Author Topic: Cutting off my wife (long)  (Read 3815 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Cutting off my wife (long)
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »
As you can see, you're not going to win this.  While you are trying to be all fair and nice about it, the clock is ticking and she still has access to bank accounts and credit.   So she can bankrupt you both, and by default you are the bad guy because "patriarchy". 

Since you are the villain anyway, just do what you gotta do.

After you lock everything down, try to find a Dave Ramsey "Financial Freedom" class (for both of you, even tho' you probably don't need it) and y'all also probably need a marriage counselor.  Good luck.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 02:48:51 PM »
My wife likes to spend money, well so do I but I'm a better saver.

We both work full time, have separate checking accounts/savings account/retirement accounts and we split the household bills according to our take home income. I make about 30% more than her, so I pay more $$ into common bills. We pay our own debts (credit cards, vehicles, vacations), we don't have any joint debts, that will probably change if we buy a house in our next move.

Occasionally we do pool money for a joint vacation envelope savings account.

We both got married when we were in our 30's so it was easier for us just manage out own money since we had lived independently for so long. This works for us.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 02:53:30 PM »
My wife likes to spend money, well so do I but I'm a better saver.

We both work full time, have separate checking accounts/savings account/retirement accounts and we split the household bills according to our take home income. I make about 30% more than her, so I pay more $$ into common bills. We pay our own debts (credit cards, vehicles, vacations), we don't have any joint debts, that will probably change if we buy a house in our next move.

Occasionally we do pool money for a joint vacation envelope savings account.

We both got married when we were in our 30's so it was easier for us just manage out own money since we had lived independently for so long. This works for us.

An ideal and very fair situation.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 07:44:56 PM »
Counseling.  The both of you, and now.  There's something driving her to this self destructive behavior.  Trust me, I know.  BTDT, got the Tee-Shirt.

The thing is shopping and buying release the "pleasure" brain chemicals.  So she's unhappy about something, and spends to make herself happy. 

And nothing you do will change it.  After paying off about $40k in credit card debt the third time, I had had enough.  She promised to change, she promised to stop spending and stop using credit cards.  Since I didn't pay the bills "The right way", she was going to be in charge of the money.  Fine.  I went "Cash Basis".   I carried no credit cards or debit bcards (can't use what you don't have).  They all were supposed to be locked in the file cabinet.  She had the check book, so I couldn't be accused of making anything bounce.  I packed my own lunches for work each day, unless I was being taken to lunch by a sales rep.  If I needed gas money, I had to ask her.  I carried $0 on me and would pride myself on how long I go without spending.  The only time I had the debit card was on Saturday when I went and bought groceries, from the list she made (many fights over "Why didn't you buy X?  "Because it wasn't on the list YOU made out.")

After ~4 years she had opened up three new charge cards, and run up the other two.  Total Credit Card debt: Over $85,000.    And not a dime of it was mine. 

Yeah, Counseling.  She has a problem and so do you.  If you think you can fix her or change it by putting her on an allowance, you are sadly mistaken.  All that will do is generate animosity between the two of you.   There's a problem and only by sitting down and talking with a outside, unbiased source will you figure out what it is and then be able to work together to solve it.  Any other course of action and you might as well hire attorneys and file for divorce right now.

Good luck.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Neemi

• friend
Re:
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 08:50:12 PM »
Another vote for counseling.

There's also a huge mommy blog world out there, if she'd like to use that as a support system of sorts. Either as a reader or a writer, it's a good way to keep lots of women (and men) accountable and involved. Maybe it could give her some ideas on things to save up for, too.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 01:31:44 AM »
Another vote for counseling.  Tomorrow is 2 days overdue.

Any "solution" that doesn't get legitimate and total buy in from her is bound to fail. 
Formerly sumpnz

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 02:29:54 AM »
Scout is right. Overspending is a symptom, and addressing it without addressing the root cause is doomed to failure. You may not be a significant direct contributor to overspending, but I'd be willing to wager you are a very significant contributor to the root cause. And that's even being generous and assuming your previous commentary supporting husbands raping their wives was in fact just a bad joke.

Get help.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 09:19:15 AM »
Scout pointed to it, and I'm following up.  For (too) many people, spending is a pleasure activity.  I've seen people who use shopping/spending as a means of self-medicating for mental health issues, especially depression.  Not the "I'm feeling down" kind of depression, but clinical depression.  In addition to counseling, a trip to the doc may be in order, and a possible medication evaluation.  Clinical depression is something that can be treated well with medication, and it can also be something that is addressed through relatively short term medication use.  Definitely worth looking into.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark