Author Topic: 4WD Adventures  (Read 5385 times)

Art Eatman

• friend
4WD Adventures
« on: June 18, 2005, 06:05:26 PM »
I've been playing in/with Toyota 4WD PUs since 1982.  Meddling around down in my country means going over some really rough country--and occasionally some wet stuff.

It occurred to me that I have a sort of a record:  I've crossed the Rio Grande when the water got above the headlights.  Some years later, I crossed Terlingua Creek with water above the headlights.  My buddy, watching and a tad nervous, said he wasn't sure I'd make it after the taillights went under.  But, I did. Cheesy

Anybody else have the occasional nervous moment?

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

4WD Adventures
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 07:14:23 PM »
I thought you were supposed to drive  across / down the creek to wash the mud off ...

Gee, It was normal to go 4-wheeling for something to do. I mean one can watch TV to see critters and have the phone ring - or do as we did, have the red and blue lights interupt the live animal viewing at night.

I mean I shot moving targets with a shotgun...if'n you want to learn to shoot "moving" targets with a rifle, you gotta shoot stationary targets out of moving vehicle. For "safety reasons" - one needs a 4wd to get back in the woods to shoot guns....that "know target and what behind it"  dealie....

Karman Gias are not 4wd. They will float you across the creek that rose a bit quick...the trick is to get a lot of speed, aim up creek and that way you only end up 6 blocks down the city park creek and can leave by driving thru the Pavillion - Well I figured the girl needed to actually understand what 'sealed bottom" meant...

Had a boss once buy a brand new Int'l Scout. He never licensed it or bought tags. It was for his "farm".  Now he did immediatly have 4 helmets a 5 pt buckle system put inside, and roll cage built for it.  His "farm" was a bit hilly and had some ponds fed by BIG creeks. He made  sorghum molasses and some other clear stuff that went into mason jars...

Upon  hiring, my first day at work involved keys to the farm, where the fishing gear was, and a tour of the property. Quickest distance b/t two points is a straight line...makes no never mind if there are trees, ditches, creeks...

"BANG"  shotgun blast! "Momma is telling us supper is ready" ....we only rolled over once, and cleared some more a path he was working on. That Scout came to town twice a year to get tires, dents hammered out, and whatever else needed fixing...most often the roll cage and brush guards. The hash marks on the dash noted how many times it  was rolled...

The mostest fun a fella can have is when a anal / retentive, OCB fella gets a new Ford Bronco that gets the tires  Armor-Alled if the grass from the lawnmower blows on them. It is a sin to have a 4 wd that has never been off paved roads.

His wife was a country girl, hubby was told we needed to run down the road and pick up some 'mater.  We didn't tell him we were going to the country, onto country roads....much less gravel,dirt and the muddy ones .... I was driving and knew the 'backway".

Picture a vanilla white Bronco  arriving back home "finally"  with the wifey laughing so hard she peed herself in the driveway, the Bronco was Chocolate Brown, even up on the roof top, huge clods of mud going "plop"..."plop" on this pristine driveway, only thing not muddy was the area on the windshield were the wipers were used....

Hubby didn't smoke, hubby liked fine wines....hubby literally fell out of the Bronco, smoking one of my smokes and drinking a warm Bud....he even kissed the ground.

All I did was go for 'maters...his wife wanted Arkansas Home Grown and I knew a place where to get 'em fresh off the vine....

He has this aversion to 'maters for some reason I hear...

*grin*

Still think the old 70's Broncos were better....

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
4WD Adventures
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 11:58:44 PM »
Heehee!

My oldest's girlfriend just bought a nice '76 Bronco for a toy.  It has  a little lift kit on it, the requisite big tires and a new longblock, but it needed 'a little more'.  Kid and I stuck headers, a new intake and a 4 barrel on the anemic little 302 last month and made a drastic improvement in it.  They're off in the Sabine riverbottoms this weekend with it, so I'll probably have a good report by Monday for you.

