Author Topic: Another kind of invasion  (Read 759 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Another kind of invasion
« on: October 20, 2018, 09:24:53 PM »
Coming soon to a United States near you?

https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursuits/vancouver-is-drowning-in-chinese-money#gs.N=PRX9Y

Vancouver being taken over (economically) by Chinese money. It's only a matter of time before it becomes obvious that the same thing is happening here, and by the time our politicians recognize it ... it'll be too late.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Another kind of invasion
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 10:36:37 PM »
China doesn't have the money to "take over" here.

They could take over a city, but is that really a loss?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 10:49:00 PM »
1.  I seem to recall the same concerns when the Japanese were buying up everything and anything in the 1980's.  Whatever happened with that ??

2.  If they want to buy American cities, there are several that I would be willing to give a good price on.

3.  The reason they are buying as much of whatever they can outside the PRC, is because they fear the collape of the Chinese economy or the collapse of the PRC or both.   They are simply moving their assets beyond the reach of the Chinese government.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 11:35:35 PM »
Since BC imposed the 20% surcharge on foreign buyers of Vancouver homes, the sale of Seattle-area homes to mainland Chinese has soared.  Most of the activity is in the affluent eastside suburbs of Seattle: Bellevue, Kirkland and Redmond, home to Microsoft, Google and a host of dot coms. 

Many of the high-end real estate brokers in the area now advertise Mandarin-speaking staff and advertise in mainland China.  Many people buy a house for their teenage children, who attend Eastside schools or the University of Washington while the parents remain in China, or the house is bought as an investment or emergency bolt-hole and remains empty.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 12:11:32 AM »
Since BC imposed the 20% surcharge on foreign buyers of Vancouver homes, the sale of Seattle-area homes to mainland Chinese has soared.  Most of the activity is in the affluent eastside suburbs of Seattle: Bellevue, Kirkland and Redmond, home to Microsoft, Google and a host of dot coms. 

Many of the high-end real estate brokers in the area now advertise Mandarin-speaking staff and advertise in mainland China.  Many people buy a house for their teenage children, who attend Eastside schools or the University of Washington while the parents remain in China, or the house is bought as an investment or emergency bolt-hole and remains empty.

Same was happening in Santa Barbara before I moved, including buying condos for their kids who attended UCSB. I don't know what the current situation is.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 07:21:48 AM »
What Is this Chinese you speak of?

Sounds like a social construct.

They sound like proto Americans who just want to live the American dream.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 07:45:31 AM »
China doesn't have the money to "take over" here.

They could take over a city, but is that really a loss?

The article says the Chinese have “exported” roughly $800B.  California’s yearly budget is $200B.  The Chinese could take over a big chunk if they wanted to.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 08:00:44 AM »
The article says the Chinese have “exported” roughly $800B.  California’s yearly budget is $200B.  The Chinese could take over a big chunk if they wanted to.

Why do you guys hate capitalism?

They probably love mom and apple pie also.

Being an American is nothing more than a geographical location.

Our magic dirt grows freedom.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 02:19:01 PM »
I'd wager the Chinese, Koreans, Japanese etc etc orientals aren't flying the flags from where they came from as the peons from the Mexico, South and Central Americans do. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw