Author Topic: Lost on the Appalachian Trail  (Read 77 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Lost on the Appalachian Trail
« on: May 04, 2024, 11:03:22 AM »
I ran into this tragic story from 2013. An elderly woman was hiking the Appalachian Trail and got lost while going off trail for a bathroom break. She remained lost for a month before dying of exposure (based on the journal they found).

This is one of those instances where she did the recommended thing by staying in one place, but would have been better off moving. Apparently Search and Rescue came within 100 yards of her tent, with dogs even, and missed her.

https://historicflix.com/the-heartbreaking-tale-of-geraldine-largay/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Lost on the Appalachian Trail
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 01:09:11 PM »
100 yards is pretty far in thicker woods.  I can see how they wouldn't see her.  I am curious if they were making noise, but if she was sleeping maybe it wouldn't matter. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 01:31:54 PM »
100 yards is pretty far in thicker woods.  I can see how they wouldn't see her.  I am curious if they were making noise, but if she was sleeping maybe it wouldn't matter.

No doubt, which is why it appears she made the normally safe move to plant herself. Sadly, she was also pretty close to a clearing they flew over where they would have spotted her. The article mentioned she was "easily lost", and I wonder if she was just too scared to move even 50 yards?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 08:53:26 PM »
I think I recall that story, I often track stories about missing hikers.

I'm glad I spent a lot of time in the BSA in the early seventies.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 11:15:28 PM »
Most people would be shocked at the amount of people who die in the woods, and in areas that aren’t really that remote. It’s a fairly frequent occurrence oftened marked by nothing more than a local missing persons report.

We had a case of a guy who died just off trail (tumbled off a ledge) and it took three days to find his body, and that was on a fairly easy trail.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:17:08 AM »
She should have fired three shots in quick succession from time to time.  I understand three shots (or three of anything) is a "universal" sign of trouble and gunfire can be heard with reasonable directionability for at least a mile, even through heavy woods.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.