Author Topic: Woman gives birth in jail cell: mucho dinero ahead in Denver  (Read 807 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Woman gives birth in jail cell: mucho dinero ahead in Denver
« on: August 30, 2019, 12:38:38 PM »
https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/08/29/diana-sanchez-denver-jail-labor-birth/

If I was the risk manager for Denver Health and/or the City of Denver, I would be sweating bullets right now. The only thing that will hold the cost of the ultimate settlement down is that apparently neither mom nor baby suffered any permanent medical harm as a result of this.  If the baby had sustained brain damage as a result of delivery, you would most likely be talking a seven or eight figure settlement or verdict.

If I was plaintiff counsel handling the case and it went to trial, I would ensure two things: have as many women as possible on the jury, preferably who have given birth, and I would play the video at trial.  This should maximize the chance of a large verdict.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Woman gives birth in jail cell: mucho dinero ahead in Denver
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 01:26:11 PM »
You know, at first I thought this was shocking, but after further reflection, it seems to be right on par with my opinion of most government services.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 03:11:18 PM »
Do prisoners commonly fake health issues of one kind or another?  Or did this particular woman do something like that?  Trying to figure out if there was any particular reason they might have ignored her other than they don't care.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 04:06:44 PM »
Wonder what she's in jail for.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 04:42:07 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/30/us/denver-birth-in-jail-lawsuit/index.html

From this article, we see that she was in for identity fraud, was later sentenced to two years probation, and was on methadone for heroin withdrawal at the time of delivery.  Not the most low-risk pregnancy.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.