Author Topic: Lethal Weapon (and other bad movies I used to like)  (Read 1286 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Lethal Weapon (and other bad movies I used to like)
« on: August 23, 2008, 08:44:43 AM »
I saw the original LW the other day and was amazed at how poorly it has aged.

There is Mel, doing his "shoot a smiley face on the target" trick.  Thing was, his eyes were firmly SHUT for every trigger pull.

Then the numerous "Expendable Bad Guys" with full auto weapons and their tactic of standing in the middle of the road, firing from the hip with full auto.  And can't hit anything while the protagonists hit everything they aim at, with the sole exception of fleeing helos at 500m with a Beretta 92FS 9mm.  The only BG that can hit anything is the Gary Busey character who can hit a man at a few hundred yards from a helo.

And, of course, the bad guys are all Viet Nam sooper-troopers gone bad.

I fear to go back and watch the othe raction movies form the 1980s I thought were pretty good.  I suspect the, too, are just crap like LW.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Lethal Weapon (and other bad movies I used to like)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:46:50 AM »
if you wanna set a new bad benchmark find "7 the hard way"  or "brotherhood of death"
"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:48:52 AM »
Agreed.  It really is a stupid movie when you think about it.  Even for a "turn off your brain" type action flick.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:51:18 AM »
I won't even go into the silly plot, especially the last fight scene between Mel & Busey. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
Predator was on last night.

Do yourself a favor.

Don't watch it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 12:20:49 PM »
Predator was on last night.

Do yourself a favor.

Don't watch it.
grin

I hadn't seen Predator in a long time, so I remembered it as a good sci-fi / action movie.  Then one day, in the not-so-distant past, it was on TV, and I could barely stand to watch ten minutes of it.  Did you notice the completely ineffective face paint on the soldiers?

How about old Arnie here.  Obviously the point was to show off his physique, but come on!  rolleyes  I've never been in the military, and I know that proper woodland camo requires flesh tones to be completely obscured:

Those may seem like relatively minor F-ups, but they ruin a movie for me.  Even in the most outlandish sci-fi, there are some things that should be believable.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 02:54:20 PM »
I re-watched "The Delta Force" on TV the other day....at one time, it was my favorite movie.....then, at one time, I was twelve years old.....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 05:40:50 PM »
I liked the first Lethal Weapon.  There was a fine edge to it, because you couldn't be sure if Mel Gibson's character was going to do himself in.  The following LW movies were just buddy movies, they didn't have that edge whatsoever.

Now I can't stand to watch any of them because of Danny Glover's anti-gun positions.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 07:06:24 PM »
Don't forget that the Dems used those movies as "evidence" regarding "cop killer" bullets, after they fired teflon-coated black talons through a bulldozer's blade.  rolleyes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 05:08:57 AM »
Don't forget the scene where the guy shot a bullet through a barrel and then through the young kid cop.  Barrels are such great backstops aren't they?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 01:39:32 AM »
I re-watched "The Delta Force" on TV the other day....at one time, it was my favorite movie.....then, at one time, I was twelve years old.....  rolleyes

Saw "American Ninja" on VS. yesterday.....made "The Delta Force" look like an Oscar winner....boy, my tastes have changed.....  cheesy
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.