Author Topic: hardwood floor polish  (Read 919 times)

zahc

• friend
hardwood floor polish
« on: February 27, 2016, 10:36:23 PM »
My 2000-era house has whatever builder-grade hardwood floor. When I use murphys oil soap and scrub off all the residue that the Toddler Army tend to leave, I find that it's in decent shape but it's not shiny at all. I feel like once its clean, I should finish with some kind of wax or protective finish. I heard that shopping mall floors last literally forever because they wax them, and the wax is the only thing that wears. It's a good theory. So what do people suggest?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Andiron

• friend
Re: hardwood floor polish
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:51:02 PM »
Anything but hard wax oil.  *expletive deleted*ck that stuff.  Shows everything.  It scratches if you look at it funny.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 11:03:49 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 12:10:44 AM »
Hmm.  I specified satin oil-based polyurethane finish when we had our true hardwood floors refinished.  They stay satin, even if they get befouled.  Maybe yours are satin or flat(ter) finish to begin with?

Usually just vacuum them, but when I wet-mop, I use dilute pine oil cleaner.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 12:35:25 AM »
Anything but hard wax oil.  *expletive deleted*ck that stuff.  Shows everything.  It scratches if you look at it funny.
Huh? I finished our floor with nothing but Fidde's hard wax oil and it's been awesome. Looks fantastic and hasn't been any maintenance other than dust mop or vacuum in 6 years. Floor is antique oak barn beams milled and skip planed. It's a very hard durable finish. Expensive though.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 01:53:31 AM »
Just spray it down with Pam cooking spray. Use the organic olive oil  to keep it "natural" . Of course it'll be slicker than greased owl *expletive deleted*it on a glass door knob but it'll look *expletive deleted*ing marvelous.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 12:51:50 PM »
Huh? I finished our floor with nothing but Fidde's hard wax oil and it's been awesome. Looks fantastic and hasn't been any maintenance other than dust mop or vacuum in 6 years. Floor is antique oak barn beams milled and skip planed. It's a very hard durable finish. Expensive though.

http://www.amazon.com/OSMO-Polyx-Hard-Wax-Liter/dp/B003Q9R3RA

This is the stuff we use.  Scratching from dog claws and daily traffic was so bad that after 2 years I re sanded the whole mess and tried again,  on the off chance that I had applied it wrong the first time.  Same result.  Not thrilled with the Osmo brand.

Oh,  floor is new tongue and grove black walnut. 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 03:20:22 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/OSMO-Polyx-Hard-Wax-Liter/dp/B003Q9R3RA

This is the stuff we use.  Scratching from dog claws and daily traffic was so bad that after 2 years I re sanded the whole mess and tried again,  on the off chance that I had applied it wrong the first time.  Same result.  Not thrilled with the Osmo brand.

Oh,  floor is new tongue and grove black walnut. 

Not wax, but to prevent dog nail scratches you can A) keep the nails ground short, rather than cut short and B) cover the nails with soft plastic tips. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1408 We have a few customers that have gone over to using these things and they like them.
Also, the colored ones provide a better reminder to keep the nails maintained in the first place.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 03:32:37 PM »
I helped my father lay hardwood tongue and groove flooring in his living room and we put down gym grade poly...need to find a good wax for it though
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 03:48:43 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!