Muddin' was one of the only one of the past-times we had in the Bottoms.  One of my best friends got tired of breaking his Chevrolet 3/4 ton 4wd's so he bought a Land Cruiser, only to figure out that that big 6 cylinder engine was only good for keeping his wallet emptied out at the gas station and the parts catalogues, not getting across the swamp.   After awhile, it was swapped out for a 350 Chevy, then when that proved insufficient, a more drastic transplant took place- 5 ton military axles and transfer case were hung underneath a substantial body and frame lift.  When the 350 proved to be too limited, it was swapped for a 454.  For seriously deep areas, modified military 5 ton hubs were welded into 72 inch tractor rims with chevron tread tires.  It wasn't fast, but it sure was loud.  

Late one rainy Easter weekend as the Sabine was rising quickly, he got a call from a guy who had managed to snag his new F250 over a stump along a pipeline right of way just before the water started coming in through the dash vents.  The truck was still somewhat visible from the road as the owner had the good sense to leave the high beams on as he swam away and they made a decent navigation hazard beacon that could be seen for about a half mile.  The Yota was brought out along with his 10 ton wrecker, the plan being to take the KW wrecker to a spot close enough for the Toyota to crawl the cable out to the now fully-submerged pickup, where the owner would voluntarily drop off into the cold water and attach the winch cable to the frame, which was well-lit by all the refracted headlamps.  At that point, the KW winch truck would take up the slack and reel in the F250 like a largemouth bass on a frog lure.

In plan, anyway.

You get 5 guys in an old, loud, tall yet remarkably stable vehicle at 0300, 4 of them soaked to the skin and in coming off their ethanol very quicky and the prospects of going back over and into cold water loses its' appeal pretty soon.   The Yota crawled loudly out over the right of way to the drowned Ford easily enough, but it took two of the frogman cowboys to find a suitable attachment point for the cable.  Once it was hooked about an hour later, the radios crackled and the slack came out.   Took some straining and the KW slid a bit in the mud, but it came out, all right...truck, mud, stump and all. Seems the divers had looped the cable around the stump and front axle as well.  

Needless to say, the truck found its' way to the auction shortly.  Someone got a heck of a deal on a low-mileage diesel F250 4wd that always had a funny smell to it.   The Yota was driven sporadically after that, being only quasi-street legal, and it still exists, but never became 'competitive' on the 'professional mud-bog circuit' as its builder had hoped it would.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

mtnbkr

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 03:25:21 AM »
Anybody else have the occasional nervous moment?
The only time was when I drove my dad's 2wd Ford Ranger with street tires across a gravel bottomed and rain swollen creek with enough firewood in the bed to push the suspension down to the bumpstops.  The water was above the bottom of the doors.  I got stuck halfway across for about half a second, but gunning it got me moving again.  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
4WD Adventures
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 05:07:49 AM »
Back in 1992 I took a rented, brand new Mitsubishi Galant backroading on the NRA Whittington Center. The big nervous moment was crossing a dry wash. I was sure that I was going to get hung up on the frame and have to walk 5 miles back to the center to have someone with a truck pull my sorry butt out. Fortunately, I was wrong, and I didn't have to make the humiliation hike.

I guess the rental place never looked under the car when I returned it, as I never got a bill for anything. I know there were some interesting under carriage dents that weren't there before. Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Stetson

• friends
4WD Adventures
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 10:10:45 AM »

4 wheeling with Mom, dad, myself, my brother and grandparents.  1976 Scout.  We are goung around a tree and there is a 100' drop off the left side.  My brother accidentally kicked it out of 4wheel drive and the scout tried to go up the hill to the left.  It started to tilt towards the drop off.  Brakes were applied, my fingers were peeled off the door handle and I got out to attach the winch cable to a tree, higher up.  We just pulled it around the corner and up the hill with the winch.  then we all got out and cleaned out our shorts..

Otherguy Overby

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 11:14:48 AM »
Back in the late 70s I had a landcruiser.  The previous remarks about the engine being little more than an anchor are true.  They only wake up with a Chevy transplant.

