Author Topic: Need some metal  (Read 4617 times)

zahc

• friend
Need some metal
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:11:35 PM »
I need a piece of 1/4inch-ish metal, aluminum or steel, about 3 inches wide and 10 or 12 inches long. Being a city dweller, I can't just go out to the fencerow to my stash of old cars and find some scrap. I have to actually find a store and buy some. They don't sell metal like that at normal hardware stores, and I called some metal companies and they only sell giant rolls of stuff. I MIGHT be able to make angle work. Any ideas where to buy metal?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Need some metal
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:15:45 PM »
http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Really though, if you're going to do much of this at all, you NEED a local source.  Shipping will kill you on metal.

At least in Kansas City, we have a shop specifically catering to the small order metal user... http://www.metalbythefoot.com/

It's possiable that you have something similar around.  Also, many machine shops will sell you raw metal stock.  Won't be as cheap as a dedicated place, though. 

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:20:06 PM »
You need to find a good junk yard.  Goto their fencerow stash of old cars and find some scrap; pay twice what it's worth (that's still cheap.)
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 11:35:02 PM »
I've never had good luck finding metal in junkyards.  Not much usable thicker stuff, anyway.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 11:37:37 PM »
That almost sounds like a piece of truck leaf spring you're needing, come on over and you can scrounge my junk pile parts stack.

Have you tried a farm and ranch supply store? also my local ACE has what they call "weld metal", different sizes and shapes of various types of metals.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

erictank

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:40:28 PM »
I need a piece of 1/4inch-ish metal, aluminum or steel, about 3 inches wide and 10 or 12 inches long. Being a city dweller, I can't just go out to the fencerow to my stash of old cars and find some scrap. I have to actually find a store and buy some. They don't sell metal like that at normal hardware stores, and I called some metal companies and they only sell giant rolls of stuff. I MIGHT be able to make angle work. Any ideas where to buy metal?

That's at (possibly just beyond) the upper limit of what you might find for hobby work - have you looked at a model/train/RC aircraft store?  They *MIGHT* carry something that thick - other dimensions should be fine, though you might have to do some cutting (don't know if they do 3" W, but they might have 4" and should have 6"W *12"L). It will be more expensive - you pay for convenience - but you shouldn't have to chop it off of a massive pile of rusty car parts.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 11:55:52 PM »
Truck leaf spring would work; I also thought of lawmower blades but those are pretty hard. I don't have a torch or welder--just a sawzall. If I didn't need it to be so thin, I would use a piece of good plywood.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 12:08:31 AM »
Truck leaf spring would work; I also thought of lawmower blades but those are pretty hard. I don't have a torch or welder--just a sawzall. If I didn't need it to be so thin, I would use a piece of good plywood.

lawmower blade is a good idea.  I can cut them with a file, they aren't terribly hard. (it would shatter if you hit a rock, otherwise!)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 07:31:36 AM »
Check the local ace or farm supply, if they don't have it they may be able to order it.

Or, see if there are any metal fab/welding shops around. Give a call and see if any would sell you a piece of scrap that would fit your needs.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »
Cruise the streets on large item trash day. I was always amazed at what people scrapped. Find a home gym, lawnmower, something, tear it apart and put the rest back on the curb.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 07:45:33 AM »
If you can't find anything locally and need to order on-line despite shipping costs, here are some links:

http://www.sherline.com/online.htm
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 10:02:14 AM »
Find your local metal distributor, Call them and ask which store has "drops" and go dig through their pile until you find one you need.  Most will shear it for you for ~$1 a cut so you can get exactly the measurements you want.  Al and steel drops are sold by the pound, What you're describing should be less then $20 bucks.

http://www.alro.com/  These are my local guys.  That's the kind of place you're looking for.  Full on industrial metal distributor.

I buy metal drops all the time.  It's so much better and easier then trying to save some rusted out, bent up junkyard find.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »
The shop of every trucking company I have driven for has had such stock on hand for repairs.   The crews of most of those shops would likely help you out.

When I was hauling steel on flat bed trucks, every fabricator I delivered to had a scrap pile.  I have bought some steel from one, been given some by another.

Run a search on "industrial metal supply" plus your location.  My local outfit, one I have hauled steel to, has a cutoff bin with bits and pieces left from other customers' projects, sells them by weight.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
McMaster Carr, Inc.  out of Cleveland  (with warehouses around the country)

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-aluminum-sheets/=ftfckf
Aluminum 1/4" x 3" x 3'  p/n 8975K873  $23

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-steel-sheets/=ftfe7j
Low carbon general purpose steel  1/4" x 3" x 1'  p/n 8910K572   $15.60
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »
Any welding shop should be able to sell you what you want.

You will probably pay more for the cutting fee than for the value of the metal itself.

Years ago, I could get small scrap at a junkyard where I could just go roam around and pick things up.  Might pay five bucks for a five gallon bucket full.  I used to buy small pieces that had nice round holes in them, to weld onto stuff for mounting brackets, etc  ;)

A buddy of mine bought a pile of scrap for $5 at a farm auction.  Turned out it was sitting in a hole  :O (iceberg principle)  We hauled 3 or 4 6x12' trailer loads out of there - thought for a while it was never going to end.  There was some good stuff in there too  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 07:12:45 PM »
There is a metal company just down the road (Trident metals), but they deal with huge quantities and rolls of stuff...I bought some 2" plate there once. I walked into the dock and asked nicely if they had a scrap pile, and they gave me a piece of 5" by 14" by 1/4 aluminum for free. Sweet!
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 01:00:01 AM »
Try a recycler.  My son gets a lot of stock out of the recycler guy.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 01:13:52 AM »
Look in your phone book for a machinist shop.  Ask them if they have a scrap piece you can buy.  Shouldn't pay too much.  Get a hacksaw and cut it down yourself.  Save the money.  I cut something for myself with a cheap Harbor Freight sawsall.   
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 06:42:17 PM »
Have you tried a farm and ranch supply store? also my local ACE has what they call "weld metal", different sizes and shapes of various types of metals.

+1

My local Menards has welding supplies with iron and aluminum pieces of various types (tube, flat, angle, etc).
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 09:13:25 PM »
Look in your phone book for a machinist shop.  Ask them if they have a scrap piece you can buy.  Shouldn't pay too much.  Get a hacksaw and cut it down yourself.  Save the money.  I cut something for myself with a cheap Harbor Freight sawsall.   
I agree.  Machine shops should have stuff like that and can cut it cheap likely. 

I'd bet the local scrap yard here might have something though it is hard to say.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 02:24:37 PM »
The one thing I miss the most about living in Wichita
http://www.yardstore.com/index.htm    That place is like a little slice of heaven :)  
They formed due to being in the heart of aircraft fab country.
I'm not sure if you could call them up give them the specs and see if you can have it shipped to you.
I'll have to look at the small collection of aluminum chunks I have laying around.  I'm not sure I have anything that long.

It seems they are focusing more on tools these days.  But the whole place is a scrap yard from heaven, all the aluminum titanium and steel you can think of.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:30:43 PM by InfidelSerf »
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76