Author Topic: Forced bood draws if you refuse breathalyzer.  (Read 6857 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Forced bood draws if you refuse breathalyzer.
« on: June 29, 2013, 10:31:14 PM »
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/video?clipId=9037543&autostart=true

Imagine a country where you're pulled out of your vehicle and then STRAPPED to a gurney while a bunch of armed men hold you down and a have your blood drawn.

No warrant, no due process. They do get a warrant, sorry, didn't hear that the first time through.

It looks like someone being made ready for lethal injection.

In the past we would have laughed at that country. Today it's us.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 10:40:22 PM by Warren »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Forced bood draws if you refuse breathalyzer.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 10:55:17 PM »
while a bunch of armed men hold you down

I don't believe they are armed. Batons, cuffs, etc, but they don't appear to be armed, at least with a gun. Which is how I take "armed men".

Blow, consent to blood draw, or have a warrant. Do I have a problem with this, not really. I am very happy to see them restrained. As a nurse, I would refuse to draw their blood if they aren't 100% cooperative, or restrained. My safety margin against a needle stick is set pretty high. And yes, I have drawn blood on drunks in the past, but always with cooperation.

If the sheriff is following the law, then I guess someone needs to attempt to get the law changed, that is the way it usually works.

I actually have much more grief over LEOs running roadblock specifically targeting motorcyclists. With a drunk, there is at least a little bit of reasonable suspicion they are breaking the law.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 11:25:10 PM »
What an interesting topic.  Back in 1982, I got my nose broken by a suspected DUI upon whom I was doing a blood draw at Harborview.  It was a middle-aged guy in a suit who gave consent and everything.  As soon as I poked him with the Vacutainer, he said 'Ow!' and hauled off and punched me right in the nose.

It varies amongst healthcare providers whether they feel it is ethical to do a forced blood draw without consent based upon a court order.  Some will and some won't.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 11:29:06 PM »
Nooz? Texas has been at this *expletive deleted*it for a while.  Tell me again how much more free Texas is.....I punch you!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BobR

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 11:31:17 PM »
Texas not free!!! No open carry!!!!   :P   ;)   

bob

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 07:27:19 AM »
Texas not free!!! No open carry!!!!   :P   ;)   

bob

:lol:

Don't forget that a CHL will cost you over $200 when you add it all together.  Yeah, that's awesome.  :facepalm:

I like it here, don't get me wrong.  But it's not the bastion of personal freedom that some pretend it is.  No refusals is a prime example. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 08:50:36 AM »

:lol:

Don't forget that a CHL will cost you over $200 when you add it all together.  Yeah, that's awesome.  :facepalm:

$200?  Oh, if only!

Under the first and only ever passed in living memory CCW bill here, we're looking at $150 for the permit after 16 hours training.  I figure, for someone starting from nothing (half the coursework can be grandfathered from something else.  Maybe.  Depend on what's actually approved.), $400 - $500.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 11:36:57 AM »
AZ is the same.

Interestingly, in AZ... if you have a CCW, you HAVE to consent to either breathylizer or blood draw on the side of the road if pulled over on suspicion (or else you lose your CCW).  But if you don't have a CCW, you can hold out for a warrant.

How's that for awesome?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 11:44:11 AM »
What they do here in Texas is have a judge or magistrate handy.  No refusal weekends, they set up roadblocks and get warrants signed on the spot.  Nothing says police state like a roadblock and being forced to provide evidence that could be used to charge you with a crime....
JD

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 11:52:30 AM »
AZ is the same.

Interestingly, in AZ... if you have a CCW, you HAVE to consent to either breathylizer or blood draw on the side of the road if pulled over on suspicion (or else you lose your CCW).  But if you don't have a CCW, you can hold out for a warrant.

Probably one of the concessions made for the permit. When I got mine, I recall there were several things it lets you do that you can't with constitutional carry. Most of them were so minor that I can't remember them, but the one that I reckon most people would use a lot would be the ability to enter establishments with booze in them, so I could easily see a concession to the libs in the legislature for mandatory breathalyzer in exchange for carrying where there is alcohol.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

agricola

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 12:02:31 PM »
That seems a daft law. 

Over here, refusal to blow is an offence (at the side of the road it will get you arrested, a refusal at the custody office gets you charged).  You can elect to have blood taken (instead of the answer that the machine comes up with), but only if the proportion indicated by the breathalyser is between 40 and 50 mg (the legal limit is 35, 35-39 is considered within the margin of error) and the sample is always taken by a doctor and never by force.   
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 12:57:28 PM »
I've no sympathy for drunk drivers, but I have even less sympathy for those who wish to perform an invasive medical procedure by force.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 02:12:08 PM »
What is the alternative, under current law, if they refuse to blow or have blood drawn? Lose their license for 1 year, big deal, I would wager most who refuse are familiar with the law, because they have been in the DUI boat before. In some cases, the loss of a DL for a year could be the less severe of possible punishments. I drew a guy 9 times in 2 years on the rez, a few days in the local lock-up, DL suspended, and he went on his merry way, to re-offend.

If you don't want to require blood or breath analysis, especially under duress (force), then insist the legislators give the laws some teeth. Make it significant if they refuse. Something that tips the bar in favor of compliance, rather than refusal.

Or we could adopt the Japanese model, 0.03% limit, even the passengers can be ticketed for riding with a drunk driver. The Japanese police have this "wand" they stick in the car, and if it goes off, you are essentially screwed. Enough people wearing cheap aftershave can set it off. If you refuse to have a blood draw in Japan, you can go to prison for 3 years and face a 4k+ fine.

