Author Topic: Fly Behavior by State  (Read 19 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Fly Behavior by State
« on: Today at 10:25:42 AM »
So I guess stupid fly season is starting here with the warm weather (we're hitting the 80s now) coming in. While being attacked by flies on patrol this morning, I got to thinking about how much different the fly behavior is here in Idaho versus back in CA.

In CA, while somewhat annoying, the flies would take the hint after you swatted at them a few times and go away for a while. When they did try to land on you, it always seemed like they were sneaky about it, trying to lightly land on you without you noticing it. Here in Idaho, they are little %$&*# bastards. It's like they're Kamikaze flies. They let you know when they land on you, and when you swat them away, they come back like a bullet out of a rifle and smack into you. And not just anywhere - always in the head area, with ears and eyes being favorite targets.

I really hate Idaho flies and cannot wait for the freezing weather to come back. What are the flies like in your state?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Fly Behavior by State
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:37:17 AM »
Here in Virginia we have house flies, which are really annoying, but not really obnoxious.

We also have gnats on the east coast, which are REALLY annoying. They're tiny, swarm around your face, and try to get in your mouth and nose and eyes.

We also have horse flies, which are like house flies but a LOT larger. And a LOT more obnoxious. And they bite. And when they bite, it hurts like HELL. Fortunately they are more in the country and not in urban areas.

In Pennsylvania we had all of the above, but we also had something called pine flies. Not sure if they were actually pine flies or not, but when they bit? It was like an mini nuke going off at the site of the bite. INCREDIBLY painful.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.