Author Topic: Reading Habits  (Read 1257 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Reading Habits
« on: August 05, 2008, 06:45:10 AM »
I was taught to read in the traditional way at the traditional time.  But, I didn't really take off as a "reader" until ~ the 7th grade.  I started off reading exclusively scifi/fantasy, then spread out and finished most of Stephen King's works in the 8th grade and went into all sorts of fiction & non-fiction after that.  I would carry a paperback to school to read for the times I had finished my work but was not allowed to talk.  I would read everything, serially, until completion.  No matter how droll.  I could not NOT finish a book, even trash.

My habits were omnivorous, voracious, and voluminous and stayed that way for years through high school, college, the US Army, and civilian life, until I got married.

Nowadays, I usually have a half-dozen books, magazines, tech pubs, etc. in process at the same time.    What I read seems, to a large extent, based on my location.  At work, I keep tech pubs handy (O'Reilly's, .mil TMs, etc.).  At home, I have different materials near the throne, in the living room, in the kitchen, and outside.  I have other materials in the two vehicles I regularly drive.

Still omnivorous, but not quite as voluminous and much more skewed toward non-fiction would describe the content of my reading.

It also takes me ten times as long to finish a particular work, given the division of my attention and the less time devoted to a particular work.  I tend to think about the books more while in the process of reading them.

I guess I wonder how others read and if it has changed with their circumstances. If I were to begin as a "reader" today, I despair to think how long it would take me to consume all the works I consider foundational.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Reading Habits
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:57:52 AM »
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you except I don't keep books stashed about.  I've been on a James Rollins kick lately and have read about 2/3 of his work in the past 2 months.  I bought his book, The Judas Strain Friday and finished it Sunday afternoon.

Chris

Iain

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 06:58:37 AM »
I read everything I could as a kid, and most of it was terrible. Went through a phase around 16-19 when I read those books that everyone seems to think they should have read, and did enjoy some of them, but found others such a slog that my reading slowed significantly, Proust was largely to blame, I made it through two of them.

Last few years I've been through periods of concentrated novel reading (read a lot of Saul Bellow during one of these) or non-fiction but rarely seem to be reading both at the same time.

Recently devoured all the Covenant chronicles (got about 200 pages in the newest one to go) as a way of getting back into reading. Just now picked up three books on rugby, one is a manual the other two are autobiographies/I suspect screeds about the state of English rugby.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 07:32:41 AM »
i had trouble learning to read. in third grade they put me in a special reading class and things just took off from there.
in elementary school i stuck to historical fiction (mostly kids stuff, but i did get my hands on stuff much too old for me), but by the end of 5th grade i had read mcCafferys Harper series, and spent most of middle school reading her stuff, and at the end of eighth grade i discovered mercades lackey. by tenth grade i was running out of sci-fi that i liked and needed bulk reading material, so i started reading romance novels.

i have a tendancy to stick to writers that i know i like and i don't like buy new ones without testing them out. this becomes difficult, considering i can't show my face at the local public libary (i swear, they got all their books back.... eventually)

funny enough, in sixth grade, my math teacher had to tell my mom "i really hate to have to complain about this, but can you get liz to stop reading her books during my class?". there was also the time my mom got into it at a PTA meeting with some uber-mommy maintaining that kids shouldn't read anything that the parents hadn't read and approved off.... *chuckle* mostly 'cause my mom couldn't keep up with me.
 laugh
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 07:55:21 AM »
My reading style/history is a mirror to jfruser's.
Swap out the technical manuals for a mixed bag of paperbacks & it's pretty close.
I really should build some shelves.I might be able to walk up my stairs easier. smiley

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 08:12:52 AM »
i have a tendancy to stick to writers that i know i like and i don't like buy new ones without testing them out.

Very similar feeling, here.  I don't have time to read turds.

Replace, "i don't like buy new ones without testing them out" with, "I'll only take a chance if I can buy it used at half price" and you'll have an idea of my attitude.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton