Author Topic: Crock Pot recipes  (Read 4763 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Crock Pot recipes
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:09:22 PM »
I'm trying this one

Crockpot Chicken and Vegetables (Mississippi Mud Style)
 Please remember to share if you would like to save the recipe.
 Ingredients:
 Two boneless skinless chicken breasts
 3 cups whole green beans (fresh)
 5 medium red potatoes (cut up in chunks)
 1 package dry ranch dressing mix
 1 package dry chicken gravy mix
 1/2 stick butter
 1/3 cup water
 Directions:
 Wash and place green beans on one side of the Crockpot. Place cut potatoes on the other side and the chicken in the center. Mix together the Dry Mixes and Sprinkle evenly over the chicken. Place the 1/2 of butter on top. Slowly pour water on vegetables (not chicken). Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours until chicken is done and tender.

I got the pot loaded up in the fridge and put in on low tomorrow before I go to work.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Crock Pot recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:31:38 PM »
My wife made Crock Pot gumbo the other day and it ROCKED! I'll see if I can pry the recipe from her.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:41:26 PM »
My pulled pork usually goes over well.

Take a 3lb pork roast and put it in a crock pot with 12oz of root beer.  Cook for 6-8 hours on low.  Drain and separate.  Mix in the BBQ sauce.

I do think it usually goes over well because I make my own mustard BBQ sauce* which people find preferable to the ketchup based stuff heathen devil worshiping child molesters push upon this world**.

*: I have no consistent recipe.  I just Google something up and make it.
**: But I have strong opinions about mustard BBQ being better than ketchup BBQ.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:50:06 PM »
I suspect, no matter how you cook a crock pot, it shall remain unpleasantly tough.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:54:47 PM »

Take a 3lb pork roast and put it in a crock pot with 12oz of root beer.  Cook for 6-8 hours on low.  Drain and separate.  Mix in the BBQ sauce.

I do think it usually goes over well because I make my own mustard BBQ sauce* which people find preferable to the ketchup based stuff heathen devil worshiping child molesters push upon this world**.

Two thumbs up on the pork prep.

(I just use bought BBQ sauce)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:38:20 PM »
Kalua Pork

One 3-4 pund pork butt

1 tablespoon red Hawaiian salt ( or coarse ground salt)

1 Tablespoon liquid smoke.

Pierce the pork butt with a knife to about 1'2" all over.

Rub with salt

Place in crock pot

Pour the liquid smoke over the pork

Turn the crock pot on low and cook for 9 hours, flip the meat over and cook for another 9 hours.

Take it  out, shred it, pour some of the liquid from the crockpot over it, eat it.

Share with friends and wow them. I usually serve with white rice and a cucumber/papaya salad (google it).

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 10:41:41 PM »
???  You left out the Kahlúa.
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 10:45:23 PM »
???  You left out the Kahlúa.

I also didn't use the imu to cook it.

So much for tradition!?!?!!?

;)

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 11:01:38 PM »
Not exactly a crock pot recipe, only because I haven't figured out yet how to *cook* it in the crockpot (probably overnight on LOW would do it)  I assemble it in Wife's enormous crock pot's removable liner and bake it in the oven the night before church potlucks.  Then set the crockpot to LOW during church to reheat it.

I started with this recipe:  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/sour-cream-noodle-bake/

But I changed it all up, of course.  I brown a pound of ground meat; usually use 1/2 bulk breakfast sausage (not the maple kind) and 1/2 ground turkey.  Add 2 jars (or 2 cans of Hunt's) spaghetti sauce, and a little oregano and red pepper flakes.  Set aside.

Cook a pound of bowtie pasta until al dente.  Drain but do not rinse.  While still hot, add a pint of real sour cream onion dip (I use Aldi's) and a 24 oz carton of cottage cheese, and some fresh ground pepper.  Stir it all up; it'll be kind of soupy from the whey that weeps out of the cottage cheese, but that's okay.

Put half the noodle mixture in the crock pot (or a deep lasagna pan), then half the meat sauce, then the rest of the noodles, and lastly the rest of the meat sauce.  Bake until it's done -- I have no idea how long that is, but everything is fully cooked already; I'm mainly just heating it through sufficiently that it's safe to leave sitting out (covered) all night.  Top with a little grated mozzarella or provolone cheese about 5 minutes before you take it out of the oven.

I don't know how many servings it makes, but it's a lot.  It looks and tastes kinda like lasagna but it's easier to make and easier to serve.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 08:17:51 AM »
Not exactly a crock pot recipe, only because I haven't figured out yet how to *cook* it in the crockpot (probably overnight on LOW would do it)  I assemble it in Wife's enormous crock pot's removable liner and bake it in the oven the night before church potlucks.  Then set the crockpot to LOW during church to reheat it.

I started with this recipe:  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/sour-cream-noodle-bake/

But I changed it all up, of course.  I brown a pound of ground meat; usually use 1/2 bulk breakfast sausage (not the maple kind) and 1/2 ground turkey.  Add 2 jars (or 2 cans of Hunt's) spaghetti sauce, and a little oregano and red pepper flakes.  Set aside.

Cook a pound of bowtie pasta until al dente.  Drain but do not rinse.  While still hot, add a pint of real sour cream onion dip (I use Aldi's) and a 24 oz carton of cottage cheese, and some fresh ground pepper.  Stir it all up; it'll be kind of soupy from the whey that weeps out of the cottage cheese, but that's okay.

Put half the noodle mixture in the crock pot (or a deep lasagna pan), then half the meat sauce, then the rest of the noodles, and lastly the rest of the meat sauce.  Bake until it's done -- I have no idea how long that is, but everything is fully cooked already; I'm mainly just heating it through sufficiently that it's safe to leave sitting out (covered) all night.  Top with a little grated mozzarella or provolone cheese about 5 minutes before you take it out of the oven.

I don't know how many servings it makes, but it's a lot.  It looks and tastes kinda like lasagna but it's easier to make and easier to serve.

Sounds tasty, not sure you can crockpot this from start to finish because of the noodles and dairy. Also becareful about baking in the crock a friend of mine did that and the crock cracked in the oven from the heat, wasn't the first time he did but probably 20 or so times later baking with it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 09:22:14 AM »
Quick and easy crock pot chicken and veggies

Package of thighs package of drumsticks
a couple red potoatoes cut into chunks
handful of baby carrots, or a couple full carrots cut into chunks
half an onion, sliced
a couple celery sticks
1 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp minced garlic
large bottle bbq sauce

Dump in the veggies and then the chicken.  Cover with BBQ sauce, then add garlic and pepper.  Cook on low for about 8 hours.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 09:53:22 AM »
My favorite easy recipe (you'll have lots of leftovers unless you are feeding an army... or a teenage boy)

Crock Pot Salsa Chicken

4-5 Chicken breasts (Boneless, skinless)
1 Can of beans, drained and rinsed (I like adding two cans, generally pinto and black)
1 can of corn, drained
8 oz salsa
1 block of cream cheese
Lime juice

Put the above into the crock pot. Generously sprinkle the lime juice all over it.

Cook on low, 6-8 hours. Stir infrequently. Half hour or an hour before serving, take tongs and crush all the chicken, and mix.

Serve over rice and/or on a tortilla as a burrito. Add fresh tomatoes and lettuce or cheese or sour cream.

It is also excellent as leftovers. I particularly like putting it on top of tortilla chips with some cheese and then briefly baked to create nachos.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 11:34:57 AM »
Been using the crock pot / slow cooker a lot the last few months, what with SWMBO into crossfit and paleo.

Chicken
Whole chicken, rinsed off and patted dry.
Brown/sear chicken in big pot on stovetop in olive oil, corn oil (anything BUT canola/soy/general veggie oil which are tools of hte Devil).  This enhances the flavor a lot.
Packet of taco seasoning inside bird, packet outside bird.
Chopped up onion & bell pepper inside bird, same outside bird.
No extra liquid.
Chopped up liver, heart, gizzard outside of bird.
Slow cooked on low or high for usual times (6-8/3-4 hours)
Remove bird bits from crock pot.  Maybe onions & pepper, too.  Depends if you want them with the rice or chicken meat.
Measure out remaining liquid and bump up with water to some whole-cup volume.  Preferably even-number of cups.  Can stretch this, as the liquid is super-packed with flavor.  Put back into slow cooker.
Toss in half as much uncooked white rice as liquid into slow cooker and give it 2-3 hours on low to cook rice.

