Author Topic: When you lose the New York Times...  (Read 2069 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
When you lose the New York Times...
« on: July 27, 2022, 11:45:34 AM »
you know your Democratic presidency is finished.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/failing-president-biden-must-announce-wont-run-re-election-new-york-times-column

There is that. I'm enjoying a lot of my friends who were virulently anti-Trump getting just... what... they... voted... for.

Change.

Lots of change.

None of it being good change.

And not a lot of change in their pockets.

But, of course, that's someone else's fault because the drooling fool and his lackey brigade are faultless.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 05:40:25 PM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
Re: When you lose the New York Times...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 12:07:32 PM »
Frankly, I am kind of enjoying the Biden presidency.  It is nice to have most people sharing my political opinion (that Biden is horrible.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 12:11:57 PM »
If we were going into the Democrat Primary, would be Biden still be the favorite to win?  Would there be any other Democrats that might do better?  Or better than the last batch that ran?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 02:29:51 PM »
I cannot believe that Biden will run again.  Unfortunately.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 05:15:17 PM »
Mayor Butt is the lead man? now. Maybe a Butt Newsome ticket.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 06:00:41 PM »
I cannot believe that Biden will run again.  Unfortunately.
What other Democrats would be willing to run against him that are better?  I don't see anyone out there that isn't just as bad as Kamala, Beto, and Buttigieg(sp?).  Maybe that is why Newsom was looking at running for President.  He sucks, but Democrat voters might love him compared to Biden.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 12:29:40 AM »
Who else is on the bench?  Buttegeige (sp??), Newsom, Stacy Abrams, Harris?  That’s thin, and the “best” is Newsom who only survived recall in CA because they were able to paint Larry Elder as a black Trump.

Mayor Pete has only been a mayor (and a poor one) for mid-size town in fly over country.  Oh and supposedly is Transportation Secretary, though nobody is quite sure what he actually does there.

Abrams is a failed candidate for governor of Georgia, and a caricature only desirable to those who regularly watch The View.

Harris, as noted in other threads, is despised even by most Dems.

Are they going to try to resurrect the garbasstic granny killing Coumo somehow?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 04:18:05 AM »
If you have to really think about it, you might commit suicide by shooting yourself in the head several times, then jumping off a tall building with a noose, after taking way too many sleeping pills...
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 06:21:28 AM »
Who else is on the bench?  Buttegeige (sp??), Newsom, Stacy Abrams, Harris?  That’s thin, and the “best” is Newsom who only survived recall in CA because they were able to paint Larry Elder as a black Trump.

Mayor Pete has only been a mayor (and a poor one) for mid-size town in fly over country.  Oh and supposedly is Transportation Secretary, though nobody is quite sure what he actually does there.

Abrams is a failed candidate for governor of Georgia, and a caricature only desirable to those who regularly watch The View.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 07:55:03 AM »

Newsom and Pete (I'm tired of trying to remember how to spell his last name) for sure. I can see them really try to push Abrams, since they could saturate a persona for her through the MSM and celebrities (she's already emperor of the galaxy). I agree that Harris has soured potential supporters with her doing the opposite of "better to remain silent..."

I'm kinda wondering if they will pull an Obama and pull a young nobody out of nowhere who checks the right diversity boxes sometime in 2023.

I'm wondering what the Rs will do as well. Really, besides DeSantis, at this time I see no one making noises of running that I would vote for other than, "better than Hillary winning".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2022, 08:10:44 AM »

Sooo, just as good as 2020.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2022, 08:43:42 AM »

Political Polls
@Politics_Polls
2024 New Hampshire Democratic Primary:

Buttigieg 17%
Biden 16%
Warren 10%
Newsom 10%
Klobuchar 9%
Sanders 8%
Harris 6%
Ocasio-Cortez 5%
Clinton 3%
Abrams 3%
Booker 2%

@UNHSurveyCenter,
https://scholars.unh.edu/cgi/viewconten
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2022/07/26/new-poll-shows-biden-losing-to-buttigieg-in-new-hampshire/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 09:12:21 AM »
Newsom and Pete (I'm tired of trying to remember how to spell his last name) for sure. I can see them really try to push Abrams, since they could saturate a persona for her through the MSM and celebrities (she's already emperor of the galaxy). I agree that Harris has soured potential supporters with her doing the opposite of "better to remain silent..."

I'm kinda wondering if they will pull an Obama and pull a young nobody out of nowhere who checks the right diversity boxes sometime in 2023.

I'm wondering what the Rs will do as well. Really, besides DeSantis, at this time I see no one making noises of running that I would vote for other than, "better than Hillary winning".
On the R side, there are Congresswomen like Margorie Taylor Green and Bobert.  There are others, but most are young or new.  I was thinking there are other R governors, but maybe just not well known.  Governors normally make better candidates.  In a different time, Gov Abbott might be a good choice, but I get the impression he isn't really leading the wave, just trying to keep up.  DeSantis is probably the best executive who shows the ability to buck against media pressure. 

