Author Topic: Screwtape Letters Quote on Liberty and the Cult of the State  (Read 1362 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Here you go.  (I read TSL years back, but had forgotten this passage):
http://liberalfascism.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MmYxZDkyMWYzMzg5NGYzNzVjNzkwZGE0MTA2ZTNhZmQ=

Hidden in the heart of this striving for Liberty there was also a deep hatred of personal freedom. That invaluable man Rousseau first revealed it. In his perfect democracy, only the state religion is permitted, slavery is restored, and the individual is told that he has really willed (though he didn't know it) whatever the Government tells him to do. From that starting point, via Hegel (another indispensable propagandist on our side), we easily contrived both the Nazi and the Communist state. Even in England we were pretty successful. I heard the other day that in that country a man could not, without a permit, cut down his own tree with his own axe, make it into planks with his own saw, and use the planks to build a toolshed in his own garden.

- C.S. Lewis, Screwtape Letters

"...the interconnectedness of Rousseauean ideology, the horrors of the twentieth century, and the modern nanny state, I thought Id share it with you."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cosine

• Administrator
Re: Screwtape Letters Quote on Liberty and the Cult of the State
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 04:11:32 PM »
The Screwtape Letters is an excellent book.

It's been a while since I read it though, so I had forgotten about that quote.
Andy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 05:30:13 PM »
I heard the other day that in that country a man could not, without a permit, cut down his own tree with his own axe

That would be Colorado - at least certain counties Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 07:55:51 PM »
jfru, you might have clarified that the Screwtape Letters were written from the vantage point of a demon.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »
I heard the other day that in that country a man could not, without a permit, cut down his own tree with his own axe

That would be Colorado - at least certain counties Sad
Well, didn't say nothing about chainsaws or detcord! grin