Author Topic: New tires is mo' betta  (Read 8082 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
New tires is mo' betta
« on: April 10, 2010, 07:39:46 PM »
Just got a new set of skins on the truck - Michelin LTX M/S - to replace the Goodyear Wrangler HD's that were on it.  The Goodys were gosh-awful rough and traction was a fond memory, especially if there was even a hint of moisture on the pavement.  Noisy suckers too.  The Michelins are quiet, smooth, and have plenty of traction.  The ride quality is about 1000% improved.  Much better!  The downside it the giant tire-sized hole in my bank account.  They are rated for 65k though.  If previous experience with Michelins holds, I should get at least that or better.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:35:49 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: New tires is mo' betta
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »
I got 70,000 miles out of my last set of Michelins.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:50:38 PM »
I wouldn't think that traction would be much of a problem in Lubbock  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:06:44 PM »
Good tires, The thing I've always noticed about higher profile truck tires in Michelin is a pretty compliant sidewall. Nice for the ride and traction, not so nice if you want to drive a slalom in a Suburban.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »
I got 52000 miles (and 9 years) out of the Generals that came on my 2WD Chevy -- should have gotten about 65000 but I didn't rotate the spare. (I *think* the spare wheel matches.)  I replaced the fat P-metric Generals (P255/70R16) with skinny load range D Kuhmo truck tires (LT215/85R16), and it's amazing how much better traction I had this winter, and I'm getting better gas mileage too.  When these wear out, I might put Michelin 215's on, but I didn't want to pay that much and then maybe hate the tall skinny tires.

Not sure what to do with that 9 year old General spare tire that's never been on the ground and doesn't match.  (Yeah, I know I'm a dumbass)
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:35:39 PM »
I just had to put a pair of tires on my truck yesterday (we don't replace all 4 at the same time, just the set that's worn the most).

I'm using BF Goodrich Longtrail T/As, and they seem to do well. It had a set of Michelens on it when it was purchased.

Not sure what to do with that 9 year old General spare tire that's never been on the ground and doesn't match.  (Yeah, I know I'm a dumbass)

Eh, we don't rotate our spare either. Doesn't matter. Just replace it sometime soon, before it totally dryrots. In fact, I'd just keep one of the tires that comes off your truck next time and swap it out with that.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »
Eh, we don't rotate our spare either. Doesn't matter. Just replace it sometime soon, before it totally dryrots. In fact, I'd just keep one of the tires that comes off your truck next time and swap it out with that.

When I switch tire sizes and I have a full-sized spare, I am not above asking the tire faries for a used but serviceable tire in the new size.  They are usually hapy to sell, mount, & balance it for a fraction of the cost of a new tire.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 11:25:41 AM »
Try buying tires for a Ford Ranger with 14" wheels. Ya pretty much takes what ya can get...

I ended up buying a full set of snow tires for it (definitely more gooder in snow than than the Wranglers, which were decent) and was tempted to get an extra set. With my luck, the truck will last me another 100k and I'll be reduced to buying tires from a scrap yard.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 05:22:51 PM »
I put Fusion XT's on my F-150 last fall.  COst me $120 per tire + $25 shipping from Tirerack.  They are awesome on wet pavement and did pretty damn good in the snow this past winter. 

I was looking at the Firestone Destination A/T but couldn't swallow the $200 per tire locally.  From Tirerack they were $185 with $25 shipping per tire.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 05:36:54 PM »
I put Fusion XT's on my F-150 last fall.  COst me $120 per tire + $25 shipping from Tirerack.  They are awesome on wet pavement and did pretty damn good in the snow this past winter. 

I was looking at the Firestone Destination A/T but couldn't swallow the $200 per tire locally.  From Tirerack they were $185 with $25 shipping per tire.
[/u]

UH, did I miss something here?  You paid $210 per tire from an internet dealer when you could have gotten tires for $200 locally?  Somehow the math doesn't work for me.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 05:53:45 PM »
He paid $145 for tires from Tirerack instead of a different $200 tire locally that would have cost even more at Tirerack.

(I bought my Kuhmos at tirerack last fall.  First time I've ever ordered tires online before)
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 11:43:31 AM »
Try buying tires for a Ford Ranger with 14" wheels. Ya pretty much takes what ya can get...

I ended up buying a full set of snow tires for it (definitely more gooder in snow than than the Wranglers, which were decent) and was tempted to get an extra set. With my luck, the truck will last me another 100k and I'll be reduced to buying tires from a scrap yard.

I had the same problem when I owned a VW van -- it took 7.00-14D tires.  :'(

Check these out: (notice they are radial 8 ply truck tires)  HTH
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_09535849000P
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 11:49:02 AM »
I got a new set of BFG AT's last month.  Lovin' on 'em.  A little rougher ride than the previous tires, but the traction on dirt roads and in wet conditions is 100% better. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 02:28:50 PM »
I had the same problem when I owned a VW van -- it took 7.00-14D tires.  :'(

Check these out: (notice they are radial 8 ply truck tires)  HTH
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_09535849000P

I own a 78 VW Transporter myself. Couldn't really say where it is right now though. Just think, if you put 15 or larger tires on it, how much longer your windshield washers would operate!  =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 06:36:46 PM »
My mother has Michelin LTX on her Explorer.  Nice enough tire on pavement and in snow, but I've found 'em to be pretty useless off road.

I've had BFG A/Ts on another Explorer.  Good off road, but crummy on snow and ice.  Not so nice on pavement, either.

I'm looking at the Firestone Destination A/Ts for my 4Runner.  Supposed to be nice on road, in snow, and at least mediocre offroad.  Also considering Goodyear Silent Armors.  They're supposed to be good at all three.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 07:49:57 PM »

I'm looking at the Firestone Destination A/Ts for my 4Runner.  Supposed to be nice on road, in snow, and at least mediocre offroad.  Also considering Goodyear Silent Armors.  They're supposed to be good at all three.

I use GT Radial Adventuro A/T II's year-round on my company's work trucks.  We do lawnservice, landscaping and snowplowing.  They're just fine on dry pavement, and I've never had a truck get stuck in the snow with them.  They're also significantly cheaper than the name brands.  I get them for $113 each, and those are LT's! (rated for heavy duty loads).  You should look into them.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:53:38 PM by Declaration Day »

The Lone Haranguer

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 07:58:56 PM »
Poor quality or bad (worn out, out of round, chopped up) tires have a way of making a perfectly good vehicle ride and drive like crap.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 09:14:18 PM »

I'm looking at the Firestone Destination A/Ts for my 4Runner.  Supposed to be nice on road, in snow, and at least mediocre offroad.  Also considering Goodyear Silent Armors.  They're supposed to be good at all three.

I'm not sure any tire could be really good at all three.  =|

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »
14 inch tires, if you take a tape measure to the tires on your truck, i bet you can match up the sizes and find a fit in metric. the only hard part is the math on weight handling. ;)

this might help
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevylist/tech/tire_size_conversion.htm

edit: found an easier way =D

I'm not sure any tire could be really good at all three.  =|

it's a car tire, but the goodyear triple tread is good at all the, and ok in mud but i never tried more than lawn driving with them. :angel: they didn't hold up very well though. maybe one of these =D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:45:42 PM by sanglant »

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 10:06:57 PM »
I'm not sure any tire could be really good at all three.  =|

There's no real reason they couldn't be.  There are a number of designs that combine off road and on road abilities.  Take one of those and add some siping for snow and ice and you'd have the problem licked.

The GYSA and the Firestone A/T both use that basic strategy,a nd the reports on them are favorable.  Add siping to the BFG A/T and you'd have the same basic idea.

I plan to buy a set of the GYSAs or Firestones in a week or three.  Hopefully they'll live up to the rumors.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 11:54:19 AM »
There are a number of designs that combine off road and on road abilities.

But not maximize either.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 05:14:44 PM »
the man that want's tire perfection needs 5 sets of wheels.

one for dry road.
one for wet road.
one for snow/ice.
and one for off road.
and one for mudding.
 [tinfoil] [popcorn] :angel:
oh and a one big truck to tote them all and a floor jack everywhere he goes. :P

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 07:19:53 PM »
After a full day out in the rain I am mo' hapeez wif da new tires.  No loss of traction at all.  In the wet the old tires were useless.  I might as well have been driving on ice.  No traction whatsoever, to the point that the front end would actually begin skipping out in corners if I was going any faster than a crawl.  I'm sooooo glad I popped for the new ones.  Shouldn't have to worry about them til the truck is approaching 100k.

For the record, I am highly impressed with the Michelin LTX M/S series.  I can heartily recommend them to anyone considering new truck tires.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 09:31:48 PM »
For the record, I am highly impressed with the Michelin LTX M/S series.  I can heartily recommend them to anyone considering new truck tires.

I have the wholesale/Costco version of the LTX (X Radial LT), which I understand to be the same tire with slightly modified pattern. I've also been quite happy with them so far, been great in sun, rain, snow, and some light off-roading.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 10:35:37 PM »
I've been extremely pleased with the Kumho "Road Venture AT KL78"s that I bought at tirerack.com, and they really seem to help with fuel economy (I keep 60# of air in the front tires now and 55# in the back when I'm running around without a load, and I increase the rears to 65# when I'm hauling something.  I couldn't put near that much air in the P255's the truck used to have.)

I have about 5000 miles on 'em; I'll get them rotated at the next oil change.  (also need to get the brake lines and fuel line inspected for rust...)
"It's good, though..."