to go home" every day. Here's s link that's interesting. Posted it a while ago, I figured it made way too much sense to ever really catch on.
http://news.yahoo.com/demilitarizing-cops-states-retool-police-training-143326227.html

I read that a while back. Sounded good, even if the Obama insists on ruining it with his endorsement.*

*Reminiscent of Oprah putting her vacuous book club sticker on the venerable East of Eden, except that the cop school thing doesn't make me see a red wall of blood rage.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife