Author Topic: North Korea just tested another nuke.  (Read 6439 times)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
North Korea just tested another nuke.
« on: May 25, 2009, 02:18:07 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8066615.stm

North Korea conducts nuclear test

North Korea has staged a "successful" underground nuclear test, the state-run KCNA agency reports.

Here's hoping Obama can handle this as well as Kennedy did.  (I'm trying not to laugh at the thought.) Though, any outcome that doesn't end with North Korea nuking anyone successfully. 
Certainly even China must see that they are off the hobby horse of sanity by now, right?
Does this scare the hell out of anyone nearly as much as it does me?

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: North Korea just tested another nuke.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 03:24:32 AM »
Given that Barak and his administration lack the talent and intellect of JFK, not to mention the patriotism and commitment to "the American Way" (yes, in spite of everything else about him and his brothers, and being a wealthy overlord Democrat looking to control the serfs), I see no possibility of the current government being able to do much more than whine and whinge.

My estimate of Barak is that by Monday night he will still be doing the wide-eyed "what the heck just happened" blink, while Hillary will be advising him to look to the French to take the lead on multi-national discussions with NK.

The UN Security Council is going to meet on Monday.  Will our ambassador even have the guts to use the USA's veto power to prevent a resolution that is less than outright condemnation with sanctions?  Hah!  Even I can't delude myself into that dream.

And as for Japan's promise to "respond responsibly" at the UN meeting - the only responsible response I can imagine is asking to be released from the post-WWII self-defense-only military.  I'm pretty comfortable that their empire seeking days are over.

North Korea has in fact entered the nuclear family.  They are poised, as soon as they do some tweaking of ther delivery system, to replace India/Pakistan as the major worry in the world for setting off one or more of the things, as well as being a source for smaller devices that can be supplied to the freedom-loving peoples' revolutionaries around the world in their quest to throw off the yoke of western domination.

There was a really cheesy movie about 15-20 years ago about some US high-drag/low-speed warrior who infiltrated NK and blew up their nuclear bomb plant.  Maybe we ought to dust it off and start training up our troops on how it could be done in real life.

stay safe.  And this time I really mean it.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:07:55 AM »
NK doesn't want to set one off.  They want to use them as international currency, to be players on the world stage.  Short man's complex.  That, and to sell them to third world despots for oil and cash.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
That, and to sell them to third world despots for oil and cash.

That's the most troubling aspect of this. We don't know who they might sell to. They may have already been in negotiations and have delivery agreements.

I read in the last few days that Obama is in fairly regular contact with GW. I hope that Bush can give Obama some sound advice.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 10:44:42 AM »
I hope that Bush can give Obama some sound advice.
I'd rather he sought advice from Cheney.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 10:49:05 AM »
Hmm, I seem to recall that President Bush was in office when NK tested their first nuke.  Remind me again of how he definitively handled the situation in a Kennedy-like fashion?  Such that NK gave up their nuclear ambitions? 

I think Jamis is spot on.  NK will probably use this to secure foreign aid again. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 11:48:02 AM »
Don't you really need to go back to the Clinton days to get a little deeper?  It was the Clinton Administration that made a deal with NK to give them oil and food in return for abandoning their nuke program.  Bush was the one who cut off the oil and food since they hadn't stopped their nuke program.  Short of invading or bombing, I'm not sure if Bush could have gotten them to stop.  He was trying to get China involved in discussions with them a while back and Kerry and the Democrats were dumping on him for it. 

Honestly, I have to wonder if China wants them to have nukes as it gives them a patsy to play the crazy guy while they stand back and play straight man. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 09:30:52 PM »

Amen.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 09:52:49 PM »

Who was, as Ann Coulter put it, "the man conservatives secretly wish were president."

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=19231
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 10:37:27 PM »
On the famous "bright side," I'm sure what's his name can do an adequate job of tut-tutting. Hey, it worked miracles during the Carter years, didn't it?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 10:45:33 PM »
...handled the situation in a Kennedy-like fashion...

I don't want anybody to handle the situation in a Kennedy-like fashion. If Kruschev hadn't gotten the impression that Kennedy was an inexperienced lightweight (much like our current president), the missiles wouldn't have been sent to Cuba.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 10:56:19 PM »
Barack Obama: Makes Jimmy Carter look like a foreign policy whiz.

(Hey, that is no mean feat!)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wacki

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 12:03:40 AM »
That's the most troubling aspect of this. We don't know who they might sell to. They may have already been in negotiations and have delivery agreements.

I read in the last few days that Obama is in fairly regular contact with GW. I hope that Bush can give Obama some sound advice.

Source?  I'd love to see proof that Obama's #1 enemy-of-the-world is being used as a trusted adviser.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 07:26:46 AM »
Stealing a line P. J. O'Rourke used to describe Pakistan, the PDRK is "producing more history than they can consume locally".

I got the stink-eye from a few of the elders here for not giving a damn about the Nork's missile test of a month or two ago.  Well, this bit bothers me rather more.  My own nightmare scenario is a high-altitude burst/EMP attack.  Have any of there missile tests suggested they could get a warhead up and over the CONUS?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 10:39:16 AM »
I'm waiting to see a program of massive Federal aid offered to NK by Obama, followed by a generous "refugee" program that implants large numbers in the U.S.  No doubt U.S. universities can use still more foreign students at taxpayer expense.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 01:58:30 PM »
My own nightmare scenario is a high-altitude burst/EMP attack.  Have any of there missile tests suggested they could get a warhead up and over the CONUS?

The way relations tend to be handled, they could strap one to a surplus L-19, paddle it to the coast on a log raft, demand takeoff clearance at LAX, and carry it wherever they want before anyone would be permitted to do anything about it.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 04:14:33 PM »
Who cares about a little thing like North Korea when we now have a Latina up for SCOTUS?  Let's get our priorities straight. :|
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 12:41:09 AM »
I'm waiting to see a program of massive Federal aid offered to NK by Obama, followed by a generous "refugee" program that implants large numbers in the U.S.  No doubt U.S. universities can use still more foreign students at taxpayer expense.

If it was in trade for an equal number of deported illegal Mexicans, done deal.
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 05:13:02 AM »
A wave of anti-Communist North Koreans who've actually seen Communism first-hand would be a great thing, actually. The children of Russian expats are mostly conservatives - do the names Eugene and Alexander Volokh ring any bells?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 12:07:59 PM »
Not politics. Closed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.