Anyway, this was in Southern California.  A friend and I (he had a Dodge 4X4) would head for the mountains in the early spring when a storm would come through, a snow storm in the mountains.  We'd drive over Cajon pass (I-5), down the other side (all freeway) and get off and head east into the desert.  Then we'd head south and up into the mountains taking the back way (dirt fire road) up to Fawnskin & Big Bear.  From Hesperia down in the high desert it was around 3,000 feet elevation.  Fawnskin is about 6,000 elevation and Big Bear lake is about 6,700 and everything is uphill from there.

We wouldn't go unless the forecast was for more than a foot of snow,  and springtime was the best and muddiest.  No one in their right mind would go in one vehicle.   Our theory was, if we couldn't make it uphill we could always go back down.  I recall pulling several vehicles out of the mud, but only pulled them out on the downhill side.  I did get high centered once, you'll remember the reference to the Landcruiser's anchor engine, it just didn't have enough throttle response to bounce over stuff.  My friend, after giving me a bunch of sh..   er grief then pulled me off.  We rarely encountered anyone going uphill, though.  Most everyone else was going downhill, and it sure seemed like most of those people got stuck trying to go downhill.

Now I've an area on my property where I can do some fairly tough rock crawling...   Smiley
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
4WD Adventures
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 02:28:20 PM »
Nervous moments?  Me?  Never!
American Fork Canyon (Utah), stuck in the snow:

A rescue I took part in, when this young fella got his Blazer stuck with two wheels hanging off the edge of a 1000' dropoff.  

Look close, the back right wheel is not in touch with the dirt (pre-lift photo)

YEEHAAA!

I miss my Jeep!  '94 XJ with 4" of lift, 31" Dunlop Mud's, Olympic bumpers and nerf bars, Olympic rack, Hydraulic winch.  She was quite capable!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Art Eatman

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 06:47:20 PM »
The only thing I've done to my Toy is to use a Weber carb.  With the air cleaner on top, it doesn't suck water through the stock intake which sucks air from down by the left headlight. Smiley  I run the 7.00x15 light truck mud&snow tires, six-ply.

Schuey2002

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 08:38:11 PM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
Some years later, I crossed Terlingua Creek with water above the headlights.  My buddy, watching and a tad nervous, said he wasn't sure I'd make it after the taillights went under.  But, I did. Cheesy

Art
I had a somewhat similiar experience out in the Oregon National Dunes a few years ago.

One day a friend and I decided to go wheelin’ out in the dunes after work. After a few hours of playin’ in the sand, and climbing everything in sight, we decided to explore some trails that led off into a small stand of pine and douglas fir trees..

As we are traveling down this overgrown trail, I hear over the CB..

“Dude, there is a lake at the end of this trail. It's not that deep, three feet or so, maybe a bit deeper.. I've been through it before with my old '84. It's easy...  Besides, if you get stuck, I'll pull you out." Proclaimed Kent.

Being the guinea pig that I am, and not wanting to look like a chicken, I went first. As I nosed into it (in 4 Lo), and as the headlights started to submerge, I quickly stopped, threw it in reverse and backed out. After quick burst of nerves, and a change to 4 High, I again took the plunge. Keeping my foot on the throttle, I proceded into the small lake. As my hood vanished under the water, and as the noise of gurgling water filled the cab, I somehow managed to make it through. After stopping on the trail on the far side, I got out, popped the hood and took a look-see. After noting the dry air box and filter, I knew that my engine had survived. Then it was my friends turn.

He, and his ‘85, were not so lucky. After creeping into it and then traveling right into the center of the lake, the water got its revenge. His stock intake had sucked in water like a Dyson vacuum cleaner. All manner of rattling noises started emanating from under his hood. After leaning out his window, and giving me this “Oh, Sh*t!” look, he managed to slowly creep through the watery muck to the far side where I was..

Swearing could be heard bouncing off the surrounding pine trees, as we both stared at his blue '85 Toyota. Kent then popped his hood so we could inspect the damage. Water was pouring out of the stock intake and onto the grill. After more swearing by Kent, he turned, walked to the bed of his truck and grabbed his tool box.

