Author Topic: If one has a small inkling join the military...  (Read 1830 times)

cosine

• Administrator
If one has a small inkling join the military...
« on: December 13, 2006, 05:49:46 PM »
does it make any sense to do so after one has attended the university?

Every so often the idea of the military pops into my mind. It's something I think I might want to do, to serve my country and all, but I really want to get my degree first. What's the idea on that course of action?

As for branch, I think I'd probably like the Air Force. Maybe join the ROTC in college.

If one would have a degree in a field such as electrical engineering, if one would join the ROTC in college, and after getting one's bachelor's would join a branch of the military such as the Air Force, would it be possible to work towards a master's while part of the military? Does the military provide for any way of doing something like that?

What could one do in the Air Force with a degree in something like electrical engineering?

Just disjointedly thinking out loud here. Your thoughts?  smiley
Andy

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: If one has a small inkling join the military...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 06:06:25 PM »
Yes you can work toward a Master's as an officer.  I got no details.

I went into the Marine's with 3 years of college, didn't do any harm.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 06:09:55 PM »
At least one of my fellow Seabee is an electrical engineer. His rating is Construction Electrician.

He owns his own company. He invented a piece of machinery that chews up ICs and reclaims the precious metals, and his company sells them to companies like Motorola and Intel. He's worth quite a few million dollars.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 06:11:12 PM »
Stay in long enough as an officer and they will pay for your Master's.  I don't think it's 100% but they will pay for a good part of your schooling.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »
I can't answer your questions about the military.  But since you say you're studying electrical engineering, do you mind my asking what particular subdiscipline you're interested in?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 06:18:49 PM »
You'll want to sign up for ROTC before going to college.  At least, I think that's the usual course of action.  Or at least check that the school you will attend has a ROTC program. 

If you're going Air Force, electrical engineering should have broad applicability.  Ya know, planes and radar and all that. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 06:19:45 PM »
But since you say you're studying electrical engineering, do you mind my asking what particular subdiscipline you're interested in?

Working this year, so not in college yet, not studying yet. Will be next year. Haven't made up my mind as to particular subdiscipline most interested in.

Just decided to post this thread to verbalize some long-term ideas floating around in my mind.
Andy

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 02:33:06 AM »
As for branch, I think I'd probably like the Air Force.
See how good that recruiting picture works.   laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

client32

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 04:22:30 AM »
I'm glad you asked.

I've been interested in joining after a degree as well.  I have been looking at the Air Force as well.  I keep wishing I had done it straight from college the first time before kids starting showing up.  Now I have a Masters degree, sure would have been nice if I could have gotten any help with that.

My reasoning for Air Force is all the articles and papers we read through my masters program that were military came from the Air Force.

So to expand the question, what if you already have a masters degree?
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 04:40:29 AM »
I'm glad you asked.

I've been interested in joining after a degree as well.  I have been looking at the Air Force as well.  I keep wishing I had done it straight from college the first time before kids starting showing up.  Now I have a Masters degree, sure would have been nice if I could have gotten any help with that.

My reasoning for Air Force is all the articles and papers we read through my masters program that were military came from the Air Force.

So to expand the question, what if you already have a masters degree?

I'm assuming any branch (Marines) would take you as an Officer (Marine). 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 05:09:32 AM »
If one has a small inkling join the military...
A small inkling is really not enough.  You'd better have a large inkling and a commitment to see things through before you sign anything.  If you're not sure, then disregard my advice about going ROTC before college.  Put it off until you know that's what you want to do. 

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 05:26:13 AM »
As for branch, I think I'd probably like the Air Force.
See how good that recruiting picture works.   laugh

I was waiting for you to say that.  grin

Andy

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 05:29:04 AM »
If you look at the resumes of most of the Generals in the military, you'll see that they all have advanced degrees.  Master's degrees and PhD's.  The problem with having the military pay for or subsidize your schooling is that you need to be there for a while.  You typically have to be a Captain before they send you for your Master's and (I think) a Lt. Col. for a PhD.  Now, this is just what I gathered from working in a Brigade headquarters as the Brigade Commander's driver but I'd say it's pretty accurate.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 05:35:01 AM »
Although I am not an expert, I participate frequently in some distance learning forums.  The subject of higher education while on active duty comes up frequently there.  As you probably know, the Air Force can be pretty selective these days in granting commissions, and I am told that you pretty much have to have a technical or scientific degree to get one these days.  EE probably qualifies, but if you are set on entering the AF as an officer, you may want to ask a recruiter about this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 05:38:10 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.

I was just thinking out loud here. I'm nowhere near making up my mind one way or another, I've got to think about for a while yet and go talk to some people eventually.
Andy

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 06:32:57 AM »
IMO you can do yourself a great deal of good by a stint in any branch of the military. The side benefits of paid college tuition are a nice bonus.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 09:00:52 AM »
Alright.  Here's my story.  I joined the Army after getting my Bachelor's degree (two, actually) as an enlisted soldier.  I'm currently working on putting together a packet to go to OCS and get commissioned. 

A few thoughts.

1.  On a degree
Get your degree first.  You are obviously headed that direction anyway, but go with it.  Get your degree.  Don't count on the military to take care of you.

2.  On ROTC
One of my buddies here did three years of (Army) ROTC.  It's pretty basic.  You take Millitary Science classes along with your other classes.  Your first two years carry no obiligation.  As a junior, you have to start getting serious about it.  There are summer training camps and other stuff.  Eventually, you will have to commit to commissioning.  If you take no money, I think you can change your mind at the last minute.  If you get an ROTC scholarship (useful), you are usually obligated to either pay the money back or serve as an enlisted solider.  I'm not sure which.  Find out if your college offers Air Force ROTC, track down their information, and contact someone in the ROTC department.  They can give you more information.

