Author Topic: John McCain and Stand Your Ground  (Read 2928 times)

HankB

• friend
John McCain and Stand Your Ground
« on: July 22, 2013, 08:53:31 AM »
Saw on TV this morning that John McCain (R-AZ) agrees with Obama that "Stand Your Ground" laws ought to be reviewed, and he hopes AZ will take a look at theirs and reconsider it.

http://news.yahoo.com/mccain-backs-obama-s-call-for--stand-your-ground--review-153105503.html

Editorial Comment: <bleeping> <bleeping> <deity cursed> <bleeping> <backstabbing> <bleeping> RINO
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: John McCain and Stand Your Ground
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 08:58:02 AM »
why is "stand your ground" being criticized after the zimmerman trial?  unless i missed something, that was strictly a self defense ruling.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 09:20:52 AM »
why is "stand your ground" being criticized after the zimmerman trial?  unless i missed something, that was strictly a self defense ruling.

You are correct, but that isn't what the media is pushing as the narrative. Just a quick reminder of the narrative: racism, STYG, whites murdering blacks, STYG lets whites kill blacks, racists!, guns are evil, republicans are evil, creepy ass crackas are evil and racists, Obama has a son like Trayvon and he had such a positive future, guns are racist.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »
Saw on TV this morning that John McCain (R-AZ) agrees with Obama that "Stand Your Ground" laws ought to be reviewed, and he hopes AZ will take a look at theirs and reconsider it.

http://news.yahoo.com/mccain-backs-obama-s-call-for--stand-your-ground--review-153105503.html

Editorial Comment: <bleeping> <bleeping> <deity cursed> <bleeping> <backstabbing> <bleeping> RINO

Any clue why McCain lost?   :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:21:22 AM »
Any clue why McCain lost?   :facepalm:
Surprised nobody took the (R-AZ) tag following McCain's name in my OP and changed it to (R D-AZ) with a FIFY tag yet . . .

Editorial commentary continued: <bleeping> <equine excrement> <bleeping> RINO
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »
hopefully AZ voters need to review their choice next time around
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 12:38:23 PM »
The focus on stand you ground laws brings up an ironic twist.  Was it Martin or Zimmerman who was standing his ground?  I maintain it was neither.  Zimmerman was on the way back to the truck (retreating) and Martin decided to return and attack instead of walking home.  Would it have been that demeaning for him to have kept walking and just called 911? I'll admit I am looking at this from an old white guy perspective, but it can be a painful lesson when you try and pound respect into somebody and they turn out to have the means to fight back.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:03:50 PM »
SYG?  I believe it was Zimmerman who was PINNED TO THE GROUND. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 08:58:04 PM »
The focus on stand you ground laws brings up an ironic twist.  Was it Martin or Zimmerman who was standing his ground?  I maintain it was neither.  Zimmerman was on the way back to the truck (retreating) and Martin decided to return and attack instead of walking home.  Would it have been that demeaning for him to have kept walking and just called 911? I'll admit I am looking at this from an old white guy perspective, but it can be a painful lesson when you try and pound respect into somebody and they turn out to have the means to fight back.

I mostly agree with you. However, I don't think Martin was trying to pound respect into Zimmerman, I think Martin was trying to kill Zimmerman.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 04:25:15 AM »
Massad Ayoob on why Stand Your Ground laws are necessarry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irnD34P2l1w&feature=youtu.be&t=12m50s

(Warning: May cause RCOB syndrome. Do not watch if you have high blood pressure or a history of heart disease).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 07:19:53 AM »
I mostly agree with you. However, I don't think Martin was trying to pound respect into Zimmerman, I think Martin was trying to kill Zimmerman.
Doesn't matter.  Laws generally allow use of deadly force for the threat of death or serous bodily injury. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Levant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 11:00:07 PM »
McCain is not known for standing his ground in any aspect of his life.  He's a go-with-the-flow kind of guy. 
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

griz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 07:48:43 AM »
McCain is not known for standing his ground in any aspect of his life.  He's a go-with-the-flow kind of guy. 

I'm not a big fan of McCain as a politician either, but you might want to look in to his military service before you say there was no aspect of his life where he stood his ground.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 08:47:42 AM »
I'm not a big fan of McCain as a politician either, but you might want to look in to his military service before you say there was no aspect of his life where he stood his ground.
That he went into harm's way, was captured, and survived torture at the hands of the North Vietnamese hardly excuses his later actions - and surviving capativity isn't the same as SYG.

And war heroes DO go bad - both Benedict Arnold and the late Rep. Murtha come to mind. For that matter, even Timothy McVeigh earned decorations for his military service, and look how he turned out.

No, the time when McCain deserved a "pass" out of respect for his military service has long expired.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 10:17:39 AM »
Nobody said he gets a pass. You can honor a person's military service without making them a saint.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »
That he went into harm's way, was captured, and survived torture at the hands of the North Vietnamese hardly excuses his later actions - and surviving capativity isn't the same as SYG.

And war heroes DO go bad - both Benedict Arnold and the late Rep. Murtha come to mind. For that matter, even Timothy McVeigh earned decorations for his military service, and look how he turned out.

No, the time when McCain deserved a "pass" out of respect for his military service has long expired.

Well, the topic is stand your ground.  In 1968 he was a POW.  His captors realized his father was an admiral, and offered McCain release, presumably for propaganda purposes.  He refused, citing the fact that they had not released prisoners who were there before he was.  Is that not an example of standing his ground?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 11:46:14 AM »
I think the focus should be on John McCain the politician of the last 20+ years, not the distinguished serviceman.

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 12:00:15 PM »
I agree that he hasn't been a respectable candidate for a long time.  I was responding to "McCain is not known for standing his ground in any aspect of his life."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
I think the focus should be on John McCain the politician of the last 20+ years, not the distinguished serviceman.

Pretty much two different people at this point.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 12:43:27 PM »
Well, the topic is stand your ground.  In 1968 he was a POW.  His captors realized his father was an admiral, and offered McCain release, presumably for propaganda purposes.  He refused, citing the fact that they had not released prisoners who were there before he was.  Is that not an example of standing his ground?

It was an honorable act but it was not SYG.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »
hopefully AZ voters need to review their choice next time around

McCain said he's not running again.

We're likely to have Jon Kyl as our senior senator, and probably Jeff Flake as our junior senator.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Levant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 10:00:33 PM »
John McCain's military behavior has been called into question many times. 

But I was referring to the family that he dumped for money, power, beer, and boobs, and his turncoat behavior against the Republicans, conservatism, gun rights, and just about anything else.

John McCain is a man without honor who will sell your soul for his own gain.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party