Personally, I would not care if every drunk driver wrapped their car around a tree or tried to take out a bridge abutment at high speed. But they don't, it is often innocent bystanders, like the family heading home from an outing, who get whacked by the drunk (no stats kept, but appx 15K people killed per year in drunk driving accidents). A very good friend of mine spent 14 days in ICU, multiple years in recovery, and was grounded from flying when he was hit broadside by a drunk about 0400 one morning. He was on his way in to preflight and the drunk blew through a red light. His BAC was 0.28. He got to plead down to a lesser charge, rather than go to jail where he belonged.

So, for me personally, it they want to shove a trocar into a drunks liver to get blood, I am OK with that.

So, let's make refusal have consequences, enough that it is better to have a blood draw than to refuse.

But, IMO, that will never happen.

bob

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 02:19:23 PM »
How about we just make more severe penalties for actually hurting someone  ???

Like automatic life in prison for causing a fatality accident while intoxicated, etc.

Five years for an injury accident and no DL for life.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 02:29:54 PM »
I am very leery of punishing folks and violating their person before they have caused harm to another.  Heck, I am leery of any procedure for any reason that violates the integrity of a man's body even if they did injure another.  Too much like being forced to testify against yourself.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 03:20:47 PM »

So, for me personally, it they want to shove a trocar into a drunks liver to get blood, I am OK with that.

bob

The problem with that line of thinking is that you are assuming guilt automatically.  We have this whole presumption of innocence thing, courts, etc.
Just sayin.
JD

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 03:47:49 PM »
The problem with that line of thinking is that you are assuming guilt automatically.  We have this whole presumption of innocence thing, courts, etc.
Just sayin.

Stop with the crazy-talk.  You're scaring the straights.

Quote from: Radical Notion
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

And really, what is more personal than your bodily tissues?

Quote from: More radical notions
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 03:51:00 PM by Roo_ster »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 04:38:12 PM »
So if not by blood draw how would you have the police determine if a driver is intoxicated or not? Though the whole forced blood draw thing does seem to scream fifth amendment violation. I'd be curious to see how much oversight there is on the warrants issued for the draws and how much of a rubber stamp parade they are.
Look, tiny text!

agricola

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 04:57:31 PM »
So if not by blood draw how would you have the police determine if a driver is intoxicated or not? Though the whole forced blood draw thing does seem to scream fifth amendment violation. I'd be curious to see how much oversight there is on the warrants issued for the draws and how much of a rubber stamp parade they are.

Again, over here the relevant bit of our legislation deals with this point by making the police officers opinion of no real weight - the officer either has to believe that a moving traffic violation has occured, or that there are reasonable grounds to suspect the driver has been drinking.  The actual evidence either way comes from the breathalyzer, which either proves that the driver isnt over the limit, or suggests that they are and the further test is done at the station after arrest. 
"Make peace, you fools"

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 05:10:03 PM »

What offense has really been committed by driving intoxicated?  Until you hurt someone or damage property? 
Evidence collection is not my problem. It's the courts problem.  And I will always err on the side of personal liberty vs. the government or the courts when it comes to something like this.

FWIW, According to this site, DUI's account for 1/3 of traffic fatalities. 
http://www.centurycouncil.org/drunk-driving/drunk-driving-fatalities-national-statistics

By the way, you have just as much of a chance of being accidentally poisoned as you do killed in an MVA
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/acc-inj.htm
26,000 people fall to death each year, which is more than are killed in DUI accidents.

JD

agricola

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 05:17:24 PM »
26,000 people fall to death each year, which is more than are killed in DUI accidents.

there are laws about gravity, though

*gets coat*
"Make peace, you fools"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
there are laws about gravity, though

*gets coat*

Newton was an Englishman.  >:D

I thought we fought a war to get rid of that stuff ?   :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 07:52:20 PM »
What offense has really been committed by driving intoxicated?  Until you hurt someone or damage property? 
Evidence collection is not my problem. It's the courts problem.  And I will always err on the side of personal liberty vs. the government or the courts when it comes to something like this.
I guess you could call it aggravated stupidity. We don't allow people to fire guns off into the air at random because you can't control or know where the bullets will land. Driving drunk is fairly similar, you can't tell where your car will end up or control it properly when drunk.

Again, over here the relevant bit of our legislation deals with this point by making the police officers opinion of no real weight - the officer either has to believe that a moving traffic violation has occured, or that there are reasonable grounds to suspect the driver has been drinking.  The actual evidence either way comes from the breathalyzer, which either proves that the driver isnt over the limit, or suggests that they are and the further test is done at the station after arrest. 
Can you physically force someone to take a breathalyzer?
Look, tiny text!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »
I just love how accidents are caused by drivers with 0.20++ bac so the solution is to lower the limit to 0.08 or lower  ;/

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2013, 08:39:48 PM »
It's the same logic that in an apartment I lived in someone was doing something to get the washers and dryers to work without putting money in them and the guy who owned the machines announced that he was going to raise the price.

Of course this would do nothing to address the problem as regardless of the price it's still free to the thief and it punishes the innocent. Brilliant. He relented when my wife told him that if he did raise the price it would then be worth it for her to drive the laundry a few blocks and use the laundromat. F'ing marginal utility, how does it work?   (Not that she was aware of the name of the concept).

As to this issue, there has been a long train of of abuses and usurpations in the rights of individuals in their persons and as potential entrepreneurs that have eliminated effective voluntary means of preventing intoxicated driving. One such abuse would be to so strangle inter-city transportation business models in mercantilistic regulations that choices are reduced and prices increased so that traveling by personal vehicle is preferable even if a person knows they will be drinking.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.