Author Topic: Army basic training. What to expect?  (Read 2154 times)

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Army basic training. What to expect?
« on: June 17, 2005, 08:45:01 PM »
Tuesday I ship out for Ft. Benning, GA.  I'll be there for the Infantry training; 13 weeks and 3 days, plus however long I'm in the Reception Battalion.

I know there are some active duty Army guys on this board and many retired ones.  Can anyone tell me what to expect?  I know I'll be doing "Basic Rifle Marksmanship" and "Advanced Rifle Marksmanship."  What is the difference betweent the two?  Also, will I be qualifying with anything besides an M16?  Will I be shooting anything besides an M16?  

What kind of physical training will I be doing?  I'm in fairly decent shape.  I can run well and situps are no problem.  But I'm not particularly brawny (5'11" and 150 lbs), so I'm wondering about pushups and just the general physical requirements (marching, carrying rucksacks, etc).  

Any advice would be appreciated.  (General advice too, not just the questions I mentioned.)

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 10:19:54 PM »
Congratulations. You are about to grow up and change your present outlook on life.
You are going to learn things about yourself that you never knew.
You are going to perform physically and mentally beyond limits you've never imagined.
You are going to form bonds with strangers that will last a lifetime.
Screw your head on straight, keep your mouth shut and your ears open.
Do what you're told and put 110% effort into everything you do.
Think about what you are doing and pay attention to detail.
Don't do anything to bring unwanted attention to yourself.
When it's all over, you are going to have a level of pride and confidence about yourself you never thought possible.
As for for PT, marksmanship and the rest of the training activities, they're nothing but steps in the total process. Just concentrate on getting through each day.

Steve

US Army Military Police Corps  1983-1991
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 02:33:03 AM »
Thank you, PW, for your service!
Ah, PT. Lots of running, sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, ball busters (don't worry, you'll live) and anything else they may wish to throw at you.  In Basic you will likely qualify only with the M16. If you go Infantry AIT, then you'll get some variety in weaponry (the fun stuff).
Stay under the radar and do everything you're told (attitudes do not gain you anything) and all will go smoothly.

Good luck.
Gary

US Army Intelligence and Security Command 1974-1978

Greg L

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 02:58:52 AM »
Remember that the Drill Instructor's job is to tear all of you down as individuals & remold you into a cohesive team.  As such there are a LOT of mental games that go on.  Just keep reminding yourself that they aren't allowed to kill you & that you will make it through Cheesy .  Play the game by their rules & you will do fine.

A piece of panty hose does an incredible job putting the final buff/polish on a pair of boots.  However taking an entire pair may get you looked at funny :eek: so just take the thigh area from one of them Cheesy .

At the time you will hate some things but later on you will look back at them with pride as many/most people you meet later in life have never done such things (gas chamber/assault course/long all night road marches/etc).  Look for the fun in whatever you will be doing, humor will take you a long way mentally.

Good luck & thanks.

Greg
REMF 86-96 Cheesy

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 07:27:49 AM »
Quote from: Phantom Warrior
Tuesday I ship out for Ft. Benning, GA.  I'll be there for the Infantry training; 13 weeks and 3 days, plus however long I'm in the Reception Battalion.
No offense, mano, but you picked the worst time of year to do Basic in Georgia.  June/July sucks.  Water will be your best friend, and drink lots of it.   Be prepared to drink two gallons a day or more.

I know there are some active duty Army guys on this board and many retired ones.  Can anyone tell me what to expect?  I know I'll be doing "Basic Rifle Marksmanship" and "Advanced Rifle Marksmanship."  What is the difference betweent the two?  Also, will I be qualifying with anything besides an M16?  Will I be shooting anything besides an M16?
You will be firing the M16A2.   They have a US Weapons class where they show off the SAW, M240, etc.   You might get the chance to fire a few rounds, you might not.  You will qualify with grenades, and will toss a few live ones.   Might get a chance to light off a claymore.   Minimum, you'll fire maybe 200 rounds through the M16A2, and toss one or two grenades.   Allegedly they're stepping up the BRM course, but we'll see about that.

Forget everything about civvie shooting.  Just follow the directions from your drill during BRM and pay attention during the classes.

What kind of physical training will I be doing?  I'm in fairly decent shape.  I can run well and situps are no problem.  But I'm not particularly brawny (5'11" and 150 lbs), so I'm wondering about pushups and just the general physical requirements (marching, carrying rucksacks, etc).
If you think you're in decent shape, your drill's will quickly disabuse you of this perception.   Wink

Happened to me.  For instance, I thought I could crank out push ups like no tomorrow.   First day, I did exactly one push up.   "One.  One.  One.   One.   One.  GET THAT REAR END UP.   One.  One.  One.  One.   YER NOT GOING DOWN FAR ENOUGH.   One.  One."   You get the picture.

You'll be doing all kinds of PT.  There are dozens of different exercises, and your drill will likely have a personal favorite that he enjoys.  Murphy statistics will show that this will be coincidently your least favorite form of exercises.   If you haven't been getting into shape before Basic, you're gonna pay for it.  If you're in decent shape as you say, don't worry about it.  As long as you do your best, you'll be fine and get through it.  

If you wish, you could have a family member post your address here, or have a person act as a central collection point.   Letters during Basic will help.   Your mail WILL get to you immediately.  I had buddies low crawl 300m in order to deliver a letter to me when I was out at an LP/OP during an field exercise.   The people that wrote to me during Basic will have my eternal gratitude for lifting my morale.  I can tell you every single one of their names because I read their letters whenever I could.

If you want to be slick, get a person to collect all your mail and ship it in a single large envelope.  Most drill's make you do x number of pushups per letter, getting one large letter instead of twenty smaller letters will vastly reduce the number of pushups during mail call.

The biggest piece of advise I'll give ya is to listen to your drill and forget the outside world even exists.   Don't be the first, don't be the last and don't stick out.   Keep your stuff organized and ready to go, no matter how many times your wall locker is dumped.  Work with the rest of your platoon, even if you hate each other (and you will).  If you're quick, and someone else is slow, help them out.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 07:39:17 AM »
Best wishes to you.

Bemidjiblade

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 01:11:12 PM »
Thank you for your service, my friend