Author Topic: The NSA is writing code for the Android OS now  (Read 1702 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: The NSA is writing code for the Android OS now
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 07:18:54 AM »
i'm not sure what the "smart' ones think, but if they can get to blow up when you dial a terrorists number........ =D

i'm assuming this is more than the cell listening that was reported on 5-6 years ago?  we still seem to be as accepting of our lack of privacy.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 07:27:28 AM »
Cell phone networks, and the devices on them, are so insecure that it really does not matter if the NSA is actually writing code
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »
Attempting to be secure in your person and belongings is evidence of suspicious behavior these days, what are ya trying to hide? You a terrorist or something?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 09:22:25 AM »
Does not surprise. Didn't the NSA actually release their own Linux (SELinux)?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 09:31:34 AM »
Dig down in the link.  It's actually SELinux they're talking about. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 01:31:08 PM »
What think the smart folks of APS?

Complete and utter bovine excrement. I actually mean that. All of the negative assertations are false.

The original "NSA backdoor" in Windows was the whole "NSAkey" thing. Basically, Microsoft made their OS, sent it to NSA to be reviewed for security improvements.

NSA: "You did do a split key, right? So no one person can backdoor Windows by knowing the whole key?"
Microsoft: "Nooo..?" 
NSA: "Alright. Generate a new key. Have half signed by person A, half signed by person B. Don't let them share info." (highly boiled down)
Microsoft: "Ok".  And names the new key NSAKey, spawning legions of conspiracy theories.

Cue forward.

NSA makes something (actually, pays others to make) SE Linux, which is a cluster of mechanisms for supporting access control security policies. The Windows version is NTFS and Group Policy (kinda, sorta, not a direct parallel). Unix/Linux has been seriously lacking in that area (no joke).

Android is Linux based. NSA ported over the security code. And is working on their own security focused distro of Android, which is open source.  ALL of the NSA code is open source, open for scrutiny and worked on by multiple organizations.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 01:42:22 PM »
Umm... the code is open source.  It's hard to hide something in software when you release the source code for public review.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 01:43:34 PM »
Not worried about NSA contributions to Linux kernel, here.

It's peer reviewed by the global kernel development community.  Yes, they "could" slip something in if the volunteer dev community slacks off.  But I doubt it would last long, and would have such a negative backlash against US FedGuv that we would lose standing and be regarded like the Norks.  Also, inserting security vulnerabilities into open source code ends up opening those security vulnerabilities to anyone who can read the code, not just the NSA.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »
It's hard to hide something in software when you release the source code for public review.

No it's not; it's very easy to hide something in software, regardless. If it was easy to read, they wouldn't call it "code". There are a limited number of kernel hackers that work on the Linux kernel; most of them work in a specific area to implement specific functionality and are not auditing the entire 15 million lines of code in the kernel. It would be very possible to get backdoors in the Linux kernel.

Public review should also eliminate bugs. Does anyone believe there are not bugs in the Linux kernel? Heck, out of the KNOWN bugs that are in Linux kernel, how long were they in there before someone found them? A talented programmer can write something that appears to be legitimate, which can be harder to find that an outright bug.

http://www.ioccc.org/

And this is all assuming that the topical backdoors/vulnerabilities are injected the source code level. It's just as likely that they would be in compilers, or binary device drivers. Do you really know what's in that 200MB NVIDIA driver you installed with root permissions?

http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/712.fall02/papers/p761-thompson.pdf
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 04:23:10 PM »
No it's not; it's very easy to hide something in software, regardless. If it was easy to read, they wouldn't call it "code". There are a limited number of kernel hackers that work on the Linux kernel; most of them work in a specific area to implement specific functionality and are not auditing the entire 15 million lines of code in the kernel. It would be very possible to get backdoors in the Linux kernel.

Public review should also eliminate bugs. Does anyone believe there are not bugs in the Linux kernel? Heck, out of the KNOWN bugs that are in Linux kernel, how long were they in there before someone found them? A talented programmer can write something that appears to be legitimate, which can be harder to find that an outright bug.

http://www.ioccc.org/

And this is all assuming that the topical backdoors/vulnerabilities are injected the source code level. It's just as likely that they would be in compilers, or binary device drivers. Do you really know what's in that 200MB NVIDIA driver you installed with root permissions?

http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/712.fall02/papers/p761-thompson.pdf

As long as you record who did the submits, you can backtrace it to whomever is responsible. And most projects tend to glance over submitted patches. It's not impossible to backdoor open source software. Extremely obfuscated code SHOULD get a very hairy eyeball.   It's very hard to backdoor open source software in an anonymous, deniable manner.

Flawless? Hardly. But again, once you do find the backdoor, you can locate and correct the issue much more easily.

Backdoors occasionally can exist in the wild for a long time, especially in closed source embedded devices. But, when used, they can become noticed in short order. There are too many different combinations of switches, firewalls, and IDS's to be able to pull a Thompson on all of them. Thus, even if Cisco hardware or IOS is compromised, it doesn't mean the Linux server running snort is. All that's necessary is to block the path once in the chain leading from the compromised device back to the controller, and the access is cut off.  Not a big deal if the backdoor is used to brick the device, but a very big deal if you're trying to be surreptitious and have ongoing activities.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 04:38:11 PM »
Umm... the code is open source.  It's hard to hide something in software when you release the source code for public review.

http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html

Been done, but the "perp" was in a very special place and time to do it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »
Government agencies are notoriously incompetent.  I'm just trying to figure out how they could write software that works  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »
http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html

Been done, but the "perp" was in a very special place and time to do it.

zahc linked to it already. And original corrupt compiler was identified and quarantined. So yes, it happened, but it was still identified. It's nice to get super awesome proof of theoretical concept malware into a PC. Keeping it in the wild is a bit more complex.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 08:43:06 PM »
This story, if truth, is moot as it is has been unnecessary for the NSA to do what they do with cellphones since before smart phones.

If you really want to be secure regarding someone not using your phone as a listening or tracking device, but don't want to leave it at home, then: Remove the battery, leave the battery and phone in a small faraday cage.