Author Topic: The NY Times article that Right-wing terrorists are more deadly than Muslim...  (Read 683 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/25/us/tally-of-attacks-in-us-challenges-perceptions-of-top-terror-threat.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

According to this, white supremacists, anti-government activists and other non-Muslim extremists have almost twice the death toll of Muslim extremists in attacks in the USA since 9/11.  Huh.

Which MillCreek linked to in the Charleston thread.

Unsurprisingly, even getting past my first problem with the study (which Ms. McCardle nicely notes to begin with), the authors were VERY stringent about who was an Islamic Terrorist but a lot more lax about who was "Right-Wing". Almost as though they had an agenda and a desired outcome...

Ms. McCardle does the work I didn't want to do and goes in a case-by-case search of the study (with less than 90 total dead, that was likely not that time consuming).

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-06-30/tallying-right-wing-terror-vs-jihad

End result? Even with ignoring the massive terror attack that dwarfed by orders of magnitude everything else, the numbers for "right-wing" terrorists and Islamic terrorists are comparable.

What she does not go into is a discussion about percentages of the population... but that's another matter.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
They don't count Hassan and Malvo?  :facepalm:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
Yes, let's exclude 9/11!   :facepalm:

brimic

• friends
Pretty meaningless...
Study the number of murders done by 'terrorists' in poor metropolitan neighborhoods and you'll find that the yearly killings in any city dwarf those done by muslim or right win extremists over the last 13 years total.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Blakenzy

• friend
Terrorist is what they name you when they can't be bothered by due process.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Well, if you cherry pick your data carefully enough, Italian anarchists are the most dangerous terrorist group in America.