Author Topic: Anyone else buy gold/silver?  (Read 1471 times)

zahc

• friend
Anyone else buy gold/silver?
« on: April 27, 2013, 03:48:34 PM »

I bought some gold and silver coins locally--first gold or silver coins I've ever actually held in my hand. It's interesting converting a pile of FRNs into a stack of metal.

I'm contemplating buying some more. Anyone buy online and have favored stores?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Anyone else buy gold/silver?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 04:34:26 PM »
I've started buying silver last year, unfortunately when it was in the high point before it started dropping. I've been buying mostly different types in groups of five because I think they look neat. Only have a few where I've bought in larger quantities. If only I could of predicted the future and bought like crazy 10 years ago. :O
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:45:40 PM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 05:18:25 PM »
it seems we have talked about this before.......maybe that was another forum.......
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 06:14:02 PM »
Mostly lead and brass the past few years.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »
Killing me, no money to buy with right now and silver is tanked. Now that my safe is here I'll be getting more as I can. If I had more than silver money I still think platinum is the buy right now over gold. Way less of it, industrial demand, historically runs about 30% higher than gold, and is currently close to lockstep with gold prices.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:11:39 PM »
I bought a bag of 40% Kennedy halves at $5.11 in 1998 and sold 3/4 of it at $50 about 2000. It HAS tanked but I'm still 500% upon what I have left. I've been considering buying more lately but I too don't really have the funds.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:38:33 PM »
I only buy silver and gold at market peaks so mine is worth more than other people's silver and gold.
I promise not to duck.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 01:52:11 AM »
Just find a reputable, local coin store.  They will be out of stock.  :'(  Cashed some old EE bonds, for to buy a coupla little gold coins, balance in junk silver dimes.  Turns out, I hadda buy a coupla numismatic type of 5 dollar 1/10 ounce eagles. Balance in some 1oz silver privately-minted "rounds".  I plan to gradually increase my stash, at least until .22LR comes back into the market.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 08:28:35 PM »
When silver and gold tanked last week, I went to several "dealers" around the area and asked what they had for sale.  All of them said they did not have any at the current price.....chris3

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 09:07:30 PM »
Physical silver and gold for delivery is substantially higher than the paper version.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 08:32:35 AM »
I only buy silver and gold at market peaks so mine is worth more than other people's silver and gold.
:rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »
I do, and ill probably be buying some this week, if my dealer has some, ill let the board know.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 07:40:12 PM »
Northwest Territorial Mint is quoting 2 weeks 4 weeks and delivering in 3 weeks.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon