Author Topic: Don't do 'shrooms!  (Read 7830 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Don't do 'shrooms!
« on: July 31, 2009, 11:11:06 AM »
http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=10818777

KEVIL, KY (KFVS) - A man was shot and killed in McCracken County after police say he tried to break into a family's home around 2:00 a.m.

The family woke to the sound of the alarm system, indicating the door to the attached garage had been opened.  The homeowner went outside to investigate, when he heard his wife inside screaming.

He ran back into the home where his wife told him the intruder, later identified as 18-year-old Andrew Caleb Barnett, was inside their attached garage attempting to get into the home through a wooden door with a window, according to police. The homeowner reportedly yelled several times that he had a gun, telling Barnett not to come inside. However, Barnett continued to make advances toward the man. Police say the homeowner fired one shot at Barnett, hitting him in the arm, and going into his chest area. Barnett apparently fell to the floor but got back up fighting the homeowner, at one point, biting him in the arm.

The fight continued through the home and eventually back into the garage. When police arrived they arrested Barnett and transported him to Western Baptist Hospital for the gunshot, but he ultimately died.

The McCracken County Police Department reports the 18-year-old was under the influence of Psilocybin Mushrooms, or "Magic Mushrooms" as they're called on the street, and thought he was inside his own home. At one point, he even called the homeowner "Dad".

Police located four people who apparently provided the drugs to Barnett and arrested them. They were identified as 19-year-old Taylor Thompson of West Paducah, 19-year-old Zachary Rodgers of Kevil, 18-year-old Ryan Bridges of West Paducah and 18-year-old Kristen Mohler of Kevil.

Additional charges are possible as the investigation continues. Charges against the homeowner are not expected.

Just tragic.

Guy gets appropriate Darwin award delivered at 1000+fps, but it's just awful how it ended up playing out in hindsight.

As an aside:  this is why modern cookiecutter neighborhoods suck.  If a neighborhood only has 3 floorplans and all the houses look alike, drunk/stoned teens are gonna come home to the wrong house.

I do appreciate the news service doing the right thing and calling this a "man" rather than a kid or a child though.  He did manufacture the situation, after all.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Don't do 'shrooms!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 01:25:45 PM »
Stupid things happen to stupid people.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 01:51:08 PM »
Reminds me of a former co-worker of mine. He was also into 'shrooms, various drugs not yet classified as such and thus legal, and other mysterious substances. Bunch of people from my job were at a party once. They see Druggie Co-worker sitting on a sofa, both feet up on the sofa, hugging around his legs and staring at the floor. When asked what's wrong, he responds with "There's a pink crocodile on the floor..."

Had another case in a nearby town. Police pick up a very naked young man from a fountain. Turns out he's high as a kite on 'shrooms of some sort, and now believes there's snakes slithering all over his body, which he was trying to wash off...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Home Depot George

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »
Even though I've been sober for a long time now back in the late 70's early 80's we were into shrooms and lsd( I was a very serious Dead Head) I never saw anyone get that psycho off of anything but angel dust. Maybe they are feeding the cows something different these days =D =D =D

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 04:02:20 PM »
How the heck did they charge four people with giving him the mushrooms? What did they all give him a piece each or is this some drug dealing ring? That's the only stupid thing in this article. . . well besides the kid whacking out on mushrooms and breaking into someones house.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 04:13:55 PM »
I'm guessing they where his suppliers, he had more than one person to get the drugs from.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 04:30:12 PM »
In the neighborhood where I grew up, we had a 19 year old man get high on shrooms while chatting in a IRC chatroom called #drugs and then decide to go running stark naked through the streets with a knife cutting himself and breaking windows out of peoples homes. He was even kind enough to tell his online buddies to look for him in the news tomorrow. When the police responded, he ran completely over the top of one police cruiser, then ran around the side of the second and stabbed at the police offer through the window. The officer shot and killed him. Moral of the story was about the same as this one. Search for Dan Bucci in Mayfield Heights, OH to find the chat logs and police cruiser videos, I think they're still out there on the internet.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 04:45:55 PM »
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 05:06:24 PM »
Police say the homeowner fired one shot at Barnett, hitting him in the arm, and going into his chest area. Barnett apparently fell to the floor but got back up fighting

The call can never be made loud enough, "USE ENOUGH GUN AND SHOOT TILL THE THREAT IS NO MORE."
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 05:11:41 PM »
The call can never be made loud enough, "USE ENOUGH GUN AND SHOOT TILL THE THREAT IS NO MORE."

For all we know he got shot and then shouted something completely un-nerving like "Geez, Dad!  Don't shoot at me!"

Heck, I'm 31 and without kids, but I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger again (if I found I could pull it in the first place) under those circumstances.

Imagine being a 40 year old father with kids and hearing that.

At one point, he even called the homeowner "Dad".

Yick.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 05:24:36 PM »
Sad.

For all we know he got shot and then shouted something completely un-nerving like "Geez, Dad!  Don't shoot at me!"
Heck, I'm 31 and without kids, but I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger again (if I found I could pull it in the first place) under those circumstances.
Yick.

No kidding, my stomach is in a knot just thinking about it.  Serious bummer.  Even if the shoot was justified, the guy is probably going to have some issues dealing with that night for a long time.

It's better when criminals are dirt bags.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 05:29:55 PM by mellestad »

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 05:37:53 PM »

Yick.

I'm 41 with 2 daughters and would sure as heck blow this kid away to protect them and my wife.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 09:54:52 PM »
That is a sad story, assuming the kid really was really that messed up and thought he was at his own house. 

I did a hell of a lot of partying in my younger days...including shrooms a few times.  The weirdest night of my life (or close) was when I went to a Black Oak Arkansas concert while doing shrooms.  It wasn't the shrooms though...it was the people sitting in front, and beside of me.  The only activity I didn't witness that night was bestiality.  I always knew where I was though. 

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 10:40:30 PM »
*sigh*

Never do that stuff unless you've got a trusted, and preferably experienced, friend to watch over you, or a very safe controlled environment.

Or, even better, just don't do it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 11:59:44 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 10:58:08 PM »
badger badger badger MUSHROOMS MUSHROOMS badger badger badger.....
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 11:38:35 PM »
When I was babysitting dormlings, we had a few episodes of what, at first glance, seemed straight forward hallucinogenic mushroom events.  Came to find out that the dealer had purchased dried culinary mushrooms at a Chinese grocery at $12.50/pound, then resold them at $20/gram for a bit better than 72k% markup.  What we really had was a magnificent demonstration of the placebo effect, not to mention buying low and selling (pardon the expression) high.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 10:03:18 AM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 01:02:51 AM »
 =D

Did you check their rooms for baggies of oregano? 

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 03:01:05 AM »

When I was babysitting dormlings, we had a few episodes of what, at first glance, seemed straight forward hallucinogenic mushroom events.  Came to find out that the dealer had purchased dried culinary mushrooms at a Chinese grocery at $12.50/pound, then resold them at $20/gram for a bit better than 71k% markup.  What we really had was a magnificent demonstration of the placebo effect, not to mention buying low and selling (pardon the expression) high.

Enterprising fellow. Doing it more than once or maybe twice can be very detrimental to your health, though.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 11:47:10 AM »
Enterprising fellow. Doing it more than once or maybe twice can be very detrimental to your health, though.

If he's selling to college students(IE inexperienced), and they're actually hallucinating off the stuff, who's going to know the difference?

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 01:33:10 PM »
The finding that the the dealer was selling culinary mushrooms came from a lab test of product taken from one of the "victims."  To my knowledge, the dealer was not identified or caught.  California, as do many states, holds that selling harmless counterfeits like Fistful's oregano constitutes the same crime as selling the actual illegal substance:  the dealer would have faced felony time.

The best of the whole thing was when one of the "victims," who washed his 'shrooms down with most of a bottle of Jim Beam, decked a small female paramedic as she tried to do her assessment.  When they had the fool in the ambulance there were no single shot doses of syrup of ipecac ready, so the gal was pouring one.  Mr. Placebo Effect snatched the nearly full 1 liter bottle and chugged it. :O  NO ONE, not the paramedics, not the four sworn LEOs, not the two security officers, none of the several housing staff, made the slightest effort to stop him.  =D :angel:

As one of the LEOs closed the ambulance doors, the paramedic was seen pulling a BIG garbage bag from a dispenser...
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 01:57:29 PM »
Wow, Chuck, that story just keeps getting better.   :laugh:

Why the harshness on people who sell placebos? 

P5 Guy

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 05:47:02 PM »
That' what the DAs office said the guy that beat on my door at a quarter til two was on.
He's in mediation and will be making restitution some day. I'm not holding my breath.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 11:35:05 AM »
I much prefer fried morels.  mmmmmm haven't had any fresh ones in two years though, gonna have to go hunting next spring.

The only activity I didn't witness that night was bestiality.  I always knew where I was though. 

Wow, I need to party with you.

I've "experimented" with some things, but I've never been so out of it as to not know where I was.  I still don't get how people black out while drinking.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 01:06:05 PM »
A few years ago Houston saw a couple of incidents fairly close together of drunks coming home to the wrong house and beating on the door when their key didn't work.  At least one was shot through the door.  Both were killed though.  No charges on the homeowners that I ever heard of. 

If you are already stupid, alcohol or other drugs ain't going to improve the situation.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge