Author Topic: Balance and equilibrium problems  (Read 3692 times)

Warren

Balance and equilibrium problems
« on: June 19, 2005, 08:51:55 PM »
I am having some problems with my balance.

I keep leaning to the left and I do not know why. (Not a joke, about politics or anything else) and sometimes seem to be leaning down slope. Only there is no slope.

This has been going on for a long time but until today I thought they were just episodes of dizzyness brought on by lack of sleep or water. Until today. I have felt out-of-balance all day and I had plenty of sleep and water.

I'm about to head off to bed and I hope I feel better in the morning.

Anyone else have these kind of things happen? If so what did you do?

Thanks,

H2L

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 10:31:30 PM »
Not since I was a kid, and it was a nasty ear infection.

Consult your doctor as you may be experiencing inner ear problems.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 03:09:10 AM »
You have vertigo and Azrael is right, most likely caused by an infection.  What worries me is you said you have had it a long time.  That ain't good as it may indicate a permanent problem.  Temporary relief can be found in Bonine or Dramamine or in the prescription Antivert (meclazine).  I get it from time to time but it is always when I have a cold/sinus infection and it goes to my ear.  Haven't had it for about 2 years now thank God.  Are you nauseas/sick to your stomach?  Mine gets worse sometimes when I try and sleep, esp. lying down.  If you have a recliner, sleep there.

Greg

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 03:11:17 AM »
Lyme disease?

I'd get to a doc.  (I'm a doc, but not the medical kind).
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mhdishere

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 04:26:26 AM »
I had a friend in High School who had all sorts of equilibrium problems, they did all sorts of stuff to his inner ear, stuff which left him deaf in one ear too.  They finally found out the problem, his eyeglass prescription was WAY off.  If you wear glasses, and especially if you've recently changed scripts, get those checked before you do anything that may have permanent implications.

Myself

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 06:27:36 AM »
I have the same problem intermittantly since the begining of Feb.  When it first started in Feb. it was so bad that when I stood up I vomited from the dizzyness.  Dr. diagnosed problem as a virus infection of the inner ear which affects the nerve.  Used large doses of steroids to reduce the inner ear inflamation.  I still have a touch of it but it is nowhere near as bad as it was.  Unfortunatly with most virus things there is not a lot that can be done in the way of a cure.  It just has to work itself out while your body fights the bug.  In the interum they treat the symtoms.

See a med type and get it checked out.  YMMV  I am not a Doctor and I have never stayed at a Holiday Inn express.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 09:46:04 AM »
Both SWMBO and I have had reoccuring bouts with equilibrium problems.  See a doc.  You may have something such as an inner ear infection or congestion etc...But sometimes this problem just occurs and there is no cure.  Mine came on with tinnitis, but comes and goes.  SWMBO's started after a plane ride to Florida in January.  I also have an allergy to some meds that brings it on.

Here is a little drill that I do that a doc told me about that tends to help.  Sit erect on the end or side of your bed.  Turn your head as far to the right as you can without moving your body.  Move your eyes as far to the right as possible.  Then throw yourself backwards onto the bed.   Repeat to the left.  Do several times in a row and repeat a few times during the day.

I am not joking here!  I was having a problem Friday and early Saturday and by Saturday PM I was back to normal.  (At least as normal as is possible for grampster to be, heh.)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 12:35:18 PM »
Hopefully your physician can rule out Meniere's disease.  It's absolutely no fun whatsoever, but has some of the symptoms you have presented with.

http://www.menieresinfo.com/

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Warren

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 12:42:40 PM »
Thanks all for the info.

I got up today feeling fine. But I will make an appointment with a Doc.