Author Topic: Walther CCP  (Read 8313 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Walther CCP
« on: May 28, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
Anyone have one?

I was able to get hands on a used one today and I REALLY like it.

Fits my hand really well.

Single stack, thumb safety, 9mm.

Thinking seriously about one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Walther CCP
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 04:25:56 PM »
I had one, briefly.  I took it home, field stripped it, cleaned it, then tried to reassemble it.  I don't remember the exact problem, but I just could not get the thing back together.  I seem to recall that with the slide locked back, I couldn't get the takedown lever to rotate back to true.  I hit up Google, did my best, and with a Herculean effort just short of brute force, managed to get it back into battery.

That sapped my confidence completely, and I returned it.  Rumor is that the CCP is made by Umarex under Walther supervision, but is still not up to Walther's standards.  Also, there may be a recall in effect.  You're better off with the PPQ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_CCP
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »
PPQ...

Nope. No thumb safety.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 04:57:20 PM »
The CCP does have a recall, on the first version.  Not drop safe in some circumstances, is my possibly fallible recollection.  The new version supposedly has an easier take down.

Interesting because of the tech, but (to me) not much otherwise.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 05:01:18 PM »
I ended up with a S&W Shield .40, manual safety, perhaps that in 9x19mm meets your criteria.  I am happy with mine.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 10:19:21 PM »
Seems to me I've been on-and-off hearing a lot of cases where guns have been locking up on re-assembly.  I had a PF-9 which would do this unless I used a slave pin made out of a Q-Tip stick to hold things in alignment while reassembling.  (Otherwise, it took a lot of vigorous shaking in all three axes while gently pushing-pulling alternately on the slide to unjam it.)

I also know that my Kahr CW9 has very specific instructions in the manual for re-assembly, which if not exacty followed, may require the gun be sent back to the factory.  It says so, in words.  In English.

So what the heck is going on?  Is there an endemic problem with DAO autos with ramp lockup (as opposed to link locking) which should be corrected?

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 09:08:45 AM »
Damn. Never had a single issue like that with my Kahr K9... Still miss that handgun. I ended up selling it to Mtnbkr, and for some reason not long afterward it developed a very unreliable streak. I'd shot it a bunch, and he'd also shot it a bunch before he bought it. It went back to the factory a couple of times but never did get sorted out to his satisfaction. I think Kahr ended up replacing it for him, and he got rid of the replacement.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 01:20:09 PM »
Ah, found it:

Now, carefully insert the Slide Stop at the 4:00
o’clock position approx. half way through the
frame opening and the kidney shaped cutout in
the barrel lug (see photo #10). At this point adjust
the Slide Stop to the 3:00 o’clock position
to allow the slide stop spring to catch the top
of the landing on the slide stop. Make sure the
slide stop does not miss the kidney shaped cutout
as this will result in the gun being returned
to the factory for service.

Page 22, https://www.kahr.com/PDF/kahrmanual.pdf

Of course, that's the Kahr Cw9, not the Walther anyway.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 01:22:37 PM »
No freaking way... Well, that knocks the CW9 off my list of potential purchases.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 01:59:54 PM »
Seems to me I've been on-and-off hearing a lot of cases where guns have been locking up on re-assembly.  I had a PF-9 which would do this unless I used a slave pin made out of a Q-Tip stick to hold things in alignment while reassembling.  (Otherwise, it took a lot of vigorous shaking in all three axes while gently pushing-pulling alternately on the slide to unjam it.)

Now that you mention it, I remember that from the stretch of years I owned a PF9.   You were supposed to make sure the barrel hood was pushed down before pushing the retaining pin through.  Somehow I never managed to get mine jammed up.

(Would I get another?  Probably not.  It was kind of an impluse purchase, that mostly worked well.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »
Guy I knew had an FP9 and had big problems with a pin wanting to back out. It went back to Kel-Tec at least once but he ended up getting rid of it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 03:25:27 PM »
Good lord... Bud's has the Walther CCP M2 for less than $300.

Hell, at that price I think it's a gimmie that I'm going to give it a try.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 08:19:32 AM »
Going to order the CCP M2 either today or tomorrow.

Ought to be interesting.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 10:56:44 AM »
Looking forward to a report. At that price, could be worth adding to the collection...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 11:43:34 AM »
Just ordered it from Bud's.

Damn that was WAY too easy...

I could see myself doing some very bad things to my bank account...

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 12:23:37 PM »
I drive down to Buds once in awhile. Learned that if it's on the shelf at their retail store it's often a bit cheaper there.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 02:24:20 PM »
Just ordered it from Bud's.

Damn that was WAY too easy...

I could see myself doing some very bad things to my bank account...
Very easy.  Especially when you get on email lists for Bud's and Classic Firearms and others who have decent prices and they all have your FFL on file.   =D   >:D >:D

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 07:57:30 AM »
Unfortunately, or fortunately, I'm not within driving distance of Bud's. That could be... dangerous.

Really looking forward to getting this thing and putting it though its paces. I spoke briefly with Tamara about it. She tested one of the first generation ones and more or less liked it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 10:14:03 AM »
 Rumor is that the CCP is made by Umarex under Walther supervision, but is still not up to Walther's standards.  

Not a rumor, sort of, which can be confirmed by the Arnsburg proofs on the slide and/or barrel although Walther does say they have their own people at the Umarex factory from what I've read. Walthers will typically have Ulm proofs.

Got this off the internet.

"Staghorn" proofmark:

Ulm: P99, PPS, PPQ, PPX, Creed

"Three crowns" proofmark:

Umarex: P22, G22, SP22, PK380, CCP

BTW: Umarex owns Walther

Edit: Read that there may be exceptions to the above proofs that come about because one or the other proof house may be back logged
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:32:59 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 10:21:00 AM »
I've read stuff from people who have reservations about Umarex making handguns because THEY MAKE AIRSOFT GUNS!!!!

And Glock made curtain rods before they went whole hog into handguns.

Granted, the early P22s I saw looked like the injection mold grinder had had a few too many beers & brats at lunch...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
I've read stuff from people who have reservations about Umarex making handguns because THEY MAKE AIRSOFT GUNS!!!!

And Glock made curtain rods before they went whole hog into handguns.

Granted, the early P22s I saw looked like the injection mold grinder had had a few too many beers & brats at lunch...

P22s have had problems with the slides cracking and in some cases just falling apart. Google P22 slide crack
Not sure if they ever worked it out. Read the slide is a zinc alloy
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 08:26:25 AM »
Lots of .22s use some sort of zinc alloy (Zamak, or something like that) for the slides, even ones from the big manufacturers.

I believe the CCP's slide is stainless steel.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2019, 08:46:03 AM »
Lots of .22s use some sort of zinc alloy (Zamak, or something like that) for the slides, even ones from the big manufacturers.

I believe the CCP's slide is stainless steel.

I believe it is, I was commenting on the P22.

And yes many other 22s use a zinc alloy for their slides. I think the issue is the slide + the way the slide impacts the frame causing stress cracks in the slide. Zinc alloys just doesn't hold up very well under such conditions. There's plenty of photographic evidence to show the P22 has or had a problem in that department. That said I have one of the newer P22s and haven seen any problems but I will admit I haven't shot it all that much.

Back to the CCP

I've actually been recommending the CCP to people who have trouble racking the slides on many semi-auto handguns. The gas piston design on the CCP allows for a weaker recoil spring to be used than most which thus allows easier racking. I was going to buy a CCP for my daughter for this reason but she settled on the M&P Gen1 Compact.
Other than needing a take down tool and the recent drop safe recall*  in the Gen 1 I havn't heard of really real issues with the CCP.

* My Walther PPS M2 has an ongoing very similar recall BTW

- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2019, 08:51:41 AM »
"I believe it is, I was commenting on the P22."

I know, I was drawing the clear distinction to make sure that no one else got the wrong idea.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »
YAY! My CCP is finally in shipping! It should be here in a couple of days!