Author Topic: Muslim Congressman Won't Use Koran When Taking Oath of Office  (Read 2832 times)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Re: Muslim Congressman Won't Use Koran When Taking Oath of Office
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 02:12:04 AM »
No books of ancient mythology used.
Nor Bibles.

In the dictionary under "redundant" it says "see: redundant."
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 03:03:11 AM »
At that time I think there were a lot of people feeling a little medieval.

It looks "medieval" on the surface, but she really doesn't suggest anything untoward.  "Invade their countries and kill their leaders"?  That's pretty much what we've done in Afghanistan and Iraq.  That's just warfare.  "Convert them to Christianity"?  American churches have been sending out missionaries for a long time, now, why not to the Muslim world?  Now if you assume the killing and converting are to be done by the same folks, yeah, then it might sound "medieval." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

LAK

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2006, 03:19:55 AM »
What fistful said.

-------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2006, 05:21:02 AM »
It's obvious from the aformentioned quote that Ann has as much understanding of ME culture and politics as a shoe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2006, 07:13:51 AM »
My shoes have been against the Iraq war from the beginning, and firmly supported a Palestinian state.   undecided
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2006, 01:32:30 PM »
It's obvious from the aformentioned quote that Ann has as much understanding of ME culture and politics as a shoe.

I think the ME better start getting a better grasp of middle America. Another 9/11 and you will see the people calling for a Crusade. (again)

The Bush administration is a victim of its own success.

The country once again has been shamed into acting guilty because of our success. We stomped all over two countries in the ME. We one the Iraq war in record time. No stateside attacks since the big one.

The problem is the medieval tribes over there (Iraq) just cannot get into the 21st century.

The bad intel wasn't so much about WMDs as it was on whether these bedouins could actually run a modern state.

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2006, 01:57:13 PM »
The problem is we opened up a civil war that had been held back for several decades by a brutal dictatorship.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not glorifying the ME culture or poo-pooing ours. I'm saying simplistic, reactionist statements like "Kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity" add more fodder for their sheikhs and imams to use against us.

If I were a gambling man I would put down a large sum that Ann's statement has been used as proof we are on a Neo-Crusade.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2006, 02:11:34 PM »
The problem is we opened up a civil war that had been held back for several decades by a brutal dictatorship.

Like the fall of Sov's finally led to the civil war and dissolution of Yugoslavia?  Like the removal of the Brit's led to the partitioning of India and Pakistan?

Not challenging you, that statement just started a chain of thought.  Tyranny is removed and civil wars occur. 

Freedom from tyranny can bring negative results.

I guess if people choose civil war, they are at least free to choose it.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."