In minutes, the valve cover of the 22RE was off. A mix of water and murky motor oil dripped down the block.

More swearing and staring ensued. cheesy

After some time had passed, the valve cover was put back on, and the hood was slowly closed.

"Dude, you're going to have to tow me back to my uncle's ATV shop. We'll take a closer look at it once we get over there.."

As I pulled his '85 out of there, I couldn't help but savior the moment. Me, and my "Inferior Tacoma", towing his "Superior and 100% Japanese built" 1985 back to civilization. Cheesy  

The next day I get a phone call from Kent. The watery dunking had bent two rods, #3 and #4. A new (rebuilt) 22RE was on its way from a shop in California as he spoke.

Obtw, his truck hasn't been in anything deeper than a mud puddle since that day out in the dunes..

SADShooter

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 07:17:38 AM »
I have a novice question. Where can I learn more (preferably online) about properly handling a 4WD vehicle in off-road situations? Proper braking, acceleration, etc., techniques beyond shifting the transfer case. I'm not as adventuresome as you folks, but we do have some need to get around on less-than-level terrain. Thanks.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ray

4WD Adventures
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 10:40:41 AM »
IMHO, there's no such thing as learning online. Now the best way is join a club and go 'wheeling. But there are camp jeeps run by Daimler Chrysler where they'll give you 4wd basics and let you drive their stockers. I believe land rover also offers some sort of rendezvous where they'll show LR owners how to handle their rigs offroad.

It's pretty much a "learn by doing" enterprise. But make sure you are doing it with another vehicle along.

Art Eatman

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »
SADShooter, the main thing is to NOT try to emulate the TV ads.  Yeah, they show folks leaping tall sand dunes in a single bound, but they don't tell you how many 4WDs got wiped out while making the ad.

In my Toy, I've found low range in 2nd and 3rd to be the most useful.  99% of the time, Slower is Better.

I've traversed some pretty big rocks by slowly crawling the tires over them in Grammaw--Low Range, First Gear & Slow.  Try to straddle a rock and your eyeball was off and you hear horrible graunching noises.

Tires make a big difference.  All-Terrain Radials AIN'T!!!  Terlingua tire-repair folks just love to see the 4WDs with great big doughnut A-TRs show up.  Lotsa sidewall punctures, where all radials are vulnerable to sharp rocks and greasewood and mesquite.  Those tires are fine down on Padre Island...

According to the dealership Toyota mechanics, the old solid-axle trucks don't ever come in for repairs; only seals.  The post-'85 double-wishbone designs aren't as strong...

I've picked up parts and pieces from almost ever brand of 4WD known to man in the last 30 years in Terlingua--except Toyota. Smiley  What I've found is that gears are more important than gross power.  The Toy's litle four-banger started out as a fork-lift motor, and it's pretty much bullet proof.  I've got 285,000 on the original crank.  And it won't twist the frame...

FWIW, Art

grampster

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 05:23:59 PM »
My brother and I once in June,  took a 2 track following a creek off highway 189  in Wyoming  north of I-80 that suposedly led up into Idaho in the Bridger Teton Wilderness, into the Salt River Range toward
Smoot, which I could never figger was in Wyoming or Idaho.  Had a forrester's handmade map.  We never got to Smoot as the snow got too deep and we had to turn back.   I had a old 82 Bronco 4 X 4 and we had to back out of one spot as the two track wound up on the side of a mountain and the Bull Dozer was setting and rusting at the end of the trail.  I really got to appreciate low range 4 wd that day.  I would not trade the vista we were blessed with that day.

We got out before dark and ate, slept and drank in Pinedale, Wyo. that night.  A couple of old guys we talked to said we were lucky it didn't snow while we were up there as maybe they would have found our bones in a couple of years.

Couple of Michigan Hillbilly's in Big Country.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Schuey2002

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 05:24:18 PM »
>>"SADShooter, the main thing is to NOT try to emulate the TV ads.  Yeah, they show folks leaping tall sand dunes in a single bound, but they don't tell you how many 4WDs got wiped out while making the ad."<<

Emulating TV is fun! How else are you going know the limits of your 4x4 unless you have several feet of ground clearance under each wheel??