3.  On electrical engineering
I don't know too much about the Air Force.  But I know they place a lot of weight on technical degees.  I thought I read somewhere that to become an officer you either MUST have a techinical degree (math, physics, engineering, computer science, etc) or if you don't have a technical degree you are kind of at a disadvantage.  Research that more because I don't know anything more than that.

4.  On a Master's degree
Yeah, the military pays for some graduate degrees.  But it is usually something that is advantageous to them.  For example, if you will go teach at a service academy or are serving in a very technical job.  If you are a finance officer, they aren't going to send you to get your Master's in EE on the military's dime.  Also, there is usually at least a one-to-one service obligation for schooling (i.e. two years obligates you to two years of service).  Dannyboy made a good point that you will also probably have to have a few years time in service and be promoted a few ranks before they military is willing to invest in you.

5.  Other thoughts
It would not be a bad idea to be an officer.  You will be taught more and expected to take more responsibility, you will be paid better, you will be treated like an adult, and I think it is generally a more beneficial experience.  Esp over a shorter term.  If you stay in 20 years, things even out, but I think it is in all ways better to do three years and come out a lieutenant than as an E-4 (give or take).  I am probably going to piss off some of the senior NCOs that I know frequent this board, but that's the way I feel.

Like fistful said, be sure you want to do it.  The Air Force has less responsibility over here than say, the Army, but you may be deployed to Iraq or Afganistan.  You may be stationed somewhere you don't like.  You may be stuck working long hours.  You may have to work for an idiot.  But you can't tell them that because that's UCMJ. 

There is a lot to be said for being in the military.  As much as I hate the Army, I've learned a lot, it will benefit me a lot, and I would always have wondered "what if?" if I hadn't joined up.  But be ready for what you will have to deal with and be prepared to stick with it.

Final thought.  Check out this website.  I found it very useful when looking at the Army.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 09:55:31 AM »
Thanks for the helpful post, Phantom.

My dad thinks if I want to do join the military I should try to get in as a officer. He thinks I'm smart enough to be a pilot in the Air Force, but there's no way I'm am.  grin Plus, I have the reflexes of a snail and would probably crack up a even a slow plane like the C-130.  laugh So, no matter what my dad thinks I'm not really interested in being a pilot. If I would join the military I'm pretty much willing to give my service in whatever they would need me to do. I would, however, prefer to get in as an officer or at least become commissioned very soon after joining up.

Andy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 10:01:19 AM »
Cosine, you bright young whipper-snapper, I like you.  Smiley  Even if you DO become an officer, and even in the Air Force, I will try to like you anyway.  Tongue

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 10:44:44 AM »
The Air Force is scaling back, while increasing deployments, part of the Air Expeditionary Force doctrine where bases overseas are closed but the mission continues with the same personnel demands.  Expect another Reduction In Force cycle, and company grade officers are particularly susceptible to those actions.  We called it "Last Hired, First Fired".  Other things the Air Force may do is pass one over for promotion to Major or Lt. Col, and while they say they're not discriminating against certain career fields, ask the Navigators about it. 

If you go simply to get an education paid for, be aware that the Air Force doesn't do it for free.  Depending on the type of graduate degree you're looking for, there's an exchange rate.  Spend a year in school, and you may indeed owe the Air Force 3 years in service committment time to pay for it.  I have a young captain friend who the Air Force sent off to get her PhD in biochemistry, and she owes the Air Force quite a bit in service committment.

Also, as the Air Force is trying to streamline their forces to better fit the AEF concept, it has taken a hard look at officers who spend years or more on duty getting advanced degrees vs. doing their day-to-day jobs.  One result of this scrutiny is that post-graduate enrollment of officers has scaled back somewhat, and those officers who do take the Air Force nickel to get advanced degrees, in addition to the extra service committment, may not get the best assignments, or garner the best Officer Effectiveness Reports, as well as the commander's all-important Promotion Recommendation Form, with the "Promote", "Definitely Promote", and "Do Not Promote This Board". If you're not getting the highly-coveted "DP", you'd best be served looking for a civilian job in the next year or two... 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bergeron

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 06:25:57 PM »
Well, I'm taking Air Force ROTC right now.  I'm studying for a Ph.D., and this is my second quarter (we do quarters, not semesters).  I would encourage you to try ROTC if you're unsure if you'd like a military career.

First off, the branch of the military offered by an ROTC program will vary by university.  Some universities will have multiple branches available, but most that I know of only offer one.  If you're really set on the Air Force, try to attend a university that offers AFROTC, or a univeristy that has a cross-town affliation with AFROTC at a nearby institution.

As was stated earlier, no commitment need be made until the end of your second year, as long as you do not sign a contract/scholarship.  At the end of your second year, you attend summer training, and agree to commision.  The first two years you can see how you like the environment.  There will be minimum 2 a week 6 am PT sessions, a lecture class, and once a week leadership lab.  You will be wearing a uniform during at least some of these activities, and may be required to meet military height/weight and PT standards, even if you are not commited to commisioning.

ROTC takes cadets with many degrees, and you are not required to have a technical major to enroll.  However, some jobs either require technical degrees or give preference to those with technical degrees.  Electrical Engineering is a sought after degree for the Air Force.

As far as graduate degrees are concerned, there are two general options while you are active duty.  Firstly, you can apply to the Air Force Institute of Technology and Science, a very competetive program, or you can tution assistance from the Air Force to study for a graduate degree in your spare time.  I'm not aware if extra commitment is required, but I would not be suprised if it was. 

In short, I would encourage you to give it a try.  You get two years to see if it's right for you, without incurring any commitment.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 09:27:57 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Bergeron. With the information you gave, it looks like the ROTC may be something I want to try.
Andy