Now you have yummy chicken meat and some of the best damned mexican rice you can imagine.  Use for tacos or whatever.  The rice will be spicier than the chicken.  My son just about devours the rice.  It has never lasted more than twelve hours from Done! to Gone!.

Similar method can be used for beef, pork, and lamb or different spice/veggie combos.  Sometimes use the liquid for gravy.

"Boneless" leg of lamb done medium-well was a BIG hit.
Boneless leg of lamb, seared on stove top using plenty of olive oil.
Watch cook time, because you don't want it super-done.  I am not a fan of rare lamb, but I also don't want it "falling off the (virtual) bone."  I want it firm enough to slice.  Can also cook in oven.
If you have fresh garlic, slit the leg and shove in whole cloves of garlic.  Use a whole head if you like.  If garlic powder or dehydrated chopped, use liberally.
Salt and cracked pepper.
Stick of butter on top of hte whole deal.
Cook till med-well (my preferred).

Remove from liquid.  Place liquid into pot/pan.
Shake up plenty of flour with hot water in a mason jar.  Use enough water to extend the upcoming gravy, if necessary and to dilute the liquid fat.  Do not drain off fat unless you are a gawdless commie.
Bring liquid to boil on stove top with medium heat and then stir in flour/water mix, constantly stirring.
Bring to boil at medium heat, stirring.
Take off heat.  Stir it some more .

Can serve with veggies and taters of whatever sort: mashed, roasted, etc.

Lambwiches
Leftover lamb done this way is my daughter's favorite.  She is tiny and a light eater, but will stuff herself like a tick on this.
Gently, using 50% power or so, warm up full-diameter slices of boneless leg in microwave.
Warm up gravy.
Using a fresh sliced roll (smaller in diameter to cooked boneless leg of lamb, as too much roll makes Julia Child's ghost cry) assemble roll, gravy, lamb slice, salt, pepper.
This will be messy good.  And messy.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 11:46:31 AM »
Chilli Verde

4-6 lbs pork shoulder diced into 1" cubes
-trim the fat as best you can
bunch of tomatillos
bunch of pasilla and/or Anaheim chilli peppers
handful of jalapenos
ground cumin
cilantro
garlic
cayenne pepper
aqave syrup or something else sweet
salt
1 diced yellow onion
chicken broth

peel the tomatillos and wash them
wash and seed the peppers

Roast both in the oven or on the grill
Peel the roasted peppers (optional)

Run the peppers and tomatillos through a blender or food processor to a puree

Throw it all in the crock pot for the day until the pork is tender.

If it ends up being too wet, no worries.  Reserve the extra liquid and use as enchilada sauce.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:20:41 PM by 41magsnub »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 11:53:18 AM »
Bunch of chicken. Doesn't matter what, but I usually use an assortment. Skin on.

Half a cup of olive oil. Not extra virgin, the kind that can take heat.

40 or more peeled garlic cloves, whole.

Salt the chicken, then sear it on all sides. Move it to the crock pot, alternating layers (if you have that much chicken) with the garlic cloves and drizzling with olive oil.

Add pepper and other spices to your liking while building the layers.

Cook on high or low, doesn't matter, until the chicken is tender.

To serve, scoop the chicken onto a platter along garlic cloves.

Put the into a bowl or pitcher.

Serve with a crusty French or Italian bread. Spread some oil on the bread, then spread on one of the cloves.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 12:03:06 PM »
Sounds tasty, not sure you can crockpot this from start to finish because of the noodles and dairy. Also becareful about baking in the crock a friend of mine did that and the crock cracked in the oven from the heat, wasn't the first time he did but probably 20 or so times later baking with it.

