Author Topic: swap a standard transmission into automatic Tahoe?  (Read 17322 times)

zahc

• friend
swap a standard transmission into automatic Tahoe?
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:42:57 PM »
The automatic transmission in my Tahoe is acting up. I know that there seems to be about a $2000 price floor for automatic transmission work and since I hate automatic transmissions with the burning passion of a thousand suns anyway, I'm thinking that when it totally dies on me I might try to swap in a standard from the junkyard. I'm thinking it would bolt right on, but the things I'm worried about are if the drive shaft will be the right length, and if the truck's electronics will fritz out somehow if it takes into account the gear the truck is in and so on for engine management. Hopefully a 1996 will be pretty stupid, electronically speaking....I ripped the ABS module out and threw it away and the truck doesn't seem to even know anything is amiss. Not sure if my speedo would work afterword either...

Does anyone know the precise differences between standard and automatic transmission Chevy trucks?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: swap a standard transmission into automatic Tahoe?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »
Electronics aside you will need a flywheel, clutch disk, clutch pressure plate, throwout bearing, Bell-housing, transmission, shifter and a hole in the floor for it to fit through, shift linkage, a clutch pedal assembly and a standard shift brake pedal as the auto pedal is different, the linkage for that, possibly a different cross-member and transmission mount and, as you noted, possibly a different drive shaft. Unless you have access to a junker/parts donor truck with the same make/model/engine this will be an expensive proposition for you and you do NOT want to use a used clutch, presser plate and throwout bearing unless you like taking it all back apart again fairly soon and replacing them all anyway.

The Speedometer should attach to the manual transmission without any problems BUT, because Automatic differentials are geared higher than standard transmissions generally, your speedometer will be way off. Also, you will have no low-end torque off the line but great gas mileage as the engine will be loafing on the highway.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 02:52:09 AM »
Ain't nothing that can't be solved with a cutting torch, a welder and a couple thousand $$.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 06:01:23 AM »
You'll spend more than $2K to make the conversion....better to either sell yours off & buy what you want or suck it up and get the auto-tranny....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 07:40:15 AM »
For Sale: 98 S-10, 4.3 V6, Manual transmission (NV3500), $1900

pic here

=D
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 09:08:57 AM »
For Sale: 98 S-10, 4.3 V6, Manual transmission (NV3500), $1900

pic here

=D

That's the cheap, easy part.

Frame mounting, pedal hangers, differential gearing.

4x4? - Transfer case compatibility.

I'm sure it's been done,  and I'm not trying to scare you.
Just work it all the way through on paper, and bounce it off someone who knows a lot more bout it than us before spending a penny.

http://www.advanceadapters.com/
7-11 was a part time job.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 09:42:21 AM »
Unless you have access to a junker/parts donor truck with the same make/model/engine this will be an expensive proposition for you

No such Tahoe exists, but for that vintage you might be able to use a half ton 4x4 chevy pickup.  =|

OTOH, it would probably be easier and cheaper to use parts off the Tahoe to fix up a manual transmission pickup.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 10:11:12 AM »
No such Tahoe exists, but for that vintage you might be able to use a half ton 4x4 chevy pickup.  =|

OTOH, it would probably be easier and cheaper to use parts off the Tahoe to fix up a manual transmission pickup.  ;)

Pretty much what I was thinking. I haven't seen a Suburban with a manual transmission any newer than the late 1980's.

I would just try and buy used low mileage auto transmission and do the swap.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 11:20:47 AM »
The switch to electronic transmissions for GM happened 1994-ish, so yours is pretty much guaranteed to be a 4L60E if it's a 1/2 ton or a 4L80E if it's a 3/4 ton. Without replacing the ECM or at least reprogramming it the conversion will stall when stopped at a light.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 01:37:51 PM »
If you're going to swap the transmission anyway then you might as well do what my nephew does to Suburbans and replace the gas engine and tranny with a Duramax and Allison  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 02:23:55 PM »
I ordered a Suburban on the last day of 1984 so as to be able to get a by-god 4sp transmission.  When GM transitioned the Suburban and Tahoe to the then-current truck body style (1992 model year, iirc), they dropped any offering of a manual transmission.  You're hosed.  I've done some un-natural automotive acts to stay with manual transmissions, but it keeps getting harder.  I've bought an Ecoline vans (three on the tree), and a Volvo station wagon w/ manual plus push-button actuated overdrive (remember those?).

This small bit of automobillia is the ONLY place where I think our European cousins are actually wiser than we are in the US.  Sigh...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 02:39:47 PM »
I ordered a Suburban on the last day of 1984 so as to be able to get a by-god 4sp transmission.  When GM transitioned the Suburban and Tahoe to the then-current truck body style (1992 model year, iirc), they dropped any offering of a manual transmission.  You're hosed.  I've done some un-natural automotive acts to stay with manual transmissions, but it keeps getting harder.  I've bought an Ecoline vans (three on the tree), and a Volvo station wagon w/ manual plus push-button actuated overdrive (remember those?).

This small bit of automobillia is the ONLY place where I think our European cousins are actually wiser than we are in the US.  Sigh...

Sheer laziness on our part culturally. The euros have been paying through the sinus for gas for years, so anything to eek extra mileage out of an underpowered box of a car....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »
Sheer laziness on our part culturally. The euros have been paying through the sinus for gas for years, so anything to eek extra mileage out of an underpowered box of a car....

I can't speak to the power side, but many newer automatics deliver better mileage than the same car with a manual.