Tongue

Schuey_wholeapstallsandduneswithasingleboundinhisYota_2k2

Art Eatman

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 05:35:54 PM »
Schuey, I do all my own maintenance.  I just really HATE the idea of digging out the Porta-Power and chains and crawling underneath to straighten out a frame.  And I have better things to do than re-weld shock mounts...

Smiley, Art

Schuey2002

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2005, 05:57:05 PM »
cheesy

And for the most part so do I. Unless I can drag K-man over here (along with his Esab 650 plasma cutter and Miller portable MIG welder) to cut 'n weld 'n wrench on my Yota. Smiley

Gawd, the thought of having to take the Yota to the Stealer makes me cringe.

~ Brian

captain obvious

4WD Adventures
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2005, 06:10:36 PM »
Last fall, not more than ten miles outside of Charleston, West Virginia;

I was driving my Jeep Wrangler, following my friend's dad's suburban, out checking on some natural gas drilling rigs. As it had just rained (pretty heavily) I was almost sure that we be walking back, and some (what seemed to be) hills in excess of 35 degrees.

Oh, and did I mention that this was the first time I had taken my jeep off roading (with the exception of some poor, but flat, dirt roads)?

When we left there was literally not a square inch of the outside of the jeep that was not coated with mud - I wish we had gotten pictures.

4WD Adventures
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2005, 06:24:39 PM »
Art,
Shuey,

I think some more sharing and tidbits might be useful .

Such as should shocks be fore/ aft of axle, tire selection for environment, gear ratios, trannies...etc.

I have to say the old Toyota, and Datsun [ dated myself huh?] with 2 wd , manual tranny and the 4 banger did quite well out on the farms, rances and such...with a little weight in the bed. Good Part is a couple of guys could lift the back end out of a ditch enough to get wood under a tire to get back on ...not a road, path...how about a trail?

Amazing what a '53 Chevy Sedan with that higher ground clearance, 3 on the tree and straight six would do..."okay  we made up the hill...now all we gotta do is get down the other side".  We made thru the creek and back to safety. Must have been the bias belt tires...*wink*

Schuey2002

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2005, 06:59:00 PM »
Steve, keep the stories comin'.. It's good stuff!! Smiley

Here's a shot of my bud's truck sitting in his back yard (which could easily pass for a small salvage yard), awaiting its third engine. The first 22RE (which had over 200K on it, IIRC) let go on a local bridge about a year earlier. It dragged a streak of oil down Cape Arago Highway for well over a mile.. maybe more. The second engine (the one that he hydrolocked) was less than a year old. It was only a pup in Toyota years.. cheesy

(The mud, dirt, sand and muck had been washed off the day before this pic was taken. I also had a couple of shots of the bent rods laying in his bed, but I can't find them anywhere on this 'puter. I probably zapped 'em. Crap!)

Paddy

4WD Adventures
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2005, 03:25:57 PM »
Where can I learn more (preferably online) about properly handling a 4WD vehicle in off-road situations? Proper braking, acceleration, etc., techniques beyond shifting the transfer case.
There are a few articles here, under "Off Roading", "Safety/First Aid" and "Offroad Recovery".  http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.htm

Nothing beats 'hands on' (as in 'hands on the 'oh $hit' bar'), though.   You can hurt/kill yourself before you know it, not to mention really screwing up you truck.

4WD Adventures
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2005, 04:37:40 PM »
"How does one learn?"

They give lessons for this stuff?  I didn't get the memo - as usual.  Nope we would say "hey, I wonder what that is over there?" Start heading in that direction, now once "there" on had to get back.

Now I have not personally owned a 4wd.

A lot of my needs were farms, ranches and such.

I mean you get a real funny look in July in AR asking if Stinger Sams has any chains for your '65 Buick.

