Author Topic: Teens Steal Imprecisely Designed Rifle  (Read 1142 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Teens Steal Imprecisely Designed Rifle
« on: August 12, 2019, 06:26:16 PM »
Dateline Tennessee, two teens (young men) decided they wanted the school resource officer's rifle (designed to fire imprecisely), an AR 15 so they broke into their former school and took it along with his body armor from his safe.

I am betting by safe they are talking a Stck On or a converted school locker. ;)

And then along comes the usual, I don't know why a gun like that is left unattended in a school. Well, it was in a safe!

But the unusual comment was from the Executive Director of the Safe Tennessee Project, a gun control group by any other name.

Beth Joslin Roth of the Safe Tennessee Project said she also wonders why an officer would have an AR-15 at school, given how imprecisely they are designed to fire.

If they are such an imprecise gun why the big hullabaloo about getting rid of them. What is the next gun is precise?!?!?!

I noticed that in a lot of the later articles related to this the statement attributed to Beth has been omitted.

I just have to hope my AR pistol build will be able to hit the broad side of a barn given the design flaws.

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Teens Steal Imprecisely Designed Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »
"Beth Joslin Roth of the Safe Tennessee Project said she also wonders why an officer would have an AR-15 at school, given how imprecisely they are designed to fire."

Oh, right.  The thing that goes up on the shoulder messes up your aim.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 06:35:54 PM »
"Beth Joslin Roth of the Safe Tennessee Project said she also wonders why an officer would have an AR-15 at school, given how imprecisely they are designed to fire."

She's obviously been reading my posts on the AR platform.

Now that I read it again, is she talking about the gun or the School Resource Officer? In some places they don't even fire, the SRO that is.

bob

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 07:11:01 PM »
Isn't that the gun that tumbles when you shoot it?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 07:20:36 PM »
And in a story about the Feds charging an accomplice in the Dayton shooting our local anchor-lady said "Among other charges he is being charged with possessing an illegal upper receiver."

If you have both an upper receiver and a lower receiver can you shoot twice as fast?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 07:50:32 PM »
If you have both an upper receiver and a lower receiver can you shoot twice as fast?

Only if it is illegal.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 08:55:22 PM »
The funny thing is if she'd said that about the other evil assault rifle, the AK, she'd have actually been sort of correct...  :rofl:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 08:57:32 PM »
I was thinking about an AR or AK that was full auto only.  For me I would call that fun.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 11:50:52 PM »
And in a story about the Feds charging an accomplice in the Dayton shooting our local anchor-lady said "Among other charges he is being charged with possessing an illegal upper receiver."

That business of calling the uppers "receivers" has always irked me.  Seems to this old coot well-experienced in the ways of anti-gunners and governments that this opens the door to requiring serialization of the uppers. With the attendant 4473 triggering. I don't know where or when it started, but I wish it would stop.  [tinfoil]

Terry, 230RN

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 11:52:27 PM »
 ???  "Imprecise? ? ?"   What, exactly is THAT?   I don't think I've ever heard any rifle called that, let alone a AR-15.  

MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 12:04:01 AM »
It might be that thing where they claim that because of the pistol grip the AR is meant to be fired from the hip. 

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 12:07:28 AM »
It might be that thing where they claim that because of the pistol grip the AR is meant to be fired from the hip.  

I have fired my M-1 carbine like that.  Why is it the antis have this "thing" about pistol grips?  Is it some fetish ... or... obsession or  something? ? ?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 12:22:10 AM »
I have fired my M-1 carbine like that.  Why is it the antis have this "thing" about pistol grips?  Is it some fetish ... or... obsession or  something? ? ?

Superficialities easily sold to an ignorant public. Plenty of people will like a gun better just because they think the assault rifle styling makes it more butch. Plenty are willing to have a moral panic for the same reason.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 12:40:07 AM »
That business of calling the uppers "receivers" has always irked me.  Seems to this old coot well-experienced in the ways of anti-gunners and governments that this opens the door to requiring serialization of the uppers. With the attendant 4473 triggering. I don't know where or when it started, but I wish it would stop.  [tinfoil]

Actually, it has been argued that the design of the AR-15 is such that the upper is more of a receiver than the lower, and some have proposed that it's the upper that should carry the serial number rather than the lower.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 03:51:47 AM »
Truth is, a non pistol grip rifle is more comfortable/easier to fire from the hip!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 05:42:00 AM »
Actually, it has been argued that the design of the AR-15 is such that the upper is more of a receiver than the lower, and some have proposed that it's the upper that should carry the serial number rather than the lower.

Obviously, those arguers are not "well-experienced in the ways of anti-gunners and governments" and should stop offering up more things for possible regulation.

There are  times we are our own worst enemies.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 09:52:48 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 10:58:15 AM »
Obviously, those arguers are not "well-experienced in the ways of anti-gunners and governments" and should stop offering up more things for possible regulation.

There are  times we are our own worst enemies.

Terry, 230RN

We will finally be safe when everything we can (theoretically) buy is serial-numbered, and requires 12 forms of ID, the endorsement of the local Communist Party Chairman, and a 44-year waiting period.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »
We will finally be safe when everything we can (theoretically) buy is serial-numbered, and requires 12 forms of ID, the endorsement of the local Communist Party Chairman, and a 44-year waiting period.

And the only firearms the Second Amendment guarantees are single shot bolt action rim fire shotguns in 22 gauge without the shoulder thingy that goes up.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 12:03:05 PM »
You guys forgot "biometrically tethered to the owner."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

griz

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 12:05:13 PM »
Children can be cute when they don't know what they're talking about.  Adults should know to keep they're mouths shut in the same circumstances.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 12:20:05 PM »
I think that's one of those guns that uses double barrel magazine extended clips
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 04:06:24 PM »
And the only firearms the Second Amendment guarantees are single shot bolt action rim fire shotguns in 22 gauge without the shoulder thingy that goes up.

To save folks the trouble, "22 gauge" equates to 0.596" diameter.

We know you're poking fun at clueless lawmakers... who would confuse .22 caliber with 22 gauge but would still write firearms laws based on false conceptions.

"28 gauge," a popular bore, is 0.550"  And .410 bore is 67.62 gauge.

Just to save you the trouble of looking them up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_(firearms)#Calculating_gauge

Scroll down for the ready-to-read chart.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:47:18 PM by 230RN »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 01:26:24 PM »

It looks phallic, something the left is obsessed with.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama