Author Topic: Is this a back-door attempt at a weapons ban?  (Read 5097 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Is this a back-door attempt at a weapons ban?
« on: June 05, 2009, 04:04:53 PM »
http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=150

The Customs Department is redefining what is and isn't a switchblade for importation rules.  I found this buried in the Non Ifrearms area over at THR.US, and as I read it, it became clear to me that something no good is going on here.  Basically, in redefining the term "switchblade," teh new regs would include knives with assisted opening features.  The one example that quickly caught my attention was a knife from Fiskars Corp. that included a thumb stud on the blade for one handed opening.  No springs, levers, etc.  Just the now-typical thumb stud.  under proposed Customs regs, this would make the knife a switchblade.

Why do we care about importation rules?  My friends, you surely know how this works.  Someone syas to a legislative type "Customs has changed the laws on what is a switchblade.  It's now illegal to import these dangerous knives, but the law still lets you carry the same knife it is was made in America."  Next thing you know is someone is proposing a ban on "switchblades" which includes any knife with one handed opening features, like thumb studs or holes in the blade.

As minor as this may seem on the surface, I think we may need to watch this, and get pen and paper ready.  This could be the start of something really bad.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Is this a back-door attempt at a weapons ban?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:07:01 PM »
I, Mr. High'n'mighty when it comes to criticizing others for not looking for info on their own, have a lazy question.

Does the notice at knifefighters (motto - "We fight knives, all day every day, beat them knives!) contain any info on a comment period by Customs?  Is there a process to make one's feelings known to those making the decisions?

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 05:25:56 PM »
Third paragraph of the link:

Knife Rights and AKTI are formulating a response and will each be asking for an extension to the ridiculously short 30 day comment period. PLEASE DO NOT WRITE JUST YET. Within the next week we will post a form letter and talking points for your use. We will then need you to write and MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 05:37:31 PM »
Thanks dogmush.

Chris, when that is available please repost it here.

I'd like to help out the effort.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 07:14:18 PM »
Thanks dogmush.

Chris, when that is available please repost it here.

I'd like to help out the effort.

I will ditto that. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 08:22:59 PM »
The Customs Department is redefining what is and isn't a switchblade for importation rules.

What did those courageous boys and girls do: find all the pot?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »
What did those courageous boys and girls do: find all the pot?

I think it's more a matter of the mission-creep that's endemic to any bureaucracy. If they don't occasionally find new and interesting things to interdict, and they keep doing the same dependable job year in and out, that raises eyebrows that they're not "working hard enough".
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 10:41:45 PM »
Why do we care about importation rules?  My friends, you surely know how this works.  Someone says to a legislative type "Customs has changed the laws on what is a switchblade.  It's now illegal to import these dangerous knives, but the law still lets you carry the same knife it is was made in America."  Next thing you know is someone is proposing a ban on "switchblades" which includes any knife with one handed opening features, like thumb studs or holes in the blade.

I do export control and compliance for a living now.  There are a mind boggling number of restrictions exist on importing or exporting goods, services or information.  For instance, technically speaking, if you have any object on the US munitions list, you should always check proof of citizenship prior to making an export of any kind.  If you have FLIR devices, NVG's, composite items, avionics, advanced electronics, etc you can't 'export' without a license.  This is, a license per export (which is specific in scope and end user), there is no universal export license.  An export doesn't necessarily mean you're shipping something out of the country.  Simply showing the manual of an ITAR item to a foreign national is an export.  To give an example.  A Canadian walks into a camera store you happen to own in the US and says he is thinking of buying a FLIR or night vision camera (for whatever reason).  You show him the manual, but don't sell him anything.  Congrads, you just broke the law.  You exported technical data on an ITAR restricted item to a foreign national without an export license from the State Department.  Fines run from hundreds of thousands to tens of millions.  Jail time is optional, but can be quite stiff.

The Constitution grants the government extremely generous abilities to control the borders of the US.  The govt is essentially allowed to do whatever it pleases to whoever or whatever crosses said borders.  This is why Custom bans on non-sporting firearms will probably always be ruled Constitution, even if doing so domestically would violate Heller.  As much as I hate to say it, it's probably entirely Constitutional for Customs to ban importation of assisted open knives unless Congress overrules Customs.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 10:57:44 PM »
Under Wisconsin law, if a knife can be opened with one hand, it's a switchblade.

As for exports, I didn't realize that things were as crazy as RevDisc describes until I got a call from a guy from Belgrade who was visiting the US. He wanted to know if it was legal for him to buy a plain 3-9x40 scope from me and take it home with him. I spent nearly an hour talking to different government agencies, and was finally told that he couldn't do it. He needed an export license to take it home.  :rolleyes:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 11:26:51 PM »
As for exports, I didn't realize that things were as crazy as RevDisc describes until I got a call from a guy from Belgrade who was visiting the US. He wanted to know if it was legal for him to buy a plain 3-9x40 scope from me and take it home with him. I spent nearly an hour talking to different government agencies, and was finally told that he couldn't do it. He needed an export license to take it home.  :rolleyes:

Oh, oh.  Lemme guess!

You had to call the following:

US State Department - Directorate for Defense Trade Controls because it is on the US Munitions List so it is governed by International Trade in Arms Regulations. 

US Department of Commerce - Bureau of Industry and Security because it is governed by Export Administration Regulations.

