Author Topic: Lithium drill batteries  (Read 810 times)

zahc

• friend
Lithium drill batteries
« on: February 25, 2012, 11:24:04 PM »
I have a Ryobi lithium drill, and one of the batteries flashes 'defective' when I try to charge it. I measured the terminals and I'm still seeing 8V. I would like to revive this thing if I can. Do you think I can trickle-charge it back to a high enough voltage for the Ryobi charger to charge it?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Lithium drill batteries
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 11:26:02 PM »
Umm... No?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 11:26:39 PM »
Are lithiums like NiCads, they can sometimes show voltage but be unable to hold a load?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:45:46 PM »
I'm sure that the charger's built-in charger IC is rejecting the battery because either it has too low of voltage, or something. The battery has 4 terminals, so I guess the other two are from more electronics in the battery itself. I'm thinking if I can just get the initial voltage up a bit then the Ryobi charger will take over, but I also don't want to burn my garage down.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 12:07:42 AM »
Lithium is not like Nickel. Once you discharge Li batteries below about 1.5-2 volts/cell, they will never recover.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?