I'll be making it again Saturday night.  I think I'll heat the noodles and cheese on top of the stove this time, and also heat the meat sauce back to boiling -- so it all goes in the dish fully hot instead of just really warm.  Still don't know if it's really crockpot-able all the way.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 12:10:42 PM »
Charby's crockpot Cajun beans

1 package of HamBeens Cajun 15 bean soup http://www.hurstbeans.com/recipes/283/Hursts-HamBeens-Cajun-15-Bean-Soup
1 whole onion
2 lbs of meat (I usually use low fat meat, like wild game)
1 big can of died tomatoes (don't drain)
2-3 whole garlic cloves
cayenne powder to taste

Soak the beans over night in plenty of water, takes about 10-12 hours.

Sauté/brown the meat with onion and garlic, I usually do this the night before and put in the crock pot with tomatoes, cayenne and spice packet in the beans, stash in the fridge.

In the morning rinse the beans well, put into the crockpot with the rest of the ingredients, stir and put on low for 8-10 hours. Stir when you get home from work and stir again before serving.

Uranus is a gas giant.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 06:17:08 PM »
Chef Terry's Generic Crock-Pot Recipe (replaces all previous):

Foodstuff A + Foodstuff B + Foodstuff X + Foodstuff M > into crockpot.

Foostuff M = Meat of choice, preferably seared with Berz propane torch.

Foosdstuff X = Extra Foodstuff as whim or will desires.

Spice A + Spice B > into crockpot.

Add extra if Foodstuff A or B is potatoes.

Meatstock of Foodstuff M + Water > into crockpot (optional or as necessary)

Crockpot 110V plug > into wall socket.

Set Crockpot heat to low.

Wait 6-10 hours.

Crockpot contents > into Mouths A, B, C, and D.

Bery simple, bery easy.

Chef Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 06:50:29 PM »
I'm trying this one

Crockpot Chicken and Vegetables (Mississippi Mud Style)
 Please remember to share if you would like to save the recipe.
 Ingredients:
 Two boneless skinless chicken breasts
 3 cups whole green beans (fresh)
 5 medium red potatoes (cut up in chunks)
 1 package dry ranch dressing mix
 1 package dry chicken gravy mix
 1/2 stick butter
 1/3 cup water
 Directions:
 Wash and place green beans on one side of the Crockpot. Place cut potatoes on the other side and the chicken in the center. Mix together the Dry Mixes and Sprinkle evenly over the chicken. Place the 1/2 of butter on top. Slowly pour water on vegetables (not chicken). Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours until chicken is done and tender.

I got the pot loaded up in the fridge and put in on low tomorrow before I go to work.

Turned out awesome, might be a stretch to feed 4 people out of it unless you have small appetites.

Uranus is a gas giant.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 09:17:42 PM »
Crock Pot Gumbo:
1. Get a smoked Turkey legs. 2 of them. Any kind of protein. Boil that all the stove. Take off the bone. Keep the liquid.
2. Sauté 1 large onion & 1/2 bell pepper. Add garlic,onion, salt & pepper.
3. Put a bag of Smokehouse brand Gumbo base. It had rice and everything in it.
4. Put everything in your crockpot. Add any other meat you have. Add seafood just before you serve. Add all of the liquid. Taste it. You might need to add seasoning. Add 1 Cn of diced tomatoes seasoned with garlic, oregano.

Cook on Low for 7 hours
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 10:23:15 AM »

We did something very similar earlier in the week. Ours differed in a couple aspects:
12oz of ginger beer, because that's what we had in the house.
Add 1 large chopped onion.
After 6-8 hours remove the pork and onion, drain off the liquid. Put the pork and onion back in the crock, shred pork, add bbq sauce. Cook for another hour on low.

I really like the onion in the mix. I think it was a Vidalia or Walla Walla sweet this time.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 10:48:38 AM »
Easy one

3 lbs pork roast.  I usually use a shoulder.
1-16 oz can of hot salsa.

Add pork and salsa,  cook 6-8 hours on low. 

Great by itself or over mac and cheese.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.