So learned to use chains to get around the mud, hills, thru creeks and such with 2 wd, be it a Pickup truck , Sedan, VW Beetle, Karman Gia or Jesus Bus...( don't ask - but yes as most Jesus Buses came with Annie Green Springs / Boone's Farms, blond or brunette...)

Me being me and all , and knowing the best fishing, hunting, or ...umm Sunsets ...were in remote areas...I went.

There is much truth that 4wd will get you stuck further out ...then again some of us just "had" to "Take it to the Limit one more time..." .  It is really quite funny to have a '65 Buick pull a  Blazer out of a ditch...

I had a hunting pard that bought a plain jane Chevy P/U 4 wd drive - rubber mats , AM only radio.  Daughter finally had a Cassette put in.  Now he did have two sets of wheels / tires , One being Co-ops, the biggest Come-a-long I have ever seen, and the HUGE Warn on the front.  He knew how to drive and never got stuck. He did pull a lot of folks out.  Baby Blue...well it came from the Factory Baby Blue...if it rained it kinda sorta was..." I retired, I hunt, fish, and keep my damn feet out of momma's way when she wants to run that damn vacuum...who has time to wash a truck?"   The cab was hosed out from time to time....

Now his son had a old Toyota 2wd.  " Too light to get stuck"...he used emergency chains, or snow chains as I did. [ Stinger Sams just had to think folks were coming in off the Group W bench...] , He too had two sets of wheels and tires. He ran the second set , Re-capped Snow with the steel inserts....they finally played out and one is not supposed to use them except from Nov to Feb ( back then) so he went to Re cap mud tires...had a small warn and come- along....Four banger, easing along getting to and fro. Sometimes the bed had two 60 # bales of hay....then again two labs, or just the Dekes was all he needed to keep the bed " steady".

Now I have a '93 S10, Regular Cab, 2wd. Running a 4 speed Overdrive Auto Trannie, and 4.3 L.

I bought it at the time 'cause I needed a truck to commute on the highway and get decent mileage. Fuel pump will quit at 140 mph....On long road trips I get 25- 30 mpg. [ depends on the terrain and speed limit....]

Now my scariest moment was up in PA.  Okay we have Hills in AR...in PA them are MOUNTAINS!  So I have this Blonde in short shorts riding shotgun to give directions to a remote place to go shooting. Folks up north do not give instructions as we down South do.  I mean down here " Head toward the Johnson's ranch, hang a left on the dirt road where Bobby Sue and Bobby Joe got caught , take the first road running parallel to the creek...watch out for the bull....

Up north in PA " Take the Blue route to highway something or another, go 21.8 miles...."  I felt a whole lot better once we stopped and bought sweet corn and I met some Amish folks...

Sheep! Where did the Sheep come from?  Don't do no good to honk a horn at sheep...in fact seems to attract them...just drive slow, and be patient. Whoever they are following will eventually led them out of the way...

We shoot on a remote private range. Do not ask me where, I was lost after we left the Blue Route and took the Pink Route to the highway...

We finished shooting. " We have great scenery ya?"   Well I fixed the "ya" to the proper "huh?" and WHOA!  We end up W-A- Y up a mountain.  It is a l-o-n-g way down yonder...looked like ants down there.  I see this itty bitty road leading from where we are to the ants.

" You said the shortest distance was a straight line...you are Southern Gentleman - Huh?"  
"Darlin'  I ain't got 4WD"
"You always say improvise, adapt and overcome"

Sigh...

"Are you not supposed to yell "Geronimo".

I used the Southern Expression  most used in situations like this...Even Art's Grammaw would have approved in this situation...even Art's Grammaw would have said it....loudly I might add...

I mean we are seemingly going "nose down" this mountain.  

"If I roll this sucker, latch onto me and hold tight"
" So one of us will not get thrown?"
" Hell no, I die, it has to look good, I mean going in the arms of a blonde ain't a bad way to go..."

Them "ants" were cows.  Great, I can do cows....I hit the horn, here comes Rin-Tin-Tin - BIG German Shepard ...starts showing teeth, and then makes a beeline to get the cows out of the way...Good Doggie.