I have liked Ted Cruz, but I a number of people don't seem to like him.  I am sure there are establishment R's who see themselves as good candidates, but I don't keep up with them.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 10:53:48 AM »
My current favorite is DeSantis with Abbott a close second. I don't really dislike Cruz but I still can't shake the Nehemiah Scudder vibes I was getting from him in 2016.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 11:06:04 AM »
I think that there are a lot of people in the upper level of both parties playing "wait and see," watching to see what Biden and Trump do.  If Biden decides to not run again, the Dem flood gates will open up and everyone will jump in the game forming exploratory committees...Pete, Kamala, AOC, and all the others who are in the press all the time, and those that ran last time, will jump in the race.  On the R side, everyone is watching Trump.  He throws his hat in the ring, and a lot of R candidates will stay out.  It will cost too much to campaign against him.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2022, 11:55:26 AM »
My current favorite is DeSantis with Abbott a close second. I don't really dislike Cruz but I still can't shake the Nehemiah Scudder vibes I was getting from him in 2016.
In 2016, I think Ted Cruz had his campaign and all his plans lined up to go against Jeb Bush who was the front runner.  Without Trump, it would have been a different race.  Once Trump got in, it changed the entire landscape.  Jeb Bush's support fell off a cliff and Cruz was playing a catch-up which he never did.  I doubt Cruz could have drawn out the Trump voters needed to overcome the electioneering system that Hilary had set up. 

Going forward to today, I doubt Cruz would get the national voter support needed to win.  I don't know if Abbott would do that either, or how he would react to the constant attacks by the national media outlets. 

That said, if Trump runs, he needs to think about his main campaign message and talking points.  He can't just continue the same talking points from January 2020.   

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2022, 12:22:46 PM »
In 2016, I think Ted Cruz had his campaign and all his plans lined up to go against Jeb Bush who was the front runner.  Without Trump, it would have been a different race.  Once Trump got in, it changed the entire landscape.  Jeb Bush's support fell off a cliff and Cruz was playing a catch-up which he never did.  I doubt Cruz could have drawn out the Trump voters needed to overcome the electioneering system that Hilary had set up. 

I was more in favor of Cruz than I was of Trump during the primaries. Once Trump got the nomination I somewhat reluctantly voted for him but was later glad that I did. Twitter and Junior High antics aside, he did some tremendous things for our country, and I'm not sure Cruz could have pulled some of that off.

I think Cruz would have to play "catch up" again if DeSantis runs. DeSantis just seems to have a tremendous momentum with the conservative base at this point.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2022, 01:47:11 PM »
I was more in favor of Cruz than I was of Trump during the primaries. Once Trump got the nomination I somewhat reluctantly voted for him but was later glad that I did. Twitter and Junior High antics aside, he did some tremendous things for our country, and I'm not sure Cruz could have pulled some of that off.

I think Cruz would have to play "catch up" again if DeSantis runs. DeSantis just seems to have a tremendous momentum with the conservative base at this point.

Pretty much my view, except I didn’t vote for Trump in 2016 (basically voted none of the above).

DeathSantis is my #1 pick.  I think he’s got all the fight of Trump without the junior high antics.  I liked Cruz until 2016.  He tried playing both sides too much and turned into a bit of a used car salesman.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 01:51:04 PM »

Obama was a fluke. He got lucky. Clinton's PR machine primed the population for a reform candidate, but they were sorta vague about that - mostly "anyone but Bush" and all that... Then someone in Obama's group took the same concept, dumbed it down to "Change," and it took...

I wonder where they buried the intern who they sent into tell Clinton that her election strategy had been stolen.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2022, 01:18:50 PM »
This is an article by a Never-Trumper, lecturing starry-eyed people who think they can somehow pull off a third party.

https://www.thebulwark.com/so-you-want-to-start-a-third-party/

The bad news (for them) is that their party has to appeal to Trump voters, to actually succeed as a political party. The funny part is that he keeps saying that, and knowing they just won't accept it.  =D

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2022, 02:55:53 PM »
The only way a new party can come to power is if an existing one implodes.  The Whig party died out and was replaced by the Republicans.  There were some other parties that vied for influence as the Whigs died out, and before the Republicans cemented their position, but outside of such transition periods, since the founding there have only ever been 2 significant parties at any point in time.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2022, 04:09:58 PM »
The only way a new party can come to power is if an existing one implodes.  The Whig party died out and was replaced by the Republicans.  There were some other parties that vied for influence as the Whigs died out, and before the Republicans cemented their position, but outside of such transition periods, since the founding there have only ever been 2 significant parties at any point in time.

Are you saying the Anti-Masonic Party was insignificant? How dare you, sir?!