I've driven manuals almost exclusively since 1990 (I've owned 2 autos in the meantime, but still had manual cars in the garage).  I'm ready to have an auto in my DD.  The few times each year a manual is the superior option are far outweighed by the number of times I'm in NoVa stop-n-go traffic.  Nothing's more annoying that never getting out of 1st or being on the edge of shifting between gears.  Too fast for one gear, too slow for the next (or just as I shift, traffic slows again).

The only thing I like about a manual over an automatic is that you're less likely to be bit by a previous owner's lack of maintenance when buying a used vehicle.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 03:30:12 PM »
Helpful hint:  It will cost you more to swap in the standard than it will to get a bulletproof rebuilt on your slushbox.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 03:31:56 PM »
I commuted from Herndon to Tyson's corner over the Dulles toll road, in my Tercel Wagon w/manual tranny for over a year.  Just like 'em more, no matter the MPG difference or aggravation.  Taught all 3 kids to dive on manual tranny.  All three drive manual by choice (20-somethings now).

If the Lord hadn't wanted us to drive stick shift vehicles, he wouldn't have given us 2 feet. :lol:
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 04:08:11 PM »
I commuted from Herndon to Tyson's corner over the Dulles toll road, in my Tercel Wagon w/manual tranny for over a year.  Just like 'em more, no matter the MPG difference or aggravation.  Taught all 3 kids to dive on manual tranny.  All three drive manual by choice (20-somethings now).

If the Lord hadn't wanted us to drive stick shift vehicles, he wouldn't have given us 2 feet. :lol:

I drove Manassas to Tysons via I66 and 495 for 9 years, most of that with a manual (had an auto Altima for a short time).

Nothing better than never getting out of 1st gear from the Beltway to Rt29 on I66.  [ar15]

Chris

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 04:38:36 PM »
How smart are you mechanically? Might be better off to buy a soft parts rebuild kit from someplace like Drivetrain.com, get an excuse to buy a tranny jack(is that offensive  =D) and re-build away. Probably a best practice to replace the torque converter and install a transmission cooler while you are there. I used this company when I did my F-150, good service. I learned a great trick for seating in the bearing in the front pump that the torque converter rides in. Of course if you don't learn this trick the first time the bearing is too tight and fluid pushes the front seal out.  ;/ And then you get to use your new tranny jack again...  Anyway, it was pretty straightforward, consumed tons of ATF and carb cleaner getting everything clean, but way cheaper than any other option even after buying a jack, a few tools, a next day air seal after I nicked one , etc.

Linky. http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/transmissions_automatics/gm_4l60e_overhaul_kit.html
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »
If the Lord hadn't wanted us to drive stick shift vehicles, he wouldn't have given us 2 feet.

I still like my old 1976 GMC with the granny-gear four speed  =)  :cool:

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 11:00:11 PM »
I asked this question last winter when the non electrical auto trans in my 1992 chevy v6 pickup crapped out at 96k. All responses were that it was a non standard operation and it would take a long time to line up the parts and cost a lot more than a rebuild. They didn't say they wouldn't do it but they didn't really consider it a serious option either. My Chevy 1500 pickup with TBI V6, slushbox, and 3.08 rear end is a grueling experience. It is seriously underpowered, under geared, and the shift points are poorly designed. However, I found a shop 30 minutes away that rebuilt the trans, replaced the torque converter, and provided all labor for $950. That seemed like an honest price and they had it complete in 3 days the week before Christmas. I will not own another automatic vehicle again as long as it can be helped.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 11:05:55 PM »
I asked this question last winter when the non electrical auto trans in my 1992 chevy v6 pickup crapped out at 96k. All responses were that it was a non standard operation and it would take a long time to line up the parts and cost a lot more than a rebuild. They didn't say they wouldn't do it but they didn't really consider it a serious option either. My Chevy 1500 pickup with TBI V6, slushbox, and 3.08 rear end is a grueling experience. It is seriously underpowered, under geared, and the shift points are poorly designed. However, I found a shop 30 minutes away that rebuilt the trans, replaced the torque converter, and provided all labor for $950. That seemed like an honest price and they had it complete in 3 days the week before Christmas. I will not own another automatic vehicle again as long as it can be helped.

Autos can be very good if they are designed properly and built well.

Unfortunately, "Designed properly" and "Built Well" are not words known by many car makers.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Marvin Dao

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 01:06:27 AM »
Difficult but doable if you have a RWD Tahoe. Easiest way would be to find a donor GMT400 with a NV3500. You should be able to find all the parts you need for the swap from the donor vehicle. The GMT400 Tahoe/NV3500 5sp manual combination was offered in Brazil, but never made it to the States. It's also possible to swap a NV4500 transmission or a T56 transmission into your Tahoe.

NV4500 into a '95 Tahoe: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?401-NV4500-Manual-Swap-into-my-4-dr-Tahoe

T56 into GMT400: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?632-GMT400-4L60e-to-T56-swap-write-up-*dialup-warning*

Not that it's really a good idea. It'll be a lot of work and money finding the right bits and pieces unless you're fortunate enough to luck in on a donor GMT400 with a NV3500.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 08:55:14 PM »
Autos can be very good if they are designed properly and built well.

No. It is fundamentally impossible to properly design and build an automatic transmission by definition, because automatic transmissions are fundamentally stupid.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 10:51:19 PM »
No. It is fundamentally impossible to properly design and build an automatic transmission by definition, because automatic transmissions are fundamentally stupid.

Automatic transmissions are inanimate...and therefore inheriently morally neutral....the operator of the object is the one that imbues the resulting intent.....

Boy, do I miss "Tales of the Gun".....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.