"Once we hit bottom, now where do I go?"

"See that trail, that will take us to a county road..."

Mirrors pulled in, then make it up the "hill" [ seemed like a small mountain to me - don't care what she said].

We made it.  Found a little Mom & Pop store, checked my truck, everything fine, restroom break, sodas, snacks...and off to find the green route, or was it the purple route... I don't know going 75 on pavement felt good for a change....

" You Southern Boys sure know how to show a girl a good time...,
" Aw shucks Ma'am - twern't nuttin'. "

I like your accent"
"Darling - that ain't a "accent" - I speak Southern, not English - there is a difference"

" Keep talking..and  I'll buy BBQ at a - how do you say it " a Joint" .

Did you know you can get good BBQ in PA and if you talk Southern you get your Iced tea and Dessert Free?  I didnt' either... I mean she did pay for my two racks of ribs...the waitress kept coming around and visiting, hollering for the other waitresses to come over, I mean we had a great time, one Southern Boy surrounded by all these young gals in short shorts , tank tops, iced tea, BBQ.

I was having a great time talking about shooting, and whatever else they wanted to hear.  "Oh you Southern Boys really are ...*ahem*..." brave"... yuz guyz went down that mountain?

... sigh...
...Hey if the iced teas and desserts were on the house, what do I care?

Had to stop for smokes....After the day we had....

I think I know why the convienence stores are named Sheetz  up there....

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
4WD Adventures
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2005, 06:06:54 PM »
Quote from: SADShooter
I have a novice question. Where can I learn more (preferably online) about properly handling a 4WD vehicle in off-road situations? Proper braking, acceleration, etc., techniques beyond shifting the transfer case. I'm not as adventuresome as you folks, but we do have some need to get around on less-than-level terrain. Thanks.
I have a great little video starring Ivan "ironman" Stewart.  Nothing beats hands on, but this video has some great tips.  If you're willing to pay shipping (about 2 bucks I'd figure) I'll send it to you.  Email me or pm me.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

JAlexander

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 07:10:53 AM »
We don't get so much rain that I need a four wheel drive truck very often, but last year I got magnificently stuck on one of the little-used roads on my family's place.  The mud wasn't that deep, but there was no way my little Tacoma could get any grip in it.  I ended up having to go get the tractor to haul us out and back to a good gravel road.  A few weeks later I was going down that same road with some friends and hit a slick spot, but through speed and good steering I made it through.  They were impressed at the amount of mud that ended up on the roof of the truck, too.

I have a buddy, though, who has the the worst luck ever.  He managed to get his Pathfinder stuck in a mudhole on a road.  To be fair, it was a deep mudhole, and it was after dark, but still...  A week or so ago the same guy threw a rod in his Neon because he tried to go through a low water crossing.  It was the rally edition with the cool air intake under the engine, and as soon as that thing hit the water, boom.  Or rather, and .  I felt bad for him, but he only gave $50 for the car.

And last but not least, we have my sister.  She managed to get her truck stuck in her driveway and start to slide off to the side and down the hill.  She did have an excuse, though.  The tires on that truck were nearly bald, and she tried to drive it on the clay that our grandfather used on part of the driveway.  Observe.
http://public.fotki.com/JAlexander/truck_pics/

James

mtnbkr

• friend
4WD Adventures
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 07:35:20 AM »
James,

Never underestimate the slickness of a thin layer of mud and less than optimal tires.  I was on the Tuscarora Trail back in April to go turkey hunting.  I was traveling up a slightly inclined section of trail that was relatively smooth doubletrack with an inch deep layer of black mud (had been raining for a couple days and was misting at that time).  It was so slick, anything other than idle broke the tires loose.  At first, I thought my clutch was dead.  I had just over 1/4 inch of tread left on those tires, but it wasn't enough.

Here's pics of my 4Runner and another guy's 4Runner on the easier parts of the trail: http://community.webshots.com/album/81954443uLphtz
Mine's the silver one.

Chris