And maybe, just maybe, the US Department of Defense - Defense Technology Security Administration because one or both of the previously meantioned departments incorrectly thought it was a foreign military sale (FMS).

Then, once you have all of your export licenses, end user certificates, export indentification numbers, statements that it is not a FSM, you called up Customs.  Or more wisely, you called up an international shipping expediting company that specializes in shipping ITAR stuff, and pay them a lot of money to talk to Customs for you.

Could be worse.  You would be trying to export the most advanced helicopters on the planet, filled with electronics, avionics, composite materials, FLIR/NVG stuff, and occassionally weapon mounts to random countries around the globe on a daily basis.  Oh, occassionally to heads of state, paramilitary groups or counterinsurgency folks.  Yay, I love my job. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:31:02 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 11:42:18 PM »
No, RevDisk. I got as far as the Customs office (they call it by some other name, though) in Chicago, and was told no. I tried to explain that this was just a plain jane rifle scope that you'd put on a deer rifle, but that didn't cut it.

If I need to export a helicopter, though, I'll know who to contact. ;)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 02:22:51 PM »
The export restrictions are broad-ranging.

When I had my custom 6.5-06 dies made by RCBS, there was paperwork in the box explaining in no uncertain terms that the dies could not be exported to certain countries. 

I thought it was intriguing, because one of the countries on the list was the former Yugoslavia. This was right about the same time that we were having problems with snipers shooting at our guys during the Bosnian War, and it wasn't too difficult to see why a 6.5-06 reloading set wouldn't be the best thing to send over there...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 06:05:16 PM »
>Under Wisconsin law, if a knife can be opened with one hand, it's a switchblade.<

Are you positive on that, Dick? Most of the folding knives I own fit that criteria. Hell, most of the folders in Sprawlmart do!
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »
941.24 Possession of switchblade knife. (1) Whoever
manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses
or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens
by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by
gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) Within 30 days after April 16, 1959, such knives shall be
surrendered to any peace officer.
History: 1977 c. 173.

I'd say that pretty much covers any knife that can be opened with one hand. I remember a case from at least ten years ago when a carpet installer riding a bus was arrested for carrying a switchblade. It was the utility knife he used for work.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »

I'd say that pretty much covers any knife that can be opened with one hand. I remember a case from at least ten years ago when a carpet installer riding a bus was arrested for carrying a switchblade. It was the utility knife he used for work.

I don't really see anything in there that bans knives that open using a thumb stud or hole.  "Thrust or movement" means that it can be opened by flicking the wrist, which most one-handed knives prevent by using a detent, which means they can't be opened that way until they're already partially opened.  Otherwise, they could classify ANY folding knives as being switchblades, because they are also opened using a "thrust or movement" and the statute doesn't say anything about being able to be opened only by one hand.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »
Actually, I have a Gerber Combat Applegate folder that I can "flip" open quite easily. And I've opened it around cops before, without any problem...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 11:32:53 PM »
There's a lot of knives I see in stores that I'm sure a DA could argue constitute a switchblade if he so wished. "Thrust or movement" sounds pretty vague.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 05:23:07 AM »
Actually, I have a Gerber Combat Applegate folder that I can "flip" open quite easily. And I've opened it around cops before, without any problem...
I can do the same with my Gerber Kiowa. Flicking my wrist in the right way, and with enough force, and it opens up with a rather satisfying sound.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 11:37:44 AM »
Obviously, the WI knife laws are overly broad and vague on purpose.

It's just a tool to prosecute those they don't like for whatever other reasons, legitimate or not.  Nothing proves it better than that half of Wallyworld's knife case is illegal by even just a moderate reading of WI knife law. At least all the Kershaw assisted openers are at minimum.

Does anyone know if the "switchblade" laws were passed in the 50's, during the "West Side Story" version of youth/crime/fear? I'm feeling too lazy to research it.
I promise not to duck.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 11:58:01 AM »
Does anyone know if the "switchblade" laws were passed in the 50's, during the "West Side Story" version of youth/crime/fear? I'm feeling too lazy to research it.

They were. From wikipedia:

This was most prominent in the late 1950s, when films such as The Wild One in 1954, Rebel Without a Cause and High School Confidential in 1955, the Broadway play West Side Story and 12 Angry Men in 1957 all featured switchblades, and were closely followed by the US Switchblade Act of 1958 (a federal law; individual state laws differ widely)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 11:31:05 AM »
I would ask what makes a switchblade more dangerous than other knives, but it is likely the same as the extra lethality an AR-15 has when you add a bayonet lug.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 04:56:34 PM »
I think it's more a matter of the mission-creep that's endemic to any bureaucracy. If they don't occasionally find new and interesting things to interdict, and they keep doing the same dependable job year in and out, that raises eyebrows that they're not "working hard enough".
Ya KNOW! That doesn't just apply to the Customs boys.

It's also the best description of exactly what's wrong with Congress and the bozos we send there I've ever read...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 05:03:53 PM »

We've got almost the same law in OK. What's wierd is that it is legal to sell those types of knives and believe me they are for sale at almost every flea market. It is not legal to own one. How can a retailer sell them then without owning them? Retailers are excepted.

I expect the law was written as it was for the same reasons that one poster already posited: Broad enough so that it is one of those laws DA's can use to nail your every day